Manatee Springs 1-31-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
He's a report for all the would be cavern/cave divers.
You don't know what your missing
Arrived at 10 AM Cost to get into the park $0.00 ( I have a anual pass)
Cost to my dive buddies Pat 1 and Bill Around $22 for the 2 of them.
Did land drills, set up gear , got cold, hit the water at around 12 noon water temp 72 deg. Duck weed every where. Dead Amordillo floating at the surface.
No problem call the ranger and had it removed. Decend down with Rick (cave instuctor) P1(intro) Bill (learning cavern) and myself (intro) P1 had bouyancy problem but got it under control. Rick ,never a problem , Bill needs to practice more. Myself , Felt good everything under control, P1 ran the line into the cavern and tied off at the gold line. Depth around 80 ft. High flow, working hard.
Bill stays at the carven zone and works on bouyancy. Rick stays with him for a few minutes. P1 and I head into the cave P1 leading My first time in and his second. We get about 150' in and I hear bubbles load bubbles. I signal P1 he comes back and I tell him to check my regs. All OK . We continue, We hit the 700' mark and we stop to see if Rick has come in yet. I turn and there's RIcks light. Behind us. We continue for a short distance and I look at SPG and 1/3 rulle comes into play, thumbs up turn the dive. Head back. Depth 90 ft.
We stop and decide to do some skills. We do cut line drill, Entangled diver at line drill. and then head back to exit. On the way we do mask off exit. I did bad here, lost line in high flow in dark cave without mask on. Reteived back up mask found line and exited cave. Did valve drill while doing saftey stop. Good dive all in all. Exited the water to get second tank.
Pat 2 was there waiting. She said she would be. We set up . Rick let P2 borrow a canister Hid light I showed her how to rig it. She's in her doubles now. We did bubble check all ok. We go down to the entrance no skills this dive this is the just for fun and get comfortable dive. Rick leads I'm #2, P2 #3, P1 at the end. I'm on rule of thirds (single lp 112) the others on doubles. I'll call the dive. Strong flow again . Pull and glide as much as I can. We pass the 700' marked, Still good. We hit around 900ft in and 1/3 rules takes over we turn the dive. Drift dive out (that was fun) Hit the exit with me in the lead (man with the least air rule) We stop at around 40 ft I still have 1400 PSI in my tank reset rule of thirds and decide to go into the other cave for a short trip. This one flows out so must pay attenion. Rule of sixths will apply . Get to the entrance and stop check SPG 1000 PSI left. But where is P2? P1 tells us her ears hurt so she stayed up. Time to go back for me anyway. Exit the cavern and there she is hovering at 25 ft. She's Ok I'm down to 500 PSI. Small problem I'm in deco too. Need to do 7 min. I let P2 know and we share air for the deco stop and safty stop. We did good handled all problems well and had fun doing it. Exited water( RICK and P1 still down Haveing fun)
They had to do 27 min deco (next time bring Nitrox) All in all a very good day of diving. Learned alot and had good dive buddies.

Fred

damn, didn't realize that was you.
I was there with DeepSeaWolf. This was my first "post-Cert" dive, and had fun. Sounds like you did too.

That was a blast!!!

I enjoyed the dive immensely. It is amazing how each cave has such a distinct personality of its own! I just wish I could have followed you all on the second leg of the dive – not that I was looking forward to fighting the current anymore… :)

One of these days I will figure out how to get my ears from being such a pain (literally) - I have to say the vertigo was an interesting experience – glad to have a chance to see what it was like under relatively safe circumstances.

I hope to have the chance to dive with y’all again soon!! Maybe this time I will actually get to see what is past the Breakdown Room… :)

StarrySkies:
That was a blast!!!

I enjoyed the dive immensely. It is amazing how each cave has such a distinct personality of its own! I just wish I could have followed you all on the second leg of the dive – not that I was looking forward to fighting the current anymore… :)

One of these days I will figure out how to get my ears from being such a pain (literally) - I have to say the vertigo was an interesting experience – glad to have a chance to see what it was like under relatively safe circumstances.

I hope to have the chance to dive with y’all again soon!! Maybe this time I will actually get to see what is past the Breakdown Room… :)

Hey Pat or P2 as you have now been dubbed. We enjoyed having you. As for your ears you may just need to slow down on the descents and equalize a bit sooner. Reroute those hoses for better streamlining. Fred and I will try to get up to Peacock at the end of the month (maybe we can get P1 there as well LOL) You are more than welcome to come. I'll get you back past the breakdown room even with Fred's Gas supply limits. We can also do the Pot Hole tunnel. I'll be working some guys from Canada on the 13-15 Feb You can join in there as well if you like. Give us a call.

Allright, just called instructor about taking Intro class. Ill be 500ft back with you guys in no time.

Virtigo is a normal everyday thing for me. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride.
Maybe next time we can take the ride together. ROUND AND ROUND SHE GOES WHERE SHE STOPS NOBODY KNOWS. :new_olymp :help:
Fred

We were the two guys trying not to silt everything up! I SERIOUSLY need to work on my breathing! I take a breath and almost pop to the surface! I end up slowly pulling myself along with my fingertips or frog kicking to keep from disturbing the bottom. I feel like a massive jerk when I look behind me and see a cloud of silt. When we were topside, there was a caver waiting for the van keys. He told me to breathe with my diaphragm, not my lungs and to try to relax more. We are headed back this weekend to log more dives! I want to work on my buoyancy skills A LOT!!!!

DEEPSEAWOLF:
We were the two guys trying not to silt everything up! I SERIOUSLY need to work on my breathing! I take a breath and almost pop to the surface! I end up slowly pulling myself along with my fingertips or frog kicking to keep from disturbing the bottom. I feel like a massive jerk when I look behind me and see a cloud of silt. When we were topside, there was a caver waiting for the van keys. He told me to breathe with my diaphragm, not my lungs and to try to relax more. We are headed back this weekend to log more dives! I want to work on my buoyancy skills A LOT!!!!

Small world ain't it. Next time we meet I'll know who you are.
Some day when your ready to do cavern Let me know. I'll introduce you to Rick.
He's good at at what he does. He was still in the water with the key to the van when I was sitting across from you. The bouyancy will come with practice.
Proper weighting helps too. Have fun this weekend.

Fred

DEEPSEAWOLF:

Ah a little silt in the cavern zone only adds to the excitemnt of training. If I gave Fred the keys you would never have talked. Divers are a friendly sort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom