Mares, Dacor parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life time warranties == life of the company != life of the product

A couple of years ago I bought a paper shreader, it died. The company though still making the shreader did not stock any parts for it. Too expensive for them, they said just by another. Get used to it people as this is the way many companies are operating. Sad but true.

Thats what made JC Whitney ,Thats the ticket.
maybe some plumbing co will start producing old regulator parts,
like some companys make vintage car parts.
That way we can quit being a throw away society.
and preserve some of these old regulators

Electronics have been this way for YEARS. It's cheaper to replace than have a shop (if you can find one) repair it. DVD player from Walmart - $29.99. You think anyone would work on it for less than $29.99? I doubt it. Throw-away products, throw-away marriages, etc... welcome to the 21st century.

Do you know you can still get plumbing parts for 50 year old sinks and tubs.
Gaskets and o rings just like the insides of a regulator.

Hey scuba pr 50,
I found a company who had the parts to overhaul my Dacor 950 First and Second stages.
Looks like i will get to use it for a while.
How long should the over haul last me?
I am going to try to dive 10- 15 times a year,mostly in fresh water,what do you think?

squidster:
Hey scuba pr 50,
I found a company who had the parts to overhaul my Dacor 950 First and Second stages.
Looks like i will get to use it for a while.
How long should the over haul last me?
I am going to try to dive 10- 15 times a year,mostly in fresh water,what do you think?
A a good overhaul will last for several years if you keep up with good maintence. I still own 3 Dacor regulators that my local dive shop (Texas Divers Den) will service using generic parts. The old Dacors aren't used much but they all work and I keep them serviced. I still own a model 750 (a Scubapro MK5 clone), a 360 (conshelf clone) and a R-4 double hose which I used just a few weeks ago at Blue Lagoon on a "vintage" dive. I also own 2 Mare Abyss (which we got on the Mares/Dacor trade in deal), a Scubapro MK10, two Voit MR 12s, a Voit Titan II J , a Voit Little Gem and my favorite a U.S. Diver Aquamaster doublehose. I don't think I own too many regulators .... but my wife does. I have a good friend (Bill) that has over 30 different regulators in his collection.

OkieDiver:
Electronics have been this way for YEARS. It's cheaper to replace than have a shop (if you can find one) repair it. DVD player from Walmart - $29.99. You think anyone would work on it for less than $29.99? I doubt it. Throw-away products, throw-away marriages, etc... welcome to the 21st century.
MANY NEW REGULATORS cost between $300 and $1000 ...... I hate to think of them as "throw-aways" after a few years ....... Leasurepro did have a "regulator special" for $99 a few years ago that we recomended buying it and "using the sh_t out of it" for a year then throwing it away and buying another.

Hey Vintage SCUBA Restorers out there. All I really need is a NOS MR12 II or even a Mares Abyss second stage diaphragm I would like to get two. I can find 1st stage diaphragms all over the internet. No, I don’t work for or am a certified repair tech by Mares so they, for obvious reasons, won’t sell me a few ( singles, 6-packs, a dozen in a pack…whatever ) to finish a restoration on a vintage octopus on my Waterlung Dual-Air double hose regulator. BTW. This is a Stellar performing regulator but i DO believe in offering spare air on dives especially when I really don’t know who i am diving with. A very Safe courtesy, especially since I like diving my ‘doubles’.

…on my way to becoming certified repair tech after I retire from NC DOT as an engineering inspector plus 20 successful restorations of double hose SCUBA regs, some older than me, to where they are safely diveable. A seasoned repair tech recommended me do this after seeing and ‘breathing’ my work. …Sorry, not for contract repairs as there really is no sanctioned double hose repair program out there. I can answer questions from interested parties though.

giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. Harrellsville, NC, U S A

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0741.jpeg
    IMG_0741.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
A a good overhaul will last for several years if you keep up with good maintence. I still own 3 Dacor regulators that my local dive shop (Texas Divers Den) will service using generic parts. The old Dacors aren't used much but they all work and I keep them serviced. I still own a model 750 (a Scubapro MK5 clone), a 360 (conshelf clone) and a R-4 double hose which I used just a few weeks ago at Blue Lagoon on a "vintage" dive. I also own 2 Mare Abyss (which we got on the Mares/Dacor trade in deal), a Scubapro MK10, two Voit MR 12s, a Voit Titan II J , a Voit Little Gem and my favorite a U.S. Diver Aquamaster doublehose. I don't think I own too many regulators .... but my wife does. I have a good friend (Bill) that has over 30 different regulators in his collection.
Hey, there Squidster, your dive shop connection may have what I am seeking!! I need to purchase 2, Mares ‘Abyss’ second stage diaphragms. ( …these fit many other models as Abyss is pretty much a ‘tricked-out’ AMF Voit MR12 or MR12 II regulator. …) if they won’t sell parts, do you believe they could install the 2nd stage diaphragms for me?? I have successfully overhauled this regulator installing new seats and cleaning it inside and out. Just need to install diaphragm and adjust airflow at the IR nut. Just asking? please leave a reply on my profile page as I am headed for FL this coming Tue. I will most likely have to attach a Mares MR12 III second stage to make my desired dives in Florida. Yes, more modern, less durable, but it will do in a pinch.😃🤿🏝️
giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. Harrellsville, NC

Hey, there Squidster, your dive shop connection may have what I am seeking!! I need to purchase 2, Mares ‘Abyss’ second stage diaphragms. ( …these fit many other models as Abyss is pretty much a ‘tricked-out’ AMF Voit MR12 or MR12 II regulator. …) if they won’t sell parts, do you believe they could install the 2nd stage diaphragms for me?? I have successfully overhauled this regulator installing new seats and cleaning it inside and out. Just need to install diaphragm and adjust airflow at the IR nut. Just asking? please leave a reply on my profile page as I am headed for FL this coming Tue. I will most likely have to attach a Mares MR12 III second stage to make my desired dives in Florida. Yes, more modern, less durable, but it will do in a pinch.😃🤿🏝️
giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. Harrellsville, NC
Scott,
You replied to a 17 y.o. thread... So his connections may not still be there (and he hasn't been on the forum in 14 years). For vintage gear, you might visit over at Home | Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum
It's pretty active. I'll do some looking, but there's probably an after market diaphragm that will fit.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom