March '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Date:
Dive Location:
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:

When: Weds March 3rd
Where: Way North Wall, La Jolla Shores
Time:51 mins
Depth: 92 ft
Vis: Not that bad, considering.

The cove was full of swimmers having LOTS of fun in the surf, so it was the shores for us today. Met up with Mike (nice to meet you, mate) and we made a beautifully timed entry just as the tide turned and the breakers got really interesting - the surfers were extra-perky and the whole affair was much too lively for sensible people, but who said anything about sense, and there's nothing hard to land on at the shores anyway.

We headed out vaguely north-wall-direction, trying to remember the lineups and dropped down a little far out pretty close to way north, which we duly found and explored. Vis was a greenish 5-10 feet. Easily enough to make a nice interesting dive, especially as I have not been to that spot before, and I was surprised to see a bona fide overhanging (well, a little bit) rock wall at the shores!

There were lots of those purple legged crabs around as well as large numbers of black-eyed and blue banded gobies. Also a number of juvenile-phase sheephead, and Mike should have a photo of a large scorpion fish. The holes in the wall contained the usual assortment of octopodes and lurking fish.

Getting out was a breeze compared to getting in, and we celebrated by soaking up the sun a little while comparing cameras. A nice dive against all the wisdom, we vowed to do it again: maybe tomorrow!

Peter

no photos today, but you can see my albums at:

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/diving/

Date: March 2, 2005
Dive Location: Vets Park, Redondo Beach
Time: 7:30pm
Bottom Time: 42:00
Max Depth: 104'
Vis: 5 - 10
Wave height: 2-3' shore break
Temp at depth: 57
Comments:
6 DiveVet'ers went out last night to check for the end of the squid run. No squid boats were out so we didn't expect much. Vis ranged from poor to okay if you hugged the bottom. Me and my buddy went straight out from the stairs into the canyon. Very interesting dive, lots of forging fish and bat rays feeding on squid eggs. We found small groups of 2-5 squid around 70' and deeper. On bat ray decided to feed on my fin as I was hanging around in a fin pivot. The bottom looked like a 4th of July Party at 80' with all the unspent seal bombs littering the bottom. Another reason those things should be banned. As we headed back in, we came across a 4' Angel Shark trying to camouflage itself in the sand. One of the other buddy groups was successful in grabbing two lobsters on the way in as well. Finished off with some brews at Hennesseys.

March 2, 2005
Santa Cruz island
9:00 am to 2:30
58 degrees
10 to 20 foot vis
3 dives for the day with light rain and poor vis. Although it was stil fun and we got plenty of Scallops.

Date:3/3
Dive Location:Redondo Breakwall
Time:8pm
Max Depth:45ft
Vis:2-5ft
Wave height:3-4ft
Temp at depth:55
Surface Temp:60.4

Dive Location:Redondo Palawan
Time:6pm
Bottom Time:35
Max Depth:115ft
Vis:15ft
Temp at depth:52degrees
Surface Temp:60.2

Click on the link below for full report!

http://extremedivingnews.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=3742#3742

Nice reports, Roger! Thanks for posting and telling the great stories. I love the image of you and that big crab, arm-in-arm-in-arm up from the cold dark depths. Maybe he got ticked off 'cause he couldn't equalize...sorry to hear about the seal tear.
Bon appetit!
Claudette
scubapro5:
Dive Location:Redondo Breakwall
Time:8pm
Max Depth:45ft
Vis:2-5ft
Temp at depth:55
Surface Temp:60.4

Dive Location:Redondo Palawan
Time:6pm
Bottom Time:35
Max Depth:115ft
Vis:15ft
Temp at depth:52degrees
Surface Temp:60.2

Click on the link below for full report!

http://extremedivingnews.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?p=3742#3742

Date:3/5/05
Dive Location:Oil Rigs - Eureka
Max Depth:110ft
Vis:40+ft Blue-Blue-Blue
Wave height:4-6ft
Temp at depth:55-60
Surface Temp:65

Dive Location:Oil Rigs - Ellen
Max Depth:119ft
Vis:75+ft Blue-Blue-Blue

Dive Location:Oil Rigs - Ellen
Max Depth:30-40ft +/- computer died durring decend
Vis:75+ft Blue-Blue-Blue

Don't have much time to type I'll make it simple/quick.

Join 7 buddies on the Sea Bass, used nitrox for all the dives.

1st dive: It was a bit surgy above 50', water was very calm with a seldom current that made navigating through the pile/rig easy. Durring the safety stop I got suck up to suface from 15ft...BCD was near empty durring my safety stop.

2nd dive: I added 4lb of lead, this rig was not as saturated with life but visability and water conditions were on our favor.

3rd dive: Durring my decent computer was ON, the last reading I got was 25' depth. The next time I checked it was dead. Only I aborted from the dive, once I surfaced my computer powered up for a few minutes.

The rigs are FULL of life: Enemonies, sea stars, blacksmith, sheephead, garibaldi and a few seals passing by ocasionally. I highly recommend this dive to all.

Sorry no time for spell check.

Nice report! Sounds like the oil rigs were the best place to be.

At least the computer died on your 3rd dive and not your first.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom