Mares, Dacor parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It used To Be You Would Go Out And Buy These heavy Duty Dacor Regulators With There Pretty Crome Covered Brass Bodys That Would last For ever .
Then each Year You Would Get Your Shining Dacor Reg. Serviced.
And It Was A wonderful Regulator.
But Then Some Company Swooped Down And Grabbed Dacor ,No More Could You Get These Vintage Regs Serviced.
Now These Eternal Built Regs Can Only Be Used For Ornaments In Sea Food Resturants.
Its Ashamed That As Well Built As Dacor And Some Other Vintage Regs are They Have To Bow To The Mercy Of O rings, springs , And Other Weak Parts That The Take Over Companys Will Not Make Anymore.
well it most likely increased sales for the buy out company ,For a while.
But this dacor man switched Scuba pro , They still service There vintage Rgulators.
Shame on You You Swooping Buy outer Of Vintage Regulator company.
I hope That Some Independant Compay Will Start Making parts For these vintage regulators
I am keeping my dacor and my us divers reg. just in case.

Dacor was on the brink of bankruptcy. They had not been manufacturing their own parts - been outsourcing their parts manufacturing for many years - and not paying the people that made them. They were little more than a name.

The supposedly "bad" takeover company that bought them got little more than the name and whatever parts and equipment was on-hand at Dacor.

The new company made new items under the Dacor name - intending it as a lower price division. And they support what they make.

The takeover company then offered a trade-in program for owners of the older Dacor equipment - so users could get modern equipment at a reasonable price (they did not have to do this).

Don't badmouth someone for rescuing a great old name and trying to keep it alive - blame the inept management at the old Dacor that allowed their company to disintegrate.

Nothing worse than a loudmouth shouting untruths from the highest hill - speaks volumes about character!!

Sorry If Your Offended, You Must Be A Mares User.
I Just Dont Understand Why They Cannot Produce These Simple Parts For Dacor Regs .
Most Divers Would Trade Up Any How,As Regulators Are Improved ,I Just Dont Like To Be Forced To Trade Something In That I want To Continue Using For A while.
I would Have Purchased A new Dacor,LDS told me That The New Ones Were Junk.
They used To Service And Sale Dacor Till The Change Over.
They Also Told Me That Mares ,Sales Rebuild Kits For There Regs To The General Public, I dont Know If Thats True , You Tell Me.
I Know Mares Has A Good Product, But Why Even Keep A Well Known Product Name Like Dacor, If Your Not Going To Make It As Good As Your Mainstream Product?(like aqalung/Apex)
Alot of Good Companys Have Been On The Brink Of Going Bankrupt,History shows That If A company Is Rescued Its Made As Good Or Better Than It Was ,
Or Its Shut Down For Good.

Dacor was a dying company, and Mares basically bought the name...It makes no economic sense to create tooling to manufacture parts for another company's discontinued gear. For example, it costs an average of $5,000 just to produce the tooling to injection mold a second stage exhaust valve. The story that Dacor was outsourcing for their parts prior to the Mares acquisition is correct. Thus, when Mares bought the Dacor label, they didn't receive the tooling.

I believe that Mares did a kind act by offering to discount a new reg to owners of Dacor gear. They didn't have to do this, but they choose to do so.

The simple fact is that Dacor was going bankrupt, and Mares picked up the line. If that had not occurred then Dacor would not have existed in any fashion.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Thanks For Your Kind And Informative Reply
But The Fact Of The Matter Is Dacor Users Either Traded in To mares Or Purchased An Alternative Brand.
Mares Made Money Off The Sales That Came From The Trade In's
In sales You Take Trade In Based On Full MFG Price.
Most Folks May Have Been Able To Get The Same Deal With Out The Trade.
Also Many LDS Had To Deal With Unhappy Clients.
How ever i can agree That Re tool Would Be A Great Cost To The Company,How ever i dont think the trade in was out Of Kindness.
When Chrysler was about to go down Lee Iakoka (I am Sure Thats Spelled Wrong)
Lead The Company And Made A Better Product.
This Thread Is Not Intended To Pick On Mares ,They Have Out Standing Products
And i have Heard alot of great things About Them.
This issue Of Company Changes And Buy Outs Are Common Place,
I am Happy With My Scuba Pro And The Service I recieve,Please Do not Take Offence, Fellow Scuba Friends

please stop capitalizing every word. It's hard to read.

Well reading what you have posted originally seems like you alot of time on your hands to whine and cry about Dacor's fall and barely being in the game with Mares. OK so they don't have anymore parts for old Dacor regs. Why didn't you take advantage of the trade-up program? If you wanted to. I'm not to satisfied with Mares decision either on getting rid of old Dacor parts, yet I am not crying about it because I got a classic that still works flawlessly, and new school that rocks. Personally, I got a pair of Pacers at home in my face as I write this and still performs outstanding like it did when I first got it. I also realize that maybe its time change and probaly get something more "higher performance". And I did. Apeks has satisfied me now and maybe in the long run. And maybe, just maybe I might even go ahead try a new Dacor regulator, just to see if it works like the ole Pacer or not.

I traded in a couple of Dacor Pacor 360s for the Mares Abyss models. The new Mares regulators are great but it cost me $600 for the trade ($299/per regulator). That was a hard pill to take ...... the old Pacers still worked good and really didn't need to be scraped .

thank you so much scuba pro 50 for your comments,
Thats all i am saying that i hated to scrap my dacor.
I have already said i am happy with my new Scuba Pro And have moved on.
I purcased it with out trade of old dacor, and it was less than mares Abyss.
ex dacor lds give me a great deal on it.
If price would have been close i might have purchased an Abyss, i think they are neat regulator system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom