Question Mares 2nd stages for 15X line: Dual vs Loop vs Prestige vs Rover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Could someone please explain what is the difference between the different 2nd stage models in Mares product line that are typically combined with 15X 1st stage?

The Mares website has nothing except Dual described currently. Other sites provide minimal details like a list of technologies, not very informative for a beginner.

What I'd like to understand:
- Production status: current/discontinued?
- Bubbles in face or normal exhaust?
- Generic comparison one vs another

Thanks!

Could someone please explain what is the difference between the different 2nd stage models in Mares product line that are typically combined with 15X 1st stage?

The Mares website has nothing except Dual described currently. Other sites provide minimal details like a list of technologies, not very informative for a beginner.

What I'd like to understand:
- Production status: current/discontinued?
- Bubbles in face or normal exhaust?
- Generic comparison one vs another

Thanks!
Prestige and Rover are literally the same stage with different covers. The standard Dual is conceptually similar, but a few parts have been changed to make them cross compatible with other members of the latest generation of Mares seconds.

The Loop uses all the same internal parts as the Prestige and Rover, but is oriented so the LP hose enters from the bottom instead of the right side. It works very well if you have the hose coming up from under your arm and as an octo since it doesn't have a left or right side. But it looks weird and thus has never sold well.

The Dual ADJ is different if that's an option. It is a balanced adjustable second stage while all the others are unbalanced, downstream designs. Mares has always focused on ensuring their balanced first stages operate within a very tight IP range which negates the chief advantage of balanced second stages, but an adjustable second stage does give you slightly lower initial inhalation effort (cracking effort) than an unbalanced stage. And the adjustment allows you to compensate somewhat for less than ideal tuning of the stage. OTOH, downstream seconds stages have a very low parts count and are well known for reliability and ease of maintenance.

The Prestige/Rover are the oldest. They are not in the current retail lineup, but Mares still makes the Rover for its shop rental program and under different names for big resellers such as the "Journey" sold by diversdirect.com. Parts should be around forever. They've been selling this for a couple of decades and all the service parts including the diaphragm are still in use in current production stages.

The Loop was the next one to be added to the line. It is still in retail production as is the Dual.

Exhaust bubble paths will be the same across all of these.

IMO, there's no particular reason to choose between the Prestige/Rover and Dual. I'd probably pay a little extra for the Dual ADJ. The Loop doesn't appeal to me.

You can see all three second stages here (Rover as an octo): Diving Regulators. First Stages, Second Stages, Octopus | Mares

Make sure you choose the "International" site if you get a popup asking you to switch to USA. If the Rover doesn't show up, reopen that page in an incognito/private tab.

IMO, there's no particular reason to choose between the Prestige/Rover and Dual. I'd probably pay a little extra for the Dual ADJ. The Loop doesn't appeal to me.
Wow, thanks for such a detailed explanation! I supposed that they are really very similar, but did not thought that they are SO similar.
Another thing that confused me was that Dual is marked as 'compact' while 3 others as 'mid-size', so I worried about the bubbles. And while there are videos on the Internet showing the bubbles flow for Loop, all video reviews of Dual are 'over the table'. So I needed an external opinion here. :)

Wow, thanks for such a detailed explanation! I supposed that they are really very similar, but did not thought that they are SO similar.
Another thing that confused me was that Dual is marked as 'compact' while 3 others as 'mid-size', so I worried about the bubbles. And while there are videos on the Internet showing the bubbles flow for Loop, all video reviews of Dual are 'over the table'. So I needed an external opinion here. :)
The Dual and Prestige/Rover are basically the same size. They use the same diaphragm (as do the Atlas, Epic, Ultra, Fusion, and Loop) and the listed weights are 183 grams for the Dual and 200 grams for the Rover.

As far as the bubble path, see if you can find videos of the Ultra or Ultra Adj. It uses the same case as the Dual and Dual Adj. The exhaust tee is molded into the case so they should bubble the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom