Mares Gear: What do people think of it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just about all of my gear is Mares. Their gear is high end, well made equipment. The Abyss regulator is a high end reg. I have had one for about 6 years, with no problems.

Would it be worth paying the extra dollars for the Mares Proton 42 Metal over the Abyss series? And what is the difference between the Abyss 42 and 22? Is it just the first stage, or diff 2nd stage also?

Thanks for all the info ppl!

Completely different, Proton is much smaller and lighter, performance specs are better (on paper) but I did not "feel" much difference. I hear great things about the new tri-material first stage valve, I'm told that they're better, even than the Ruby. There is an Abyss 42 that uses the same first stage as the Proton, the 22 is the older first stage.

Completely different, Proton is much smaller and lighter, performance specs are better (on paper) but I did not "feel" much difference. I hear great things about the new tri-material first stage valve, I'm told that they're better, even than the Ruby. There is an Abyss 42 that uses the same first stage as the Proton, the 22 is the older first stage.

But is the abyss 22 diff to the abyss 42?

But is the abyss 22 diff to the abyss 42?
Yes the Abyss 42 has the MR-42 first stage, the Abyss 22 has the older MR-22 first stage.

I have a Mares 6.5 semi-dry suit and love it. It makes cold water diving very enjoyable. I cannot comment on the rest of their gear as I have never tried it.

Hi all just a quick question.

I am heading over to Thailand to do all the way from Advanced OW Diver to instructor in March next year. Currently I live in Melbourne.

I was going to get ScubaPro gear but have been informed that the gear I can get through the school I am going to train with mainly do Mares, and I can do a Mares equipment maintenance course. For this reason, I want to know what people think of Mares; BC's, Regs, computers, all of it.

Also should I buy before I head off online, or wait til I get to Thailand and put my bartering skills to work?

Thanks in advance

I got certed in Thailand (Phuket) and also live in Melbourne.

Gear over there is as expensive (if not more) than in Australia. Buy everything online. You'll pay half the price.

Scubatoys and Leisurepro are great stores. So far I'vd had flawless dealings with both. I have paid at least 50% less than I would have in Melbourne.

As for you doing AOW to Instructor with (at most) 24 dives under your belt... thats a whole different conversation.

I started with an MR12/Rebel Reg and odds n ends of 'hand me down' gear. Now my first (and second!) sets of gear are new divers hand me downs and I have an almost complete Mares set up.
My first computer (and I got it for Dive#1) was an M1. I am still attached to it still, but am thinking of switching to a Nemo Excel for next season...
I usually dive dry (hence my name) but for 'down south' people laugh when you show up in 7mm compressed neoprene so I put all my faith in a Trilastic 8-6-5. It was fantastic last month in Barbados, but the real test is next week in Roatan. I FROZE there last year in 5mm...
I now have a V32/Metal reg. It is amazing. Small, easy for travel and easy to breathe. And metal 2nd stage is much more practical for my early spring/late fall/polar bear adventures!
I got an Aliikai BC in Oct, and don't know why I didn't get one sooner. The only thing I have done to make it more comfortable is add two removable weight pockets to the tank band. this takes 8 lbs out of my pockets and puts it on my back. Now, I dont know how it will feel with steel tanks until the spring, as all my winter diving is with AL80 rentals in salt water. I also am not crazy about the bottom dump valve; the pull has a plastic 'fob' handle on it that is positively buoyant and it floats up and into the back of the bladder, rahter than hanging down and easily accessible. Not a huge deal once you learn where it 'lives' during a dive, but somewhat alarming on a checkout dive when you are used to reaching for a dump and you keep grabbing your own butt.
I will have new Quattro fins as soon as my PADI Members special from Mares comes in, so I cant comment on them, but LDS says they're great.
I got a Liquidskin mask before Barbados as my 4th mask...Yes, 4th. I have a very small head and have had huge problems trying to find a mask that fits without leaking, ad having adequate field of vision. The Liquidskin is great, but the mask lens angle itself, I'm not a HUGE fan of. I spend a lot of time looking for macro photo ops and discovered that the angle of the lens is very different than my Tusa's. When I look 'down' any water that is 'hiding' in the very bottom of the mask moves into my field of vision, so I end up looking through water. Its not enough to clear, just enough to irritate me.
And the grand finale, last night I got the new Cruise Backpack bag for 'christmas'..Hwoo-hoo! gotta get packing!
In another Mares post, someone suggested being a Mares Billboard and taking pics a la "where in the world...?" I am up for that for sure, and I LOVE Mares gear!

Why? OP, what do you dive now? Im not a huge fan of fancy colours, but black/black/black/orange as colour combinations are a little boring. Mares has different 'style' to it, oh, sorry, its the only one with ANY 'style' (MY OPINION) rather than just being functional. And Black. But I am only one diver with less than 100 dives (til friday!) and am but a peon in the grand scheme of things.
If I HAD to wear Sherwood or Cressi gear, I would, and I'd love it cause I'd be diving.

Hi all just a quick question.

I am heading over to Thailand to do all the way from Advanced OW Diver to instructor in March next year. Currently I live in Melbourne.

I was going to get ScubaPro gear but have been informed that the gear I can get through the school I am going to train with mainly do Mares, and I can do a Mares equipment maintenance course. For this reason, I want to know what people think of Mares; BC's, Regs, computers, all of it.

Also should I buy before I head off online, or wait til I get to Thailand and put my bartering skills to work?

Thanks in advance

Tiptopperoo,

I own a BC (Aerial), 2 Regs (m12 & v16), 2 octos and 2 fins (volo - love these), 1 dive computer (m2), 2 suits (evolution 5 mm w/ hood and an isotherm), an airlock and have had great success with all. Have done 250 with this gear.

My only complaint is that parts are often slow coming back from the manufacturer.

Good value for $ IMHO.

Vanessar
Good diving in Thailand look forward to diving there one day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom