Manufacturer condones Warsaw Grouper slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
Perhaps others should have the same thing in mind? That just maybe, something they find offensive & unacceptable is not that at all, in the place where it occured & by the people involved?

I completely agree with you. I'd love to see more of that in the frequent threads that get started to slam the Japanese for eating whale.

Speaking of whale, have you tried it?

I hold absolutely zero opinion on it as a type of food. Never been anywhere it was eaten, so no chance to try it. I'm just curious if someone such as yourself (ie, not a native Japanase who grew up with the stuff) might have to say if it was sampled.

I do hold the opinion that they should not be hunted excessively, as has happened in the past. But if a species has numbers that allow some form of harvest, even if heavily restricted, it doesn't bother me.

Wayward Son:
Speaking of whale, have you tried it?
No I haven't. My wife loves it though, although contrary to popular believe it's hardly ever onsale and when it is it's incredibly expensive.

I guess the manufacture should extend a thank you to Peter. This 12 page thread with 114 replies and over 3000 + views has generated more free advertising for Zeagle products to a targeted market, than they could have ever hoped for.

Another reason that boycotts don't work. Hmmm, maybe I could start a boycott on my next e-bay auction!!

Johnoly:
Another reason that boycotts don't work. Hmmm, maybe I could start a boycott on my next e-bay auction!!

could you boycott mine as well, please? i need all the help i can get

This IS an international board. We do have a large portion who love spearfishing and an equally large portion who don't. While your passions may wax hot on the issue, please do not resort to flaming (I have not seen that yet) or to politicising this issue (I have edited posts for this).

Disagreeing with a particular stance, even strongly, does not necessarily entail flaming. No one is required to agree with anyone else, and they are allowed to voice their disagreement, albeit in a non-threatening manner. If I have missed any post that anyone feels IS a flame, please bring it to the Moderators' attention by using the "report bad post" feature which looks like an exclamation mark at the bottom left of every post. We strive to keep an even playing field for even the most contentious issues.

If you have any questions or comments regarding ScubaBoard's position on this, please PM me or raise them in Site Support: this is not the place to discuss these matters. I merely bring this up so we can ALL stay on topic.

peterbkk:
If we, the scuba-diving community, do not fight for the protection of the oceans, then who will.
Who indeed...
You have attacked the very people who are in fact most active in the "fight for the protection of the oceans."
It wasn't the "environmentalists" who stemmed the destruction of duck habitat and reversed the decline in duck populations - it was (and is) duck hunters.
It wasn't "environmentalists" that improved the deer habitat to the point that we now have more deer than at any time in history - it was (and is) deer hunters.
It isn't "environmentalists" who are this very day fighting to improve and increase available habitat and populations for game fish in the Gulf of Mexico - it is fishermen. "Environmentalists" find reasons to oppose every sane idea that will improve fish stocks, because "environmentalists" aren't really "for the environment" so much as they are "anti human activity."
"The environment" has been changing constantly since the earth's beginning. Some of the change has been "cosmic event" driven, some has been species driven - but it has never ever been stagnant, pristine or perfect.
Today, humans exist. They eat, they build, they consume, they create waste, they produce, they cultivate, they learn, they change... they impact the environment; they change the environment. Seeking stagnation of the environment isn't natural; it is pure folly. You can either get on board with proactive ideas for making those inevitable changes positive and beneficial or be perpetually frustrated in your efforts to stop them. In the arena of ocean resources, no one has a more vested interest than fishermen. However, because the worldwide education level is low, and the combination of ignorance of scale - "the ocean is unlimited" - and short-sighted rapaciousness - "get it while you still can" - trumps sound fisheries management globally, many fishermen don't know it.
But the fishermen you have chosen to attack, and the company you have chosen to attack are some who do understand their vested interest, and if you really do want to "save the oceans" you would do well to join them in their efforts. While it may seem counterintuitive to the true believer environmentalist, environmental change is not necessarily bad... just ask the deer in Alabama.
Rick

Johnoly:
I guess the manufacture should extend a thank you to Peter. This 12 page thread with 114 replies and over 3000 + views has generated more free advertising for Zeagle products to a targeted market, than they could have ever hoped for.

I'd have to second that, I never considered their products but because of this thread next time I go over to my LDS I'm definitely going to see if they have anything by Zeagle! Apparently it's the only Zeagle dealer in the country. I'm looking to switch over to a BP/W.

Years ago before I ever learned how to dive on scuba I tried a little spearfishing with a snorkel. I never actually caught anything as it was in Greece and the sea was pretty much fished out by the fishermen.
Here in Japan now I think it's illegal (not completely sure) - but if you tried it you would probably be in serious danger of attack from the fishermen. They think that they own the sea (again a debatable legal position) and in many places they hate divers because they take shellfish and urchins. Basically the fishermen see everything in the sea as their own potential livelihood so they consider you to be stealing from them if you take anything at all. It's an incredibly sensitive issue here and results in a lot of good diving locations being off-limits. As a foreigner you actually have more chance doing deals with them though. I actually got permission to dive one very good site this year - on the promise I wouldn't take anything. There are very few Japanese divers I'd take to that site though because they really can't keep their hands to themselves when it come to sea-food! :D

i don't have a problem with some guys spearfish Warsaw grouper, though it's
a shame to take out the "top" breeders in a species. would be smarter to go
after the smaller ones. there's lots of research on this, so go look it up (i can't
provide links atm) before you start flaming me.

however, it's really commercial fishermen that deplete stock, not scuba spearguys.
read the history of the North Atlantic fisheries and it's a sad tale of over-fishing,
habitat destruction, and pollution, not by guys with spear guns, but by the
commercial guys.

their goal is not conservation. their goal is maximum immediate profits.
when they run out of one species, they go to the next.

Back
Top Bottom