Mares hose protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. Been diving a while but new to this board!
I'm trying to buy some Mares hose protectors (first stage end) to fit my old MR22 Abyss (old model now upgraded with Miflex hoses) and MR52 Carbon but I cannot find anywhere that sells them and cant bring up the contact details on the Mares site. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I'm UK based.
Thanks.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? .

The right direction is to not bother with hose protectors. Seriously.

A.) They aren't necessary, especially with Miflex hoses
B.) They can hide potential issues that you'd see without them

I have roughly 1,000 dives with the same set of Miflex hoses - sans protectors. I'd guess half of these dives were wreck penetration dives. I've dragged these regs all over the planet, thrown them in the back of a pickup truck in Bonaire about 100 times, on and off boats hundreds of times, stuffed them in gear bags, Rubbermaid bins, and milk crates. Zero issues and the hoses still look like new nearly a decade later.

Last edited:
what Ray said. Just don't bother, especially with the miflex they aren't doing anything except keeping salt water against the hose ends.

I'm trying to buy some Mares hose protectors (first stage end) to fit my old MR22 Abyss (old model now upgraded with Miflex hoses) and MR52 Carbon but I cannot find anywhere that sells them

You're lucky. Spend the money on something useful, like a lottery ticket.

The main problem with the hose protectors is that to work properly they must grip the hose and end fitting securely across the crimp. Then when pulling them back to access the hose fitting for whatever reason (MTX, reg service, swap out...) you are putting a lot of stress against the weakest point, which is in-line pull stress on the hose bib and crimp. The other issue is the fitting is hidden by the ‘protector’ from inspection so that you may not notice an impending failure. DGX has a nice discussion on their website, on the hose page.

Ok, you've convinced me! I've only just started using Miflex so it's good to hear they are going to last.
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom