Manifold Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO a 300 DIN manifold would be preferable

While more is usually better. If you are using LP cylinders - 2400 PSI ~170 bar is there any advantage to using a 300 Bar manifold over a 230 bar manifold. The TDL LP double specials come with Thermo Pro Manifolds instead of Thermo DIN Manifolds. Any reason to ask for a 300 bar DIN instead - one is never going to come anywhere near 300 bar in LP cylinders.

DivingCRNA:
This spring I am converting my 2 tanks to nitrox. I also want to make them ready to double when I am ready to do tec courses (after I finish rescue diver).

I want to be able to use the tanks as singles (for doing DM course) and as doubles.

I also want to use DIN but be able to use yoke.

Can doubles be easily be assebled and dissembled?

Do you all recommend the valves with yoke "screw-ins"?

Can most dive shops fill tanks with DIN fittings?

Should I then just have DIN regs an have Yoke adapters on hand for borrowing/renting tanks and for travel?

Any recommendations for what to get to fulfill what looks like my needs?

Thanks.

Even if you run redundants (no manifold) setting up and breaking down doubles is not something I would call ever call "easy". I prefer DIN, there are alot of threads on this board as to the reasoning... If your tanks are DIN and your regs are DIN, the only time you'll have an issue is when you are not using your own tanks, like when traveling on a dive vacation. Pick up yoke converters for your regs to use when you rent or travel, issue solved.

timle:
While more is usually better. If you are using LP cylinders - 2400 PSI ~170 bar is there any advantage to using a 300 Bar manifold over a 230 bar manifold. The TDL LP double specials come with Thermo Pro Manifolds instead of Thermo DIN Manifolds. Any reason to ask for a 300 bar DIN instead - one is never going to come anywhere near 300 bar in LP cylinders.

There is no significant difference between a 200 bar and 300 bar valve except 2 threads. Structurally they are the same. The 200 bar valve will let you put a yoke plug into them so that you can use them with either DIN or Yoke regs. It would be more accurate if the valves were called a 7 thread DIN Valve and a 9 thread DIN Valve.

That said there something to be said for the 7 thread valves over the 9 thread valves. People have had the 9 thread valves knocked sans regulator which can damaged the threads. As such, it makes it hard to seat the regulator. For that reason, I keep DIN plugs in the valves. Also if a valve comes open during transport gas does not escape.

Here is some more on this:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml#dinfaq

I have two lp95s with modular valves on them. I plug them in the summer and use as singles when I use them for recreational and teaching, and I unplug and manifold them in the winter when I double them up for cave diving. As others have said, get 200bar MODULAR din valves, for the most flexibility. It is not easy to assemble. Then again, you could always side mount them :).

Back
Top Bottom