Mandatory tracking device for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Firstly, it is tragic to hear the loss of a diver. What is equally distressing is the idea that they may never be recovered. I was wondering if it is possible to have a time/pressure released signalling device that divers should be made to carry. In case of a lost diver who does not surface, the device should trigger itself, shoot up the the surface and signal the location. Does such a gizmo make sense? Has something of the kind ever been developed?

Sure, such a device is possible. I hope it isn't developed though, and if it is, I would really hate to see it made mandatory.
There are no SCUBA Police, nor should there be.
Body recovery is dangerous. If I die on a dive, I absolutely do NOT want anyone to risk their own life to recover my body. Don't do it. Leave it where it is.

"be made to carry"

No. I hate rules and regulations imposed by a nanny state, presumably for our own good.

After all, no one needs to recreational dive so maybe it should be banned?

I'd have a hard time spending money on something meant only to allow for recovery of my corpse. If I'm dead, I'd rather sleep with the fishes than with the earthworms.

There are lots of electronic gizmos to track ROV's, etc underwater, like a trackpoint system, but who will buy all of the receivers? Besides, mandatory? I can count the number of divers "lost" per year on one hand. It's a tragedy for the loved ones, but hardly a blip for the industry....

Interesting suggestion. Skydivers wear AADs, an automatic activation device. I don't think they are mandatory but they are commonly used.
[h=1]Automatic activation device[/h]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Automatic activation device (AAD) in skydiving terminology refers to an electronic-pyrotechnic or mechanical device that automatically opens the main or reserve parachute container at a preset altitude or after a preset time.

AADs are typically used to open the reserve parachute container at a preset altitude if the descent rate exceeds a preset activation speed.[1] This indicates that the user has not opened his or her parachute, or that the parachute is malfunctioning and is not slowing the descent rate sufficiently.

The older style mechanical AADs are falling out of fashion in favour of the newer style electronic-pyrotechnic models. The built-in computers in the newer models can make much better estimates of the altitude and the vertical speed, therefore making the units more reliable than the older types.

Firstly, it is tragic to hear the loss of a diver. What is equally distressing is the idea that they may never be recovered. I was wondering if it is possible to have a time/pressure released signalling device that divers should be made to carry. In case of a lost diver who does not surface, the device should trigger itself, shoot up the the surface and signal the location. Does such a gizmo make sense? Has something of the kind ever been developed?

Remember 30 years ago when BCD's had an emergency inflation device charged with CO2 that would super inflate a BCD in an emergency? Know why they don't exist anymore? Because they would deploy for no reason with no warning and were hurting divers.

Have a conversation with your loved ones - make sure they know - your body may not be recovered and you have accepted that responsibility.

I have had this conversation with my wife - and it keeps me on my toes.

No one is stopping anyone from wearing a tracker or shackle yourself to rope and a buoy so your body can't be lost - make it your own personal decision.
But please - keep it to yourself. :D

Mandatory?

There is this gizmo: DiverGuard

I think if you did a search on SB you will find a discussion(s).

Actually, that's a combination of an audible alarm and an automatic BC inflation system - not very well received in most diving circles, no need to rehash that here.

But what might be a useful gizmo is something like this: DiveTracker SCOUT - Desert Star Systems LLC

This is the thing that Dutch Springs (our local quarry) makes you carry if you want to solo dive. That actually makes some degree of sense, since trying to find an overdue diver in a big lake with no idea where they might be is pretty difficult.

As far as "mandatory" goes, apart from the DOT mandating tank hydros, and maybe some local jurisdictions mandating dive flags, I'm not aware of any US government regulations on divers themselves.

Personal Location Beacon can be carried, but of course you have to be alive to activate it.

One thing for sure, they do work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom