Mares Puck 4 runs Buhlmann with GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dive which puts my Teric into deco with a GF Hi of 70 might be considered well within the NDL with a GF of 95. Does that mean if I ignore that required deco and surface the computer will be out of its validated range or unreliable? That isn't to say that aren't circumstances under which the model might become non-linear or truly break down, but it seems like more than a "perhaps" is needed before locking the computer up.

A dive which puts my Teric into deco with a GF Hi of 70 might be considered well within the NDL with a GF of 95. Does that mean if I ignore that required deco and surface the computer will be out of its validated range or unreliable? That isn't to say that aren't circumstances under which the model might become non-linear or truly break down, but it seems like more than a "perhaps" is needed before locking the computer up.
So if the the dive computer keeps changing the GF to higher values until reaching 100% before it locks out is ok?

So if the the dive computer keeps changing the GF to higher values until reaching 100% before it locks out is ok?

Could you go back to the G2 thread? :wink:

We are not talking about skipping 30 minutes of deco here. These rec computers will lock you out for 30 seconds of missed deco. You can't really argue that you are in grave danger for skipping 1 minute of deco on compputer that is set to high conservatism.
No one said there is no risk in diving.
If you don't want to accept any risk you should not dive. End of story.
But also the opposite is true: why risking to lock you out of diving for 24h for shortening the deco stop by 30s. ?
Just wait one minute more. Better safe than sorry!

I don’t think anyone is advocating skipping any deco.

I started this thread 3 days ago simply to announce the availability of a new, relatively inexpensive dive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GFs, including custom.

Look where's it's gone.

I started this thread 3 days ago simply to announce the availability of a new, relatively inexpensive dive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GFs, including custom.

Look where's it's gone.

Typical for a computer thread :wink:

We are not talking about skipping 30 minutes of deco here. These rec computers will lock you out for 30 seconds of missed deco. You can't really argue that you are in grave danger for skipping 1 minute of deco on compputer that is set to high conservatism.
No one said there is no risk in diving.
If you don't want to accept any risk you should not dive. End of story.
technically it allows up 3 minute of deco violation by 1 m before locking (described on their manual)
but then again, if you plan to violate the computer reco; why to have it at all? same for "non locking computer"; using the sat graph to second guess if the deco can be skipped or not is not based on any facts or reasonning. If the model tell you one of the compartiment is too high... then it is likley too high...

technically it allows up 3 minute of deco violation by 1 m before locking (described on their manual)
but then again, if you plan to violate the computer reco; why to have it at all? same for "non locking computer"; using the sat graph to second guess if the deco can be skipped or not is not based on any facts or reasonning. If the model tell you one of the compartiment is too high... then it is likley too high...

...We haven't got our hands on a Puck 4 yet, but we did have the opportunity to test a Mares Sirius Computer. You can find the tests here: Deeply Safe Labs . We are very interested in hearing what you think about the "Repetitive" mode, supposed to handle repeated dives such as is done on liveaboards...
In your testing, the Mares Sirius runs like the Shearwater Perdix 2, Garmin MK 2, and Scubapro HUD, unmodified Buhlmann.

The Puck 4 likely runs like the Sirius and Genius models. I believe the custom GF range has a maximum of 90, as you ran it in your testing.

All 3 of these Mares computers have the repetitive dive setting that can be turned off. When on, it subtracts 8 from the GF high and low when surfacing from a repetitive dive. It adds back 1 after every 15 min, back to baseline at 2 hours. The setting did not have much effect in your testing, as you would expect with surface intervals of 90 and 75 min. Other than the theoretical, I know of no experimental support for the repetitive dive setting. You can read about this on page 9 of the Puck 4 owner's manual.

Back
Top Bottom