Manifold Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Greaves:
Go on to leisurepro.com and get the oms 200bar manifold.. Its only $169 on there.. Thats what I use and it works great.. I found that the one with the threaded isolator is very easy to make seal.. Heres a link to it..

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMSIMR.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3doms%2bmanifold%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26DescSort%3d0%26Hit%3d1

Yeah, make sure you get the 200bar manifold.. No real point in getting the 300bar..

I disagree, the 200 bar creates a gap when used with 300 Bar DIN fittings that can easily trap line. Many who use doubles are also in a cave or wreck using line....

Of course I'm interested. Do I need to pay attention to centerline spacing of the valves, or is it a given that they'll be O.K.?

The BP/W won't get wet until the doubles are ready to go.
Thanks again

To all of you who have been kind enough to respond, thank you for the great answers. Your input really helps me out.

I don't know if I would go the custom bands route, I'm sure their great, but I tend to stick to brand name stuff to assure compatibility on assembly.

Cerich I assume the "gap" you're referring to is being caused by the additional threads extending out when you try to screw a 300 bar DIN reg into a 200 Bar Valve. If this is not correct could you explain it further?

Ah, not to disagree with Tim, Because according to this profile he only deals with the best equipment. But,.........there may be real reason to get the 300 BAR manifold. I own and have used both 200 and 300 bar manifolds. Chances are pretty good that if you are doing the kinds of dives that require manifolded doubles you will want DIN Regulators. Yoke regulators simply can not deal with the fill pressures that you may be using, and will leak at the o-ring interface. Additionally, din regs provide a cleaner profile with fewer snag points and do not present a contact point on the back that could result in dislodging a regulator should you contact an overhead environment. The only reason I currently own any 200 bar manifolds, is so that I have loaner doubles for use in getting friends to convert away from single al 80's with another slung and toward a proper double set.

fweber:
Ah, not to disagree with Tim, Because according to this profile he only deals with the best equipment. But,.........there may be real reason to get the 300 BAR manifold. I own and have used both 200 and 300 bar manifolds. Chances are pretty good that if you are doing the kinds of dives that require manifolded doubles you will want DIN Regulators. Yoke regulators simply can not deal with the fill pressures that you may be using, and will leak at the o-ring interface. Additionally, din regs provide a cleaner profile with fewer snag points and do not present a contact point on the back that could result in dislodging a regulator should you contact an overhead environment. The only reason I currently own any 200 bar manifolds, is so that I have loaner doubles for use in getting friends to convert away from single al 80's with another slung and toward a proper double set.

I didnt mean 200 over 300 for the yoke fittings.. I meant that you can use 99% of the regs in the USA on the 200 bar manifolds(din).. If you ever wanted to use yoke you can but I never do.. And I have noticed alot of places that the 300bar is more expensive than the 200bar and your not gainning anything by going with the 300bar..

HarveyO:
Cerich I assume the "gap" you're referring to is being caused by the additional threads extending out when you try to screw a 300 bar DIN reg into a 200 Bar Valve. If this is not correct could you explain it further?

You regulator is 300 bar.. Check the length of the threads.. The manifold is 200 bar.. So a few of the threads on the regulator will stick out of the manifold.. Not a problem at all and its perfectly normal..

Now if you had a 200 bar regulator then you would have to use a 200 bar manifold.. The beneifit of the 200 bar manifold is that you can use any regulator with it and you can use yoke inserts if you ever wanted to..

cerich:
I disagree, the 200 bar creates a gap when used with 300 Bar DIN fittings that can easily trap line. Many who use doubles are also in a cave or wreck using line....

I do wreck diving but no cave diving.. The "gap" thats there is very small and I have never had a problem with it getting caught on anything.. There are alot of other snag points on a scuba setup that are alot more prone to snagging than that little gap thats there..

Well that's the kicker, the custom bands will be guaranteed to work with your specific tanks and manifold. You could potentially have name brand bands, OMS for example, and a name brand manifold, older DiveRite for example, that can't be used together.

HarveyO:
I don't know if I would go the custom bands route, I'm sure their great, but I tend to stick to brand name stuff to assure compatibility on assembly.

Tim Greaves:
I didnt mean 200 over 300 for the yoke fittings.. I meant that you can use 99% of the regs in the USA on the 200 bar manifolds(din).. If you ever wanted to use yoke you can but I never do.. And I have noticed alot of places that the 300bar is more expensive than the 200bar and your not gainning anything by going with the 300bar..

So, the only reason for going with the 200 is cost? What, like 10 bucks? What you are gaining is the additional strength of the 300 bar connection, debatable as it may be. If you're never planning to use 200 bar regs anyhow(and I haven't seen many 200 bar din regs), nor yoke fit regs, and there is a chance of filling your tanks to 3600 some day, why not go with the 300 bar connection? Seems to me you're gaining additional strenght of connection and additional security in the event that you do contact an overhead for only a couple dollars.

Just my two cents,

fweber:
So, the only reason for going with the 200 is cost? What, like 10 bucks? What you are gaining is the additional strength of the 300 bar connection, debatable as it may be. If you're never planning to use 200 bar regs anyhow(and I haven't seen many 200 bar din regs), nor yoke fit regs, and there is a chance of filling your tanks to 3600 some day, why not go with the 300 bar connection? Seems to me you're gaining additional strenght of connection and additional security in the event that you do contact an overhead for only a couple dollars.

Just my two cents,

Thats the difference.. You can fill the tank to 3600 with the 200bar manifold.. The "bar" rating on the manifold has nothing to do with the pressure.. Its what rating of regulator it will accept.. And the additional threads arent going to add hardly any strength to the setup.. If you do happen to contact an overhead environment hard enought do you think that the steel threads are going to crack? More like the bolt that hold the din fitting to the reg body will crack and in that case it doesnt matter how many threads you have going into the valve..

I have seen alot of yoke fitting regs out there.. Many people are switching to din now but there are still alot of them out there..

Go to this link and look at the first tech tip..
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/mvs.shtml

Back
Top Bottom