Mares 12 III help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob DBF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well I've done it again, picked up a couple of reg sets to scavenger the SPG's for my vintage sets so I don't have to keep moving them around. Two of the sets look good and work fine in the shop, one is Sherwood so I'm good on that, but I ran into a problem with the Mares.

The screw for the retaining cover doesn't seem to take a hex, US or Metric, or torx, probably after their time. Is it a special tool, or has it been stripped out ? The screw head can be seen in the second picture

Pics below.
IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG

Also, does anyone know that the tube is for, since I haven't gotten it apart I'm afraid to guess at this point.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

This was my first reg, I bought it in 1986 and it worked well until 2004 when I bought a Mares MR22 Abyss.

As I don't have it anymore I'm only going by memory but I'm sure the screw head you are showing was an Allen bolt, size I can't recall, sorry. It should be metric though. However I've just checked all three of my MR22s and they all have a Phillips cross head!

The tube you are referring to is a venturi to assist breathing from the reg, common to all Mares regs that I've owned.

I've always thought that was one of coolest looking second stages. Plus...... that's a sporty looking piece of plywood its sitting on.

Thanks Searcaigh, I figured it was a stripped hex, probably someone using the wrong size, and I wanted to check before a destructive removal. Could have been a "soft" metal screw or too close to an imperial size and that is why it was changed to a phillips.

The tube through me for a minute, never seen one, may be if it works as well after I go through it as it does now, I could sell it to @divad, as he seems to like the look.

Bob

Yes, tres sportif.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom