Manifold Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This spring I am converting my 2 tanks to nitrox. I also want to make them ready to double when I am ready to do tec courses (after I finish rescue diver).

I want to be able to use the tanks as singles (for doing DM course) and as doubles.

I also want to use DIN but be able to use yoke.

Can doubles be easily be assebled and dissembled?

Do you all recommend the valves with yoke "screw-ins"?

Can most dive shops fill tanks with DIN fittings?

Should I then just have DIN regs an have Yoke adapters on hand for borrowing/renting tanks and for travel?

Any recommendations for what to get to fulfill what looks like my needs?

Thanks.

You really don't want to take doubles apart and put them back together on a regular basis. I let others address the other questions.

Carefully consider diving independent twins, there are those who feel that is a superior system anyway.

DivingCRNA:
I want to be able to use the tanks as singles (for doing DM course) and as doubles.

Should I then just have DIN regs an have Yoke adapters on hand for borrowing/renting tanks and for travel?
yes you can disassemble a maifolded/banded set of doubles to dive single, but its a major effort.

If your going tech youll probably want 300 bar din. The adaptable ones your thinking of are 232(?)bar din with an insert to revert them back to yoke. These are called Thermo Provalves. I have one on my singles but true 300 din on my doubles. All shops SHOULD be able to fill din, Ive never heard of one locally that can not. I have heard of shops that cant fill 3500 psi though...

My suggestion is to setup the doubles with true din, buy a 3rd tank for singles with a pro valve on it, convert your regs to din and have a din to yoke adapter for your regs for when you go somewhere tropical. This is what I do, but actually I have an extra reg that is set up for singles, this way, no changing of hoses, have a complete second set for lending to friends.

DivingCRNA:
This spring I am converting my 2 tanks to nitrox. I also want to make them ready to double when I am ready to do tec courses (after I finish rescue diver).
Are they aluminum or steel tanks? It makes a difference for O2 cleaning; supplies required and procedures, particularly if you're doing it yourself.

DivingCRNA:
This is not a realistic objective for most people under most conditions.

DivingCRNA:
Why? In any case, there are yoke conversion kits for DIN regs.

DivingCRNA:
No. It is a PITA. Particularly when considering O2 cleaning for partial pressure nitrox blending. Also, a manifold and bands may run between $250 and $300 depending on what parts you buy, when, and from whom.

DivingCRNA:
You will want to use DIN regs with a DIN manifold, whether you own the yoke inserts or not. IMHO a 300 DIN manifold would be preferable.

DivingCRNA:
Yes

DivingCRNA:
This would be prudent if you travel frequently. But it would entail disassembly of your doubles regs into singles regs. It would be less of a PITA to simply have a travel reg and your standard DIN regs set up for the doubles.

DivingCRNA:
Any recommendations for what to get to fulfill what looks like my needs?
Unless you have incredible amounts of time, this is not something you do on the cheap. Get a set of double aluminum 80s for when you want to work with doubles, and (a) single tank(s) for singles use. Ditto on the regs. Otherwise, if you move back and forth frequently, standby to do a large amount of reconfiguring.

Alternately, you could do as T suggests and get yourself a set of travel bands and simply clamp together your two singles. IMHO that isn't an optimal path, but its certainly feasible for someone who needs absolute flexibility on a day to day or week to week basis.....

A few thoughts in order of what I might do:

1. 200 bar manifold with Yoke inserts - Sea Elite makes a nice one for well under $200.

2. Buy the end caps for the valves so they can be used as singles for now.

3. Assemble the doubles after your DM course (bands $100).

4. Convert your regs to DIN and use a DIN to Yoke converter when traveling.

The two previsous posts are very relavent as well. Assembling and disassembling doubles is not something to be done often. As such, in the interim (e.g. while doing you courses you want to dive doubles but have singles for the classes) the above would still allow you have independent doubles. Then once you are done put the manifold in to place.

Thalassamania:
Carefully consider diving independent twins, there are those who feel that is a superior system anyway.

Independents offer some advantages to manifolded doubles, they also offer significant disadvantages as well. One clear item is that they do add more task loading and complications than a standard isolation manifolded set of doubles.

David P:
If your going tech youll probably want 300 bar din. The adaptable ones your thinking of are 232(?)bar din with an insert to revert them back to yoke. These are called Thermo Provalves. I have one on my singles but true 300 din on my doubles. All shops SHOULD be able to fill din, Ive never heard of one locally that can not. I have heard of shops that cant fill 3500 psi though...

I used to think and recommend the 300bar over the 232 bar manifolds. After some more reading, I don't think it matters any more. 200/232 manifolds do offer one distinct advantage - yoke inserts to allow yoke regs to be used.

Now, if you do go tec - you will want DIN. You can convert now or later but its something you will want to do.

Filling DIN, if you are worried about it, you can get the DIN to Yoke fill adapter for $30-$40 bucks. NESS has one and they pop up on Ebay every now and again.

I have almost the exact same problem, I'm working on my DM, and tech. I have my LP108's doubled, they originally had a 200 bar manifold, but I just swapped that to a 300 bar for tech. I did have them broken down as singles for a while, but as others had said, it is a PITA. So I picked up a used reg, overhauled a O2 cleaned it, and when I'm working with students, my instructor just tosses me one of his tanks to use no charge, so after my 108's get hydro'd next month, I will NOT be breaking them down as singles again, way too much of a hassle.

in_cavediver:
Independents offer some advantages to manifolded doubles, they also offer significant disadvantages as well. One clear item is that they do add more task loading and complications than a standard isolation manifolded set of doubles.
Very little in life comes free. They do add a small degree of task load, but you're supposted to be paying attention anyway.

Back
Top Bottom