Mares Avanti Quattro fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
how many out there have tried these fins and like them or dont like them please list the reasons thanks

And I love'em. I've had for over a year now.

Pros: When I kick, I go. They seem to work well with all the different kicks (flutter, frog, dolphin, etc.).

Cons: They are about an inch longer than the fin compartment in my boat bag.

Jarhead

I like them. They give a good powerful kick without excessive leg strain (you do need a fairly decent kick to use them though or they'll cramp you). They have soft comfortable foot pockets. The strap that comes on them is a bit "gadgetty" for my taste but spring straps are easily adapted.

All in all, a good fins for a reasonably strong diver.

Tom

Thought the world of them. Nothing much to add outside of what has been posted. Strong and efficient when using the flutter kick. The straps are a little cludgy, but can be solved with some spring straps.

Not the best fins for any of the modified kicks. Yes, they work, but not well. If you can watch them in action underwater, you'd come to this realization as well. I was fortunate enough to get that opportunity, and they flutter like crazy when trying to do a good frog. It's almost impossible to move backwards or hold a position with these fins.

Thought it was me. But I switched fins this past weekend, and it's like day and night. Got a lot more out of the modified kicks using the new fins, while maintaining the same ill-formed skills, than the prior weekend with the quattros.

I would choose the quattros over anything. But for technical diving choose a stiffer, shorter and wider fin.

These are my first set of fins, but I did try a few different pairs before deciding on them. They fit well, and perform better than some of the other fins I tried.

Unlike some of the others, I like the strap and binding closure on the fins. I find them much easy to get off using the closure than pulling off a strap that tends to pull at your bootie - especially when pitching in the water hanging off a ladder at the back of the boat.

:thumb:

They seem to work good for me for flutter and frog kicks which are what I primarily use. I replaced the strap/buckles system with homemade spring straps as others have and in my opinion they are WAY better. The strap/buckle system they come with isn't bad, but spring straps are much easier to get the fins on and off and I think they're much more durable and will last longer. No more rubber straps to snap or overpriced plastic buckles to break.

but they were too much fin for me and hard on my knees. I may not be the strongest person around, but then again, I am small and don't have much to propel, either. I think it was overkill for me.

I have had mine for 5 years over 1000 dives and would not part with them for any of those new flashy split fins.
They are a big fin and need a little work to get going but they are very comfy, super easy to get on and off and will last you many years of diving !!!

Cheers Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

I fell over on exit and lost a jet fin coming out at Largs pier on a night dive and despite three of us looking, we just couldn't find it. I bought a new pair of quattros to replace them at a local dive shop. I find the polymer used is very soft and they have less resistance to abrasion. The fin is on the large size and it requires more effort than jets. I have battled to get a good short stroke flutter kick rhythm with them, and use a longer stroke, they scull okay. I found when I first used them, they gave me cramp. They are lighter than jets and I intially felt light in the feet, but advice on changing the tank position cured the problem of trim. The camming strap makes it easier get the strap on/off but the fin doesn't have the holes to put your fingers in, to pull it off. They are an okay fin, I would also like to try split and force fins but when I get the opportunity, I think I will buy another 2nd hand pair of jets.:D

Back
Top Bottom