HP hose burst (failure)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although extremely rare for an HP hose to fail..... this possibility is the reason why I choose to dive with a fully redundant pony bottle system. That, and I dive solo a lot.
It was manifolded doubles…

It was manifolded doubles…
I don't dive manifolded doubles. Please help me understand why that makes a difference.on the issue of a primary HP hose failure.. Thanks.

Manifolded doubles, you turn off the post the gauge is on. Stops the leak. The other post is still on and that regulator still functions just fine. Allows you access to nearly all the gas (except what you lost before getting that post shut off). You end the dive, but if you have limitations on ending the dive (hard or soft overhead limitations) you are not limited to only what is in the pony.

I don't dive manifolded doubles. Please help me understand why that makes a difference.on the issue of a primary HP hose failure.. Thanks.

In this scenario, I have two HP100 cylinders connected via the manifold. One post has a Swift transmitter, the other has a mechanical SPG. In case of a "boom" the first thing we do is shut off the manifold (connection between the two cylinders). That ensures no matter what we isolate one side and preserve that gas.

Here's a Boom Drill video, it's one of the basic doubles skills, learned in Intro to Tech:

The version of the drill I practice is slightly different and more efficient than this video. It's a bit closer to UTD/GUE style, but that's the first video I found, just to make the point. Hope it helps.

For an OW diver with a single tank, such a diver should not normally be engaged in a deco or overhead environment, this including the pony bottle equipped diver. Therefore an HP hose failure is a nuisance and not an immediate concern, sure, end the dive when it safely can be concluded. The tiny pinhole that is in most new first stage bodies and as well in the HP hose inlet restrict greatly the flow of air/gas that can be lost.

But the OP is diving manifolded twins with an isolation capable manifold providing full redundancy as would typically be required for overhead and deco. Still, an HP hose failure is not on par with an LP hose failure even though more likely.

James

I have had 2 HP hoses fail here recently. One was an older one (from 2018) and the other was brand new. Hoses can fail at any time and for any reason. Most likely just a bad one out of a batch if it is a relatively new hose.

I have had 2 HP hoses fail here recently. One was an older one (from 2018) and the other was brand new. Hoses can fail at any time and for any reason. Most likely just a bad one out of a batch if it is a relatively new hose.

Just had one go myself a few weeks ago, a fairly new DGX Stainless hose, last only a couple of dozen dives on my deco bottle. Of course it was bent in the classic stage bottle configuration.

Thematically I agree, and believe having both SPG and transmitter truly silly. That said, I’m not certain that you can fit a transmitter on a Tek3 and still use each of the LP hoses. This is due to the diameter of the transmitter.
That was my thoughts. I had to put my ccr oxygen transmitter on a short hose because I need an opv on the apeks reg and it was impossible to fit both the opv and transmitter on the bottom side of the reg where they wouldn't get banged if I contacted the cave ceiling.

I bought 2 SS hp hoses from Piranha last season, put them on my sidemount tanks, and both failed within 5 dives... not even bent, clearly a bad batch. I keep a spare in my save-a-dive kit now. Yours looks like a fluke, but it is also the hose most likely to fail, in my experience.

Manifolded doubles, you turn off the post the gauge is on. Stops the leak. The other post is still on and that regulator still functions just fine. Allows you access to nearly all the gas (except what you lost before getting that post shut off). You end the dive, but if you have limitations on ending the dive (hard or soft overhead limitations) you are not limited to only what is in the pony.

In this scenario, I have two HP100 cylinders connected via the manifold. One post has a Swift transmitter, the other has a mechanical SPG. In case of a "boom" the first thing we do is shut off the manifold (connection between the two cylinders). That ensures no matter what we isolate one side and preserve that gas.

Here's a Boom Drill video, it's one of the basic doubles skills, learned in Intro to Tech:

The version of the drill I practice is slightly different and more efficient than this video. It's a bit closer to UTD/GUE style, but that's the first video I found, just to make the point. Hope it helps.
Hey.....thanks very much for the explanations. Makes total sense now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom