Mares Puck 4 runs Buhlmann with GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The new Mares Puck 4 runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF. It has several presets and allows custom GFs. I confirmed this in the owner's manual. Another computer joins the Buhlmann ranks. List is $390

1711112600229.png

For the sake of anyone buying one, I hope their tech support has improved.....

For the sake of anyone buying one, I hope their tech support has improved.....
They actually have tech support to improve?

It looks like it will still lock you out though.
BINGO!

From the manual:

- Missed deco stop violation.
In case of a violation, Puck 4 will restrict the
use for 24 hours, and will only allow operation
in Bottom Timer mode, continuously displaying
the violation symbols

My brand new computer does not work!!!! There are many divers simply either do not read the manual or do not fully understand the implication of violating the "instruction" given by the computer.
What is "deco stop"? LOL.
Only diver gets DCS not the computer.

I want a Mares Puck 5 ie. Buhlmann ZH-L16C with factory preset GF at half the price.

I would say for the target users the lockout is necessary. Many diver just wear and have no clue what the numbers, flashing amber or red means. Just last week a diver on the dive I was a part of was wondering why here Apple watch was flashing yellow. I had a look and she didn't go into deco, just got close. Explained what it was trying to tell her and strongly urged her to read and understand the manual for the dive software. She bought the Apple watch to be the dive computer, but have no clue. She's a recent advanced cert, so I'm sure computers 'should' have been covered.

Actually, the majority of dive computers will lock you out in violation gauge mode if you do not complete the required decompression stops. There's no very good reason one should skip a deco stop and end up in this situation.

I've been using one or more dive computers since 2002, 2300+ dives. Only a Cochran EMC-14 I dived as a backup from 2005-2011 and my current Shearwater Teric, purchased in 2019, have not had a lock out. Even my Dive Rite Nitek Q had a lock out. I have been locked out only once on a backup Oceanic Geo 2 when I forgot to set it for nitrox and was diving 36% on a 75 foot reef in Florida. I had just too much deco time at the end of the dive to clear the computer. I let it sit for a day and then put it back into service.

Actually, the majority of dive computers will lock you out in violation gauge mode if you do not complete the required decompression stops. There's no very good reason one should skip a deco stop and end up in this situation.
That's why I went to Perdix and relegated my Mares Matrix to backup (in gauge mode, since it would probably threw a fit at the dives I am doing now and lock me out anyway).
And I like SurfGF and tissue graph in case I need to skip deco for whatever reason.

The Puck 4 is likely aimed at the usual, recreational diver. The Buhlmann algorithm with GF is a big improvement over Mares RGBM. Of course, it supports 3 gases, as is quite common these days. No reason it could not be an adequate backup to AN/DP unless you intend on skipping your deco stops and cannot stand being locked out for a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom