Mares Gear: What do people think of it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiptopperoo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all just a quick question.

I am heading over to Thailand to do all the way from Advanced OW Diver to instructor in March next year. Currently I live in Melbourne.

I was going to get ScubaPro gear but have been informed that the gear I can get through the school I am going to train with mainly do Mares, and I can do a Mares equipment maintenance course. For this reason, I want to know what people think of Mares; BC's, Regs, computers, all of it.

Also should I buy before I head off online, or wait til I get to Thailand and put my bartering skills to work?

Thanks in advance

Hi all just a quick question.

I am heading over to Thailand to do all the way from Advanced OW Diver to instructor in March next year. Currently I live in Melbourne.

I was going to get ScubaPro gear but have been informed that the gear I can get through the school I am going to train with mainly do Mares, and I can do a Mares equipment maintenance course. For this reason, I want to know what people think of Mares; BC's, Regs, computers, all of it.
I started out with a Mares BCD and regs before I went over to the dark side. The equipment worked flawlessly, at least IMO.

Also should I buy before I head off online, or wait til I get to Thailand and put my bartering skills to work?

Thanks in advance
Better ask this in the ScubaBoard - Thailand forum.

They just need one non euro-billy designer.

Hi Tip. mares is my equipment of choice for many reasons. The gear isrelatively simple, well made, looks and works great. They have a wide array of equipment to cover most aspects of recreational diving. The prices are reasonable and they give great customer service (at least Mares USA does). And in my case, there is a competent Mares dealer near me where I can get my gear serviced easily.

I've got an almost all Mares setup and am very very happy with all of it!

This doesn't mean there isn't other good gear out there. But so far, I've never been disapointed with the Mares gear I have.

If the dive center you'll be doing your courses with sells Mares. Can't they set you up for a good price? Why don't you ask them and see if it's worth waiting to get there to buy :coffee:...

Good luck!

Yeah they said I will get 20% off gear with them. Wanna spec out a kit of stuff first so I can compare prices, but I'm sure they will look after me. Would it be an international warranty on Mares gear?

I hate to be the naysayer here --but it appears not only has Mares quality dropped but they don't seem to care much about it.

I have one Mares regulator and it developed an air leak from a small bushing that pushes against a small rubber pad. The bushing is in the connection between the air hose and the second stage.

It was very apparent because this is the second stage on my rebreather. So, after working on it myself I took it to the top-notch repair techs at my LDS. Even before I fnished my explanation of the problem, he said, "it's a Mares, right?"

Apparently mine was the 3rd or 4th Mares reg they'd seen with this problem. That is significant because Mares regulators are not all that common here. They had to order dozens of these little bushings to repair them because all the bushings were flawed (this is a tiny piece of plastic, costing pennies --or course, it would cost a bit more to re-tool to fix the problem).

The technician told me he and the shop owner had personally called Mares more than once about this problem. According to them, Mares representatives weren't even interested in talking about it --so this company knows of a problem that could theoretically lead to a second stage failure but does nothing to fix it.

My Mares was relatively new with fewer than 25 hours of diving time on it.

I also know that at least one other corporate buyer of Mares regs had mentioned the problem to them, and to date I have heard nothing about a fix.

The real issue here is, if you are diving open circuit, there is a good chance you would not notice this because the problem is masked by your exhalation bubbles. I only noticed it because it's on my rebreather --hence no bubbles.

To fix mine, we had to take one of these little green bushings and literally shave off the excess plastic --sort of a ridge from poor tooling of the dye.

I'm sure others have had great luck with Mares. I'm not so worried about a little engineering flaw --that can happen to any company. I am very concerned when a company simply does not care.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi JT, I'm not doubting your experience with this, or that of your dive shop, but may I ask if you ever talked directly with Mares about this? It's been my experience in different areas of the sports industry that there is sometimes a difference between what a shop says they were told and what the manufacturer actually told them. Like I said, this might not be the case with you, but I've seen it before (actually had it happen to me by my local Mares dealer too; told me an item was backorder when I know full well Mares had them stock). This said, if you're not getting through via your LDS, why don't you talk to Mares directly about it?

The Mares reps are regularly in the Mares section of this forum. Nothing beats taking up issues yourself!! Especially when you can easily contact them about it (the forum).

Mares have been great with me, and many others, when I had any warranty concerns.

I agree with you that when there is a problem, a company should back up their product. So far for me, Mares has been great.

