Manifold shutdown drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daylight

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm having a problem reaching the manifold knobs during the "switching regs and shutting down the manifold" drill.

My instructor will allow me to shift the backplate/wing/tanks up quite high to facilitate closing down and opening the manifold knobs. I'm trying to accomplish the drill with minimal shifting of my equipment because I want to be able to accomplish the exercise as close to possible "real world" as possible.

I figure I may need to perform this without having much room to move equipment around in some potential situations. Am I making too big a deal out of this or am I doing something wrong.

Suggestions or comments are appreciated.

daylight,have the problem of short arms myself.I pull up,hold the iso-wheel and pull hard with both hands over my head .When I can reach I turn the offending wheel to complete the exercise.This difficult in heavy rubber.Another benefit of tri-lam drysuits.Is your crotch-strap allowing for much movement?Mine will bind(ouch)if it's too tight and I try this.

Yep, that sounds like what I need to do. I'm heading off to class now and will let you know if what you suggested will solve my problem.

Thanks a bunch.

DSAO

How important is it to be able to readily reach the valves?
During my apprentice drills, we ran a long restriction "lights out" (eyes closed) where the cave made a long, gentle left turn with the line along the left wall in a near trap for 50 yards or so. Even with great care there was lots of bumping of the overhead on the left side. Because of this, I suspected a rolloff and checked it when we finally got free of the restriction. Sure enough the left post was completely off - a potentially bad situation.
Rick

It was always a joke when I used to do Jitsu that I was one of the most inflexible people in my style.....

Now with diving I have this same problem with manifold shutdown drills - on my rig in the UK I have a slob knob (don't know what the official name is) but I did not bring all that gear out with me.

I am just about to start the advanced nitrox course and know I will be asked to do this do am working on my flexibility in the hope I can reach. I think it should also be easier as diving in warmer water I won't have to wear so much stuff under my dry suit.

I know it can be done by loosening the straps and taking off the crotch strap by I guess you have to do it PDQ in a real life situation or it's all gone....

Jonathan

Tips:

Flexibility exercises during your SI ... practice reaching back and scratching between your shoulder blades or at least practice until you can .... also, push on your elbow with the other hand to increase your range.

Loosen your crotch strap a tad.

If diving dry... add just enough air/argon to take off some of the squeeze.

If your suit is restricting your mobility.... ebay it and get another the right size.

If your dry under garment is limiting your mobility take it to a seamstress and have panels put under the arms and across the back.

If diving wet and your suit is restricting your movement have it modified or get another the right size.

Use Sherwood rubber knobs.

When doing valve drills push your elbow back like you did during your excercises.

Reach back with both hands and grab your valves and pull the tanks up toward you head.

Get in a very slighty head declined position to move the tanks toward your head.

I have implemented all of the above (with the exception of diving wet) and at 53 can reach my valves now with ease..... my 31 year old dive partner still has to push on his elbow.
:)

I took the advise of 100-days-a year and everything worked out fine. I do think the exercises will be a good investment for future and apprentice.

I thought I was having problems until I observed what some of the other folks were going through. I agree that rolloff is probably the greatest risk.

Thanks to all.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

at 53 can reach my valves now with ease..... :)

That's 'cause we young pups remain flexible, responsive and enthusiastic, Pug.
Rick

Congrats daylight. Rick,Pug...I didn't think gentlemen mentioned age:wink:

and I turn 56.

Time flys when you're having fun.

I arch, creak and pop; but I don't want to miss anything so I keep doing it.

Finish Tech in Februry and Cave starts in May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom