Mares Proton XL Noise...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeoDiver

Reaction score
:wflag: Hello Everyone;

I just aquired a new Mares Proton XL did my first with it. It works well and breathing is quite easy with it. However, when inhaling above a certain rate the second stage make a buzzing noise. In itself it is not a problem but when spear fishing it could scare the fish away.
Has anyone had that problem too?

NeoDiver

I've been using mine for a couple of years and haven't experienced any buzzing from my 2nd. I love this reg, the breathing is so easy :)

Neo Diver,

If you are using a "long hose" configuration it is not uncommon for the air flowing through the hose to make an odd sound.

But...if the reg is using the standard Mares hose, then the culprit is likely one of the following: diaphragm incorrectly placed in the case, the demand lever incorrectly adjusted, or the valve spring incorrectly placed.

Take it to your Mares tech and explain the situtation. Sometimes spring harmonics are the culprit. I've seen Apeks and Zeagle regs make some odd sounds. Whenever the spring is reversed it usually takes care of the issue. Atomics are also supposedly guilty of this, but I don't have any first hand experience with this. At times springs need to be replaced to deal with the problem.

Some new divers complain about their reg making a "honking" noise while at the surface. This is very common and results from the resonance within the polymer case. The sound vanishes once the second stage is in the water.

Greg Barlow

Boogie,

You mean that you haven't noticed the sound of gas moving through a long hose? Helium based mixes can be readily heard. The newer Halcyon hoses, which are very flexible really let the sound through. I don't really notice it much anymore, but can hear it if I focus for a moment. Now, granted, it isn't loud or a problem. Heck, I can even hear a first stage functioning at times. Maybe, on those long deco hangs I should be enjoying the scenery.

For the Mares bashing bandwagon, jump to the other thread. ANSTI breathing simulators don't lie and they certainly don't have any brand loyalty. Let me guess, the brand of motor vehicles that you own are the world's best....

Greg

Greg - I don't really care about Mares regs or not. I'm sorry - I was just cracking a joke at you in your ongoing fight in that 'other' thread. I can see how it was construed negatively - not my intention.

Anyway - that's not the point. I can hear air going through a hose, I guess, if I'm real quiet - especially at depth. But the point I thought you made is that a long hose contributes to a buzzing noise in the second stage. My point is - not in my experience.

I've never seen a 2nd stage 'buzz' as a result of having a long hose attached.

Yabbutt Boog, you wouldn't be caught dead diving a Mares!!!

Darn, I leave one thread only to be snared by another!!

I love this place.
:snack:

Boogie,

Thanks. I appreciate the clarification on the issue. I don't try to be confrontational, but was trying to explain how ANSTI testing is completed. You can't have been a science teacher for 19 years and just give up on the teaching...

I wasn't implying that the sound was the cause of the buzzing. I find the sound more of a whoosh type. I can see how one might think that I was making that implication.

Spring harmonics have created more of those weird sounds than what is imaginable. In fact, most of the service manuals discuss the "cures" for each reg. The weird thing is that just reversing the thing can often cure the ill.

Best Wishes,

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom