Mares Abyss vs. Sherwood Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSheffron

Reaction score
My LDS has both of these regs on sale now and I need some input.

Mares Abyss, MR22 for $249 (SRP of $469)
Sherwood Maximus for $219 (SRP of $349)

Any comments/experience with either of these would help. I dive mostly So. Cal. so the water is chilly but not cold.

Thanks,

B.

Between the two, both are good regs and you will probably be happy with either. As far as the Sherwood is concerned it requires very little maintenance, it is extremely comfortable, it is a great coldwater reg, and it is a workhorse. How deep do you plan on diving?
Norm

Rec limits. No plans for tech diving in the near future.

i'd spend the extra money for the abyss. I don't think I have ever heard anyone with a bad thing to say about it so I think it would be well worth the extra $30. The sherwoods have a reputations for being real workhorses. However I have heard they don't breath as well as other higher end regs and I think I recall reading that they may breath a little wet but I am not sure about that.

No Question: The Abyss
Very solid, reliable reg that is excellent in breathing performance. Excellent for cold water diving. I have a Poseidon too but prefer the Abyss.
If you have any questions concerning performance:
http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=55

Abyss initially is the easy answer. far better performing reg. However, invetigate the parts cost. I know that Mares is kinds stingy on their parts. I don't know what the warranty is like (parts or no parts) but I know that they are the only manufacturer that doesn't replace the diaphragm in the kit every year.
Sherwood on the other hand, has a two year warranty program, but their parts afterwards are peanuts.
So take a look at what the warranty is like on the Mares is then go from there. Definetely though go for the Mares, no knobs and dials to fiddle with. Easy to use. Great breather

BSheffron:
My LDS has both of these regs on sale now and I need some input.

Mares Abyss, MR22 for $249 (SRP of $469)
Sherwood Maximus for $219 (SRP of $349)

Any comments/experience with either of these would help. I dive mostly So. Cal. so the water is chilly but not cold.

Thanks,

B.

Although there are some pros & cons to either reg, I'd have to go with the Abyss for being a very easy breathing reg no matter what the depth or orientation.

FYI, I've used both Sherwoods & the Abyss & prefer the Abyss.

Bonne chance,

Man, those look a lot like LP prices to me...............nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom