Mares Gear: What do people think of it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mt son dives with a ruby abyss, works great, never a problem.

DSCN0920.JPG

You need to show him how to spit in his mask to de-fog it. :)

You need to show him how to spit in his mask to de-fog it. :)
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Tiptop, this is my take on it... The Abyss MR22 is considered the workhorse, "bullet proof" reg in the Mares lineup. It's been used for a long time by technical divers and is greatly appreciated by many of them (some setting world records). It's heavier than the Proton series. I believe this would be a good choice if weight is not a problem for you and you want reliability... If you're looking for the Ferrari reg in the Mares line-up, it's the proton V42... Lighter and the easiest breathing (on paper as Thalassa said...), it's the the top Mares reg and will be great for teaching in warm water. I would only go with the Abyss if you want something bulletproof... And if that's the choice, I'd go for the MR22 1st stage rather than the V42. The MR22 ABYSS has made a name for itself in reliability, so why pay more for lighter if you are looking for bulletproof? Getting a Abyss 2nd stage (which is heavy) with a light V42 1st stage just doesn't make sense for me.

Lighter/ easier breathing = Proton V42
Solid, dependable (and heavier if that doesn't matter) = Abyss MR22

Just my oppinion...:coffee:

Would it be worth paying the extra dollars for the Mares Proton 42 Metal over the Abyss series? And what is the difference between the Abyss 42 and 22? Is it just the first stage, or diff 2nd stage also?

Thanks for all the info ppl!

Thanks for the infor CODMAN! I have decided to go with the Abyss MR22 for the bulletproof factor. The less issues the better and when I'm diving it almost everyday, the last thing I want to worry about is a failing reg.

Another thing, can these regs be used with nitrox? Can't seem to find much info?

Cheers
Dave

Tip top, good choice! I'm sure you'll be very happy with an Abyss. It gets rave reviews by most users. I only wish I had a reasonable excuse to upgrade my V16 Proton!!!:shakehead: but I don't... It works flawlessly and breathes great...:popcorn: Oh well...:D

Yes, your gear is good to go up to 40% Nitrox, at least in North America. Actually, it would be Ok everywhere, but some countries have legislation stating different requirements as far as Oxygen cleaning goes and might require you have the whole setup cleaned before being allowed to use any Nitrox. You should check into this about Thailand. In the worst case scenario, you'll need to have the setup cleaned.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the infor CODMAN! I have decided to go with the Abyss MR22 for the bulletproof factor. The less issues the better and when I'm diving it almost everyday, the last thing I want to worry about is a failing reg.

Another thing, can these regs be used with nitrox? Can't seem to find much info?

Cheers
Dave

Tiptopperoo, get the best Mares that you can afford. I started OW with a Rebel 12, doing the DM buddy breathing with my Instructor I noticed his Proton metal V42 was really easy to breath with. I switched to the proton v42 and love it. If you are going to do 100 dives in a couple of months, then get top equipment. I also use the Mares liquidskin black mask.- very comfortable.

Rod

Back
Top Bottom