Mares Puck 4 runs Buhlmann with GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say for the target users the lockout is necessary. Many diver just wear and have no clue what the numbers, flashing amber or red means.
Then why even bother with a computer at all? Dive Op policy?

Serious question as I haven’t done a dive off a charter boat in a long time. Does the dive op check before the next dive that the DC is not locked in gauge mode?

Serious question as I haven’t done a dive off a charter boat in a long time. Does the dive op check before the next dive that the DC is not locked in gauge mode?
I dive off charter boats in Florida fairly frequently. I've never seen dive staff check any computers. However, every year I am asked several times why a computer does not seem to be working correctly. The most common answer is that they are locked out in violation gauge mode for skipping a deco stop. The divers generally do not have the slightest idea what I am saying.

I dive off charter boats in Florida fairly frequently. I've never seen dive staff check any computers.
Thanks. That’s what I expected.
However, every year I am asked several times why a computer does not seem to be working correctly. The most common answer is that they are locked out in violation gauge mode for skipping a deco stop. The divers generally do not have the slightest idea what I am saying.
What happens next? Assuming that’s not the last dive of the day. Do they skip the next dive, or go ahead with it anyway?

Thanks. That’s what I expected.

What happens next? Assuming that’s not the last dive of the day. Do they skip the next dive, or go ahead with it anyway?
This generally does not occur after the first dive of the day, but after the second, with a 45 min surface interval or so. These are generally the 3rd and 4th dive in the afternoon charter. In general, I would say that the divers continue to dive, relying on their buddy's computer for NDL data. I don't remember anyone skipping dives.

These are generally with RGBM computers, Cressi, Mares. and Suunto, but occasionally with PZ+ when their buddy was diving DSAT or Buhlmann.

If the diver does not read or understand what the manual is telling them, I would be very surprised if those diver would be bothered to find out what is "gradient factor, M-values" etc.

If the diver does not read or understand what the manual is telling them, I would be very surprised if those diver would be bothered to find out what is "gradient factor, M-values" etc.
Probably true, but that’s where the presets come in. No need to understand GF or M-values if you can pick between Low, Medium, and High conservatism settings.

More computers running Buhlmann* is a good thing. It makes it much easier to plan dives with a group that is running several different brands.

* That is, of course if they are running Buhlmann unmodified. If they add additional conservatism on top of the GF, then it’s less than ideal. Not saying that this new Mares adds additional conservatism. Just a general comment.

Probably true, but that’s where the presets come in. No need to understand GF or M-values if you can pick between Low, Medium, and High conservatism settings.

More computers running Buhlmann* is a good thing. It makes it much easier to plan dives with a group that is running several different brands.

* That is, of course if they are running Buhlmann unmodified. If they add additional conservatism on top of the GF, then it’s less than ideal. Not saying that this new Mares adds additional conservatism. Just a general comment.
LOL.
Just like sitting in a self-drive car?
Buhlmann or RGBM etc will not change the mentality of some divers.

If the diver can’t be bothered to understand their computer, then that’s on them. I don’t understand that line of argument. Should DC manufacturers not offer presets because some of their customers won’t understand it?

Making a computer that is easy to use, and predictable is good in general. Some divers will still not get it. Again, that’s on them. It’s not the fault of the computer.

I think that the major benefit is that groups of divers using the same algorithms on different computers will closely match each other in terms of BT and NDLs. (Yes, there are obviously other confounding factors).

Back
Top Bottom