Mares Power Plana - Hollis F1 - Scuba Pro Jet - Aqualung Rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Them im guessing you'll need XL or XXL. What size F1s do you wear. The Mares seem slightly smaller than F1 equivalent. The Regular Power Plana is fractionally smaller than the Regular F1. I'm not sure about bigger sizes.

I don't have F1's yet. I was planning on getting a set later this year if/when I pick up a dry suit, but the Power Plana could be possible candidate. I would never use or buy Jet's (or Rockets) again. I put too many hours on them in the Military and absolutely hated them.

If I remember correctly, I could fit in XL jets if I was wearing a neo boot or Chuck-T's.

I was asked about comparing the fin blade sizes and foot pocket sizes. I had my wife take some comparison pictures.

Scuba Pro Jet (Size XL)-------Mares Power Plana (Size Reg)-----------Mares Avanti Quattro + (Size Reg)

I wear size 11 Felt soles boots when diving wet. All three fins work fine with these boots.

The Jet fins will not fit with my drysuit boots (Santi Size XXL).

The Mares Power Plana fins do fit with my drysuit. The taller foot pocket seems to work with both wet and dry boots quite well.

Jet XL-Plana Reg-Quattro + Reg.jpgXL Jet-Power Plan Reg- Quattro + Reg.jpgXL Jet-Power Plana Reg-Avanti Quattro + Reg.jpg

Cheers,
Mitch

Thanks Mitch, buying fins without being able to try them on is very difficult given sizes vary so much between brands and even the same models. It's very helpful when people post as much info as possible about what size boots etc they wear with what fins and cross referencing between models is extremely helpful. Cheers.

I was asked about comparing the fin blade sizes and foot pocket sizes...

View attachment 204230

Cheers,
Mitch

Mitch,

I'm an 11 also. Between the Planas and the Quattro +'s, what do you prefer and why?

Thanks again for the comparison pics.

Not directed at me but as I also own the Powers and Quattros I'll chime in. For me they are used in two different environments/applications. The powers are heavy so I like them in a drysuit. The Quattros are neutral so good in a wet suit. The Quattros being softer I find don't frog kick as well. My local site is somewhat confined so prefer the shorter blade on the Powers. If open ocean diving in a wetsuit where currents might be encountered I might choose the Quattros. My current favourite wetsuit fins local diving would be either the DiveRite XTs or my Malayasian Turbos, both stiffer than the Quattros, both shorter and I'm able to frog kick in both with more efficiency.

I agree with Buddha on the frog kick feeling better with the Power Plana vs the Quattro +
The Planas have more "bite" when it comes to frog kicking.

I like them both, the Quattros are better for travel, being a bit lighter.

If I had to choose one, I would go with the Power Planas. Mares really got it right. They are great for flutter kicking and frog kicking (which I mostly do.)

My slight preference for the Power Plana might be a bit biased because I have always used Jets and the Power Plana is close to that jet feel.
They are better than Jets in my opinion.

I hope that's a bit helpful.

Afghanistan I see....I've been there twice. Stay safe if/when you go back Reef Wrecker.

Cheers,
Mitch

Mitch,

I'm an 11 also. Between the Planas and the Quattro +'s, what do you prefer and why?

Thanks again for the comparison pics.

I hope that's a bit helpful.

Afghanistan I see....I've been there twice. Stay safe if/when you go back Reef Wrecker.

Cheers,
Mitch

It does. Thanks Mitch. 1 week left over here, then back to the US.

You're welcome.

I'm in Kuwait for my 4th desert trip.
7 weeks left.

It does. Thanks Mitch. 1 week left over here, then back to the US.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2015 at 07:25 AM ----------

Thanks Mitch, buying fins without being able to try them on is very difficult given sizes vary so much between brands and even the same models. It's very helpful when people post as much info as possible about what size boots etc they wear with what fins and cross referencing between models is extremely helpful. Cheers.

You are welcome.
I know the feeling. It's difficult to decide on fins, especially when there's no shop nearby to just go check them out.
I'm envious of divers that have a great LDS.

Cheers,
Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom