Manila to Busuanga flight help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ_UK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can anyone help please, I've tried looking on Cebu Pacific's website, but I can't find the info I need and I have not had any replies to any e-mails I sent them last week.

What is the maximum weight allowed for a single suitcase?
Does the 15kg free baggage allowance include the 7kg allowed for hand luggage or are we allowed a free total allowance of 22kg ?

I live in the UK and will be travelling to the Philippines in Jan 2010, going to Coron for a couple of weeks diving. Accommodations etc are all already sorted out, we were going to use the Superferry, but after recent sad events this year we've decided to fly instead. We will have to fly from Manila to Coron on Friday 22nd Jan & return on Monday 8th Feb.

We will each have a hard-shelled suitcase which will have all our dive gear, plus what ever else we can fit in - clothes, sun lotion etc.. (all the usual stuff) - these cases will weigh 30kg. We will also each have hand luggage weighing 7kg.
There will also be one laptop pc in a laptop bag & one small camera case (I believe that these two items are allowable on Cebu Pacific as free extra carry ons) .

I see on the Cebu Pacific web site that I can purchase in advance up to an extra 15kg excess baggage allowance each - so I'm hoping that this would be enough to cover everything.

I also noticed that I could purchase in advance a Sports Gear allowance of 15kg, but the info about this is not very clear, but from what I have read it seems that the scuba gear would have to be in a case on it's own which is not really an option for us.

Any other airline recommendations ?
Someone did mention Zestair, but as from 17th Oct they will only be flying on tues, thurs, sat & sun instead of daily flights.

Thanks very much in advance,
Russ

Hi Russ,

1) --> Cebu Pacific Air - It's time everyone flies :

"
Guests are allowed a free baggage allowance of 15 kg (10 kg for selected airports using ATR-72 aircraft) which covers personal effects and/ or other paraphernalia subject to the conditions and limitations contained in our Terms and Conditions of Carriage. These include sports equipment, musical instrument etc.

On top of the free baggage allowance, we allow carriage of:

* Baby stroller (only if traveling with an infant)
* Wheelchair (only for personal use)
* Crutches (only for personal use)

We allow guests to carry one (1) piece of hand baggage to be carried on board provided that it does not exceed the dimensions 56cm x 36cm x 23cm and provided that it does not weigh more than 7 kg (5 kg for selected airports using ATR-72 aircraft). Hand baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. Contents of which can only be personal effects and can be readily opened for inspection.

On top of the one (1) piece hand baggage, we allow guests to bring the following items provided they remain in the guest’s custody during the flight:

* One (1) walking stick
* One (1) umbrella (depending on local airport regulations)
* One (1) laptop
* One (1) purse or small backpack or briefcase or camera case
* Coat
"

If there is a restriction on weight per luggage item, it will be in the UK and not in the Philippines. There are some labor agreements in Europe for airport personel to protect them from heavy items. If your luggage is too heavy (and I believe that 30kg is over the limit), you might have to go through the excess luggage counter. So better to split it in 2 if you can.

2) For the sports bag:

Sports Equipment Fee!

3) Please do note that you might have a hard time booking a Cebu Pacific ticket from Europe. I never managed to do so from Belgium. They say that the credit card was declined. I called the credit card company and they said that there never had been any decline. It seems that Cebu Pacific has some issues with foreign credit cards.

We ended up flying Philippine Airlines, where we could smoothly book our flights. If you book long enough in advance, the price difference with Cebu Pacific will be small.
Another Plus is that Philippine Airlines has a 20 kg allowance per person so that might save you the sports bag thing to stay within your allowance.

Kris

Hi Russ,
We used PAL Express, and the xs luggage with them worked out extremely cheap - less than £2 a KG.

Dave

Hi. it doesnt matter how many pieces of luggage you have since the 15kg is the total weight allowed for checked in baggage for each passenger. plus you get 7kg for carry on baggage in addition to camera and laptop.
its the first time i heard about the sports gear allowance so i cant help you with that.
zestair will probably have the same baggage restrictions if not lower, depending on the size of planes they use.

Thanks very much for your replies so far. I'd still like to try to find out the maximum weight allowed for a single case if anyone can help. I do know that on international flights from the UK the maximum allowable weight regarding heath & safety issues is 32kg - so I'm hoping it will be similar in the Philippines.

[EDIT] - I have tried to e-mail airphilippines, but my messages keep getting bounced back :-
This is the mail system at host smtp-7.mozcom.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<reservations@airphilippines.com.ph>: host
airphilippines-mx2.mozcom.com[61.9.31.61] said: 554 5.7.1 This message has
been blocked because it is from a DNSBL/ORDBL IP address.(path black ip
79.75.***.**) (in reply to end of DATA command)

So can't contact or have any correspondence with them so I'll just have to wait & hope for a reply from cebu pacific now.

@ jigo
As I posted before - zestair do not operate on the days required - so they are also not an option. I know the free allowance is 15kg, but I will be paying for excess - my question is still 'Can I use a suitcase weighing 30kg ?'

Last edited:
15 kg for checked-in baggage and 7 kg for carry-on for Cebupac air.

edit: in addition to what Kris said, PAL has sportplus which is an add'l 20 kg allowance for sports equipment.
Air Philippines is the carrier that flies Manila - Busuanga. I remember one poster stating that he was denied the PAL sports package and the reason being that it does not apply to Air Philippines, so maybe double check to see if this holds true.

A heads up about the return flights - I went in July and the flight times changed for all carriers depending on the # of passengers. So be ready to leave earlier or later on the date of departure.

Thanks again for your replies.
I'm not too worried about getting the sports allowance or having to pay for an excess baggage allowance of 15kg. My biggest problem in the maximum weight allowance per case. I can just about make it with the allowance I get on the international flight to Manila - I get 30kg checked luggage & 7kg hand luggage & I can also carry a laptop PC & a camera bag. If I have to bring an extra case to split the 30kg then just the weight of the extra case will take me over my maximum allowance.
Is there anyone here who could please email both airlines for me and ask what the maximum allowable weight is for a single suitcase ??
Thanks again,
Russ

hi. 30kg bag/case shouldnt be a problem if you're willing to pay excess baggage fee. airlines here do not put a limit on weight of each bag. most Filipino expatriates bring home huge boxes and luggage that weigh more than 30kg each.

Thanks very much for this info Jigo - that's the reply I was hoping for. Will probably use Cebu Pacific as I can pay for the excess baggage in advance (1200PHP each way for 15kg excess) - I already know the cases will be very close to 30kg from previous trips to Coron.

Is it better to book the flights straight away or wait ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom