Marathon diving Aug 14-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yakdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Heading to Marathon from Boston area and looking to dive. I do a lot of lobster diving in MA. Can I dive for lobster in/around Marathon during this time period? Any license needed? Any recommendations for who to dive with? Anyone going out that week looking for a northern buddy? What are costs in general and water temps? I am debating whether it is even worth diving since I am doubful the diving will be as good as what I am currently doing. Any recommendations for post dive refreshments?

thanks

I'm also heading down to Marathon, probably late August, so I'm also interested what the others have to say. My only experience there is going to Sombrero Reef, which is relatively shallow and beautiful but not for fishing/lobstering as it's protected.

You do need a saltwater fishing permit with the crawfish add-on if you're going to lobster. Water temps are generally going to be above 80°, but for the deeper stuff I would call the dive operator to ask their opinions.

+1 on the salt water fishing license, add a lobster stamp for around 25$ Boat rentals are available for around 100-150$ a day (they usually come with GPS and bottom finder). There are plenty of patch reefs on the Atlantic side and some decent lobstering on the Gulf side if you can find the small pockets that hold bugs. The water temps are usually mid 80's when we go this time of year, the deeper stuff can tend to change.

I was in Marathon last month for a family vacation. I dove with Tilden's and liked them VERY much. The downside is that due to limited demand, they only ran out to Sombrero Reef. After the 3rd trip I was getting tired of that VERY shallow dive.

Tilden's on on the gulf side and they are located towards the southern end of Marathon. Captain Hooks is often recommend here on SB. I chose Tildens because they were 1 mile from where I was staying. Captain Hooks in on the Atlantic side which might mean more variety of dive sites.

I did get to do a night dive with Tilden's. FUN!!!

Risking almost certain criticism with a tangential suggestion - forget the bug quest and just experience the Keys, uh, experience. You get the Maine bugs in MA and they're in a class by themselves, subjectively speaking, not to be excelled. Why mess with warm water crayfish when on vacation? Take those short boat rides, minimal gear, toasty waters, great viz, and relax. I'll be at MM100 next week and, while I will be mentally tallying the potential bugs (can't help it), I'll mainly be cruisin' the shallow reefs and sanitized (moderately shallow) wrecks and enjoying the ambiance. And as for saying you doubt the diving will be as good as what you're currently doing - it's like comparing filet to grilled (MAINE) lobster tail; both delicious but completely different. HTH.

Risking almost certain criticism with a tangential suggestion - forget the bug quest and just experience the Keys, uh, experience. You get the Maine bugs in MA and they're in a class by themselves, subjectively speaking, not to be excelled. Why mess with warm water crayfish when on vacation? Take those short boat rides, minimal gear, toasty waters, great viz, and relax. I'll be at MM100 next week and, while I will be mentally tallying the potential bugs (can't help it), I'll mainly be cruisin' the shallow reefs and sanitized (moderately shallow) wrecks and enjoying the ambiance. And as for saying you doubt the diving will be as good as what you're currently doing - it's like comparing filet to grilled (MAINE) lobster tail; both delicious but completely different. HTH.

I am on vacation next week and am hunting up other divers to fill my dance card.
I will most certainly be shore diving up here in Broward, and I do happen to have 2 kayaks for divin'.
I have been thinking about getting off of my wallet and doing a day trip to the Keys or two.
You guys hit me with a PM if you like and perhaps we can do a meetup.
Chug
Thinks Maine Lobsters suck out loud, and that could be because they are not free.

I've been out with the folks from "Dive Duck Key" at Hawks Cay a number of times. They are located about 10 miles from Marathon at MM 65. They primarily go out to the 25-35ft range but do have a few sites that are deeper. They do allow hunting (lobster and spearfishing (for fish)) but I'd call them ahead of time to get it set up. I think they have all the necessary licenses but again, call to confirm. They can rent you all the gear you'll need and are a great group to dive with. I'm going out to the Thunderbolt with them on Sunday the 15th. It's a wreck in 110feet of water and it's always a great spot to see big eels, grouper, and sharks. Sometimes it's loaded w/ Cuda and Amberjack along w/ anything else that swims.
Scuba Diving, Snuba, Resort Courses, Scuba Diving Lessons at Dive Duck Key, Florida Keys
One of the really nice things about them is that there is a really nice "ship's store" next door to pick up refeshments, take a shower, etc.

You asked about water temps...I dive in shorts and a rash guard this time of year. The water's been in the 80s.

After your dive I highly recommend the Wreck Bar and Restraunt. It's just past the Dolphin Research center (immediatly past). The servings are huge and the food is awesome; they've got the best Buffulo Chicken sandwich in the Keys...maybe the world. They also serve a really great grouper sandwich; it too is really good and you'll have to work to eat it all. Very reasonable prices.

If you come down on Sunday, just look for the chubby guy wearing the Tarpon flavored rash guard sitting near the swim platform...that'll probably be me.

Hello,

I've been in Marathon for a week now, was in Pompano Beach 2 weeks prior. The water is much nicer here than in Pompano / Boca IMO. I dove w/ Tilden's twice now. They're a good shop. If you dive w/ them and go lobstering, you don't need a license b/c the captains of their boats have a captains license that will cover you. I asked people outside of the shop and they verified that this was acceptable here in FL.

I'll be here until the end of Labor day. PM me if anyone wants to get together for a boat rental. I like chasing after the lobsters and would really like to try spear fishing. I'm ok w/ buying a license if need be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom