HP hose burst (failure)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1659830201590.png

It looks like the transmitter may fit as the HP and LP ports are angled away from each other.

Hoses just go bad at times. Unseen defect in manufacture, etc. This is why we check them. If the company offers you a replacement take it and install it. There is a lot of pressure in those lines, and sometimes they just fail.

At least it did not happen at depth, and be doubly glad it wasn't one of your low-pressure lines, at depth.

Have you been bending the hose back 180 degrees?
This one was never bent, always sits as you see in the picture (though hidden behind the wing)

Get rid of then hose entirely. It’s not doing anything for you in that application.
As @grantctobin said, it doesn't fit without the extension or I'll have to put the long-hose on a different port which would force it in the wrong direction. I just checked, even if I twist the 1st stage in a way to allow for that kind of configuration, the Swift will stick out to the side. No bueno when I'm squeezing through a wreck it'll snag or hit something and break.

What pressure do you normally get the tanks filled to as well?

From the looks of that packaging you should be able to comfortable just run the transmitter directly into the 1st stage and it will be tucked out of the way and protected. No hose needed.

Typical tank pressure is usually in the 3500-3800 range. For this particular dive I had ~3700psi.

Although extremely rare for an HP hose to fail..... this possibility is the reason why I choose to dive with a fully redundant pony bottle system. That, and I dive solo a lot.

Here's a 15 second video clip that I took of a woman on our boat at LCBR in 2018. (not my buddy). We were on our initial descent and I noticed all the pin bubbles on her HP hose. I ended up approaching her, showing her the leak, then signaling that she was OK but that we needed to buddy up and ascend the 15 feet back to the boat and got her back to the ladder before continuing my dive.

Not a huge deal.....but who knows if it could have been. She was very nice and sported me a couple of jumbo frozen margaritas at Beach Nuts that evening.. !!!

Nice capture, very instructive! Ironically yesterday was my first solo dive. Thankfully the hose failed on the surface.

--------------

From the responses so far, this seems like it's a fluke. DGX mentioned potentially going to a SS braided hose instead. I'll go that route or Miflex HD Carbon, which has an even higher working and burst pressure.

Thank you all for your responses! Sorry for the dumb question :)

Is there a country of origin/manufacture printed anywhere on the hose?
Just curious.
After diving, I rinse and check purge valve pressurized with a 13cf pony bottle in Rubbermaid bin.

I check for leaks and fix by replacing if necessary.

Come to think, maybe I could do this onsite just before diving.

A complete separation of hose crimp at first stage high pressure hose happened on a dive boat I was on. Not my equipment, but another's. Unfortunately the person had the hose whip an arc and hit on top of their head. The dive boat operater put stitches in the scalp on board. The trip was not interrupted. Not sure if it was a multi day trip as was long ago. Not sure either if the diver made anymore dives after the first aid given don't remember that either.

Is it possible, inadvertantly, that you are another diver used the HP hose as a handle? With it dangling there it looks awfully handy to grab a hold of to assist you back aboard or to prevent a tank set from falling over.

James

Is it possible, inadvertantly, that you are another diver used the HP hose as a handle? With it dangling there it looks awfully handy to grab a hold of to assist you back aboard or to prevent a tank set from falling over.

James
This is the reason I run a short hose on my transmitter vs screwing it right into the 1st stage. I watched someone grab my gear by the transmitter once, thankfully I was right there to stop them, ever since then I've always ran a short (miflex) hose on any transmitter, so hopefully nobody mistakes it for a knob.

Anything and everything can fail at anytime for no apparent reason; no manufacturing process is ever going to be perfect. You just happened to get the 1 out of ______ with a flaw.

We should all be prepared for anything we are using to fail at the worst possible time; keep that in mind and carry on.

Happens all the time. I have seen three in the last week. HP hoses are common failure points. If the transmitter will fit, I would recommend removing the hose and eliminating that failure point.

In my experience the short hoses like this used on a transmitter or pressure gauge tend to have a relatively short working life. Maybe a few hundred dives, which for me is two or three years. They get bumped, bent, and twisted in ways that cause more tension than a longer hose would experience. Sound like you are using your tanks at higher than standard pressure, which can't help. It's a good idea to keep a spare on hand in case you have one fail on in the middle of a dive excursion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom