Mares Icon HD Net Ready Firmware Updates discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I have the facts right, there were not a whole lot of people in mares that were tech instructors when they bought Ssi. So the one guy That I met who does have TEC knowledge moved from mares equipment / service to Ssi. The announcement was not official when I heard it. I think he is really going to go back and fourth.

All the ssi tech videos have mares equipment prominently displayed. I would be very surprised if mares did not come out with a more tech oriented computer in the future that used buhlman.

The cobalt has two things against it for tech. First it is a hosed ai computer not an analog gauge and second, it also uses RGBM. I used one before I got the icon. But since it is hosed, and I wanted so redundancy, I went to the icon and an analog gauge.

Industry rumor was that atomic was going to develop a wrist cobalt, but huish bought liquid vision which only makes wrist computers. Then again the rumors about the atomic bcd went on forever and they bought zeagle. I think a lot of people were surprised when the atomic bcd actually came out.
im no software wis so not sure about this but isnt RGBM and buhlman just a matter of software so the icon should be able to become a proper tech computer with trimix, buhlman and so on. im sure Mares/head/ssi know what they are doing and they wouldnt promise the icon would get trimix, and then dont deliver, (also the message they posted at the launch of 4.2, that it wasnt the trimix update but it was in the works.) then its just a question about if it will be buhlman or stick with RGBM. but as i see it they made the quad as a recreational computer and are working on making the icon into a tech style computer, cause whats the point of the quad when they have the icon as they are kinda hitting the same market.

Forgot to add my wishlist. When working with new divers it would be useful to be able to use the icon photo's to reinforce hand signals. For example I could create jpg flashcards and load them on the icon (multiple jpg images), when diving and I signal to a new diver to "Get with Buddy" I could then display the appropriate photo that says "Get with Buddy". Currently the firmware only allows you to select one Map image prior to your dive and this is all you can display.

Does anyone know what Firmware version 4.2.2 brought to the icon (i.e. New Features, bug fixes, etc?)
what Mares wrote them self, the 4.2.2 was "A small update regarding the logbook."

Forgot to add my wishlist. When working with new divers it would be useful to be able to use the icon photo's to reinforce hand signals. For example I could create jpg flashcards and load them on the icon (multiple jpg images), when diving and I signal to a new diver to "Get with Buddy" I could then display the appropriate photo that says "Get with Buddy". Currently the firmware only allows you to select one Map image prior to your dive and this is all you can display.
i just have a wrist slate on and a wetnote in my pocket. also not sure there is enough memory to have cards for every signal needed and such

Still havn't heard anything from mares about the Trimix, or anything acually regarding the Icon. its funny to see all the pushing of XR and rebreather, mares technical and such when they dont really have any technical computer to speak of, why not push the software for icon hd and start branding it alongside all the XR.
im getting a bit concerned that that will make a new computer to full in the spot of mares' technical computer, and then just let the mares hang where it is atm

Just bought NIB Mares HD. Firmware is 4.1. A few questions to your knowledgeable types:
1. Is there an e-mail address or phone number for Mares tech support? Website sucks bad air.
2. How does one update the firmware?
3. How does one set the personal "name" field?
4. Ditto for the other personal info (blood type, etc.) mentioned in the poor "instruction manual"?
5. Does this work with Android devices?
6. What is the format and method for uploading pictures?
7. What is difference between HD and "Net Ready"?

Just bought NIB Mares HD. Firmware is 4.1. A few questions to your knowledgeable types:
1. Is there an e-mail address or phone number for Mares tech support? Website sucks bad air.
2. How does one update the firmware?
3. How does one set the personal "name" field?
4. Ditto for the other personal info (blood type, etc.) mentioned in the poor "instruction manual"?
5. Does this work with Android devices?
6. What is the format and method for uploading pictures?
7. What is difference between HD and "Net Ready"?

uh that was alot of questions.

- no number or mail as mares like privacy it seems.

- yes and no to the android question, they do have an app where you can log your dives to the mobile but need a cable for it, i havnt played with it.

- Icon HD is the non air integrated version and the Icon HD NET Ready is the air integrated version

- first up is you need to download the software for your pc to import logs and such and most of the other stuff you ask about
pc / http://shop.mares.com/en/downloads/software/pc-version.html
mac / http://shop.mares.com/en/downloads/software/mac-version.html
i use pc version, not sure they are 100% the same as i have no experience with mac version
when installed the program can

- 1 log your dives under COMPUTER tab and then DOWNLOAD LOGBOOK

- 2 under COMPUTER tab again you have INFO/ICE there is the info and 2 other tabs to write info like name and blood type.

- 3 under COMPUTER tab again you have FIRMWARE UPDATE there you update it with files you download from here:
http://shop.mares.com/en/downloads/software/firmware.html (MAKE SURE YOU PICK THE RIGHT ONE)

- 4 you have under COMPUTER tab again UPLOAD MAPS/IMAGES those you get here Maps or make your owne

Hope it will help a bit if you need more please ask

Thanks Loeth for the quick reply! I had already installed the PC version of Dive Organizer, and filled in any many info items as I could. Since I have not yet used the HD, there are no dives to download. I also downloaded the "IconHD... .enc" firmware upgrade file, and thought the "Dive Organizer" would be the program used to read that file into the HD. It was sure difficult to use with no help/documentation.
From "Dive Organizer":
1. Using the Upper menu "database" -> "computer" I can't enter my HD's serial number or Firmware version. Not that it matters?
2. Using the upper menu "Computer" - the only drop-down option allowed is "import data from file" and it is looking for a BIN, FLASH or ZIP file - what are these used for? All others, including "Firmware Update", are grayed out.
3. Under the lower tab list menus, starting with "dive list", the "computer" tab shows "photo", "s/n", "Firmware version", etc. This looks like a gear list which is kept in case of theft, or ???
4. Plugging the HD via USB into my PC gets a beep-beep, ans shows a charge. Are there drivers to be installed? Was there supposed to be a CD included?

I discovered the lower "computer" tab only works if your dive computer is connected. The "Intro/ICE" button apparently uploads your name into the "Your name here" location. The "Firmware Update" worked too. Other questions remain.

Back
Top Bottom