Cheers!:coffee:

I hate to be the naysayer here --but it appears not only has Mares quality dropped but they don't seem to care much about it.

I have one Mares regulator and it developed an air leak from a small bushing that pushes against a small rubber pad. The bushing is in the connection between the air hose and the second stage.

It was very apparent because this is the second stage on my rebreather. So, after working on it myself I took it to the top-notch repair techs at my LDS. Even before I fnished my explanation of the problem, he said, "it's a Mares, right?"

Apparently mine was the 3rd or 4th Mares reg they'd seen with this problem. That is significant because Mares regulators are not all that common here. They had to order dozens of these little bushings to repair them because all the bushings were flawed (this is a tiny piece of plastic, costing pennies --or course, it would cost a bit more to re-tool to fix the problem).

The technician told me he and the shop owner had personally called Mares more than once about this problem. According to them, Mares representatives weren't even interested in talking about it --so this company knows of a problem that could theoretically lead to a second stage failure but does nothing to fix it.

My Mares was relatively new with fewer than 25 hours of diving time on it.

I also know that at least one other corporate buyer of Mares regs had mentioned the problem to them, and to date I have heard nothing about a fix.

The real issue here is, if you are diving open circuit, there is a good chance you would not notice this because the problem is masked by your exhalation bubbles. I only noticed it because it's on my rebreather --hence no bubbles.

To fix mine, we had to take one of these little green bushings and literally shave off the excess plastic --sort of a ridge from poor tooling of the dye.

I'm sure others have had great luck with Mares. I'm not so worried about a little engineering flaw --that can happen to any company. I am very concerned when a company simply does not care.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi JT, I'm not doubting your experience with this, or that of your dive shop, but may I ask if you ever talked directly with Mares about this? It's been my experience in different areas of the sports industry that there is sometimes a difference between what a shop says they were told and what the manufacturer actually told them. Like I said, this might not be the case with you, but I've seen it before (actually had it happen to me by my local Mares dealer too; told me an item was backorder when I know full well Mares had them stock). This said, if you're not getting through via your LDS, why don't you talk to Mares directly about it?

The Mares reps are regularly in the Mares section of this forum. Nothing beats taking up issues yourself!! Especially when you can easily contact them about it (the forum).

Mares have been great with me, and many others, when I had any warranty concerns.

I agree with you that when there is a problem, a company should back up their product. So far for me, Mares has been great.

Cheers!:coffee:

I know the technician spoke with Mares directly --he is someone with a sterling reputation in the international dive community and if he said he spoke with them he did. I also know of someone else who spoke directly with Mares and got the same result.

The reason it sticks out in my mind was both folks told me very similar stories about Mares' reaction. Both are really unimpeachable sources as far as I am concerned. Honestly, this seems like a pretty simple solution --retool the dye, spend a few bucks and solve the problem.

I have personally not spoken with Mares about this. It is really more of retailer/shop discussion, I think.

I hate to criticize any company in a public forum --at least I try not to. But the OP is going to be buying a reg and, as I understand it, taking it to a place that service might be more difficult so I though he'd want to know about this.

Again, it's not really the question about the problem, it's that at least two merchants who sell Mares regs had the same experience that is disturbing to me.

Jeff

Hey, giving your personal experience about a brand or product is what this is all about! Helping other people with your experience! That's what I try to do too!:coffee:

It's the first time I read about that specific problem (here or on other forums) and both mine, and my girlfiends regs work flawlessly (no bubbles there). But it's not because I've never read about it that it ain't real!!!!:D:D

Let get something straight here JT... You are using a Mares 2nd stage on a Rebreather??? How exactly is that set up? Mares doesn't make rebreathers, so is that a "home made" modification to the 2nd? Just curious...

And oops, I'm hi-jacking the original posters subject (sorry!!!!!:coffee:).

Let get something straight here JT... You are using a Mares 2nd stage on a Rebreather??? How exactly is that set up? Mares doesn't make rebreathers, so is that a "home made" modification to the 2nd? Just curious...

And oops, I'm hi-jacking the original posters subject (sorry!!!!!:coffee:).

Kiss rebreathers come with a built-in bail out valve. It allows the diver to switch from closed circuit to open circuit without having to actually remove the unit from your mouth. Just the flip of a switch --it's an important safety device. The Mares second stage is attached to the BOV because you need a regulator second stage to switch from closed to open circuit.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom