Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watching the video was upsetting. Sad and ANGRY best describes my emotional reaction. I am now glad I haven't taken my family to swim with the manatees and probably will not. Great info listing the more manatee friendly charters.

How would a no touch law deal with a manatee that actively approaches a motionless swimmer and grabs their hand with its front flipper?

Just asking because I watched that happen to my wife on our Birds trip. As recommended by the Bird's captain we were floating completely motionless and watching the manatees and one of them approached my wife and grabbed her hand under its front flipper.

(fortunately Birds got there well before the swarms of flailing idiots so we got to have a peaceful float near the manatees until the boatloads of screaming flailing children with no fins showed up... sigh...)

How would a no touch law deal with a manatee that actively approaches a motionless swimmer and grabs their hand with its front flipper?

Just asking because I watched that happen to my wife on our Birds trip. As recommended by the Bird's captain we were floating completely motionless and watching the manatees and one of them approached my wife and grabbed her hand under its front flipper.

(fortunately Birds got there well before the swarms of flailing idiots so we got to have a peaceful float near the manatees until the boatloads of screaming flailing children with no fins showed up... sigh...)

In light of the comments in this thread and alarms raised elsewhere, I'm wondering if we should be doing any of this "bonding with nature" stuff with the manatees in any form?

Playing with the stingrays is one thing, but a fragile species like the manatees? I really have no wisdom on this but as a diver profoundly concerned about the status of those animals we share space with underwater, I'm rethinking pseudo-recreation activities, like swimming with the manatees, AND trying to maintain a small foot-print ( or fin-print) on the underwater environment.

And just how does one hold one's temper when passively snorkelling with the manatees and all of a sudden have to confront a bunch of kids (and perhaps their parents...who might be bigger than me) exhibiting threatening behavior towards them? How many fights will I actually survive? So, to go there (Crystal River), or NOT to go there, is the question.

Bubbles,

We just returned from Key Largo, and stopped in Crystal River along the way to do a manatee snorkeling tour, it was kind of a last minute add on. I hadn't seen this thread, and for better or worse we ended up at American Pro (I would have avoided them on the basis of this thread alone, but otherwise they present themselves well).

I have no idea whether they have substantially changed their practices, but here's what I observed this past weekend:

On the positive side

- We were required to watch the video on the rules for manatee engagement, and the Capt./Guide stressed that we were not to freedive, period. He went so far as to say if our snorkel was submerged, we were too far down.

- We were told not to encircle the manatees, and to always allow them a way to avoid us

- We were told that we could touch the manatees if they approached us, but that we could only use one hand in a stroking or scratching motion

- The Capt. stressed floating on the surface, being quiet, and making minimum hand and feet movement

- The Capt., upon sighting a manatee, would kill the motor, gently lower an anchor, and then get in the water by himself to determine whether the manatee was interested in any human interaction. He left at least one manatee alone without letting us get in the water.

- The Capt. made us stay away from a nursing mother and calf. He also made use stay away from other manatees that did not approach us.

- The Capt. never attempted to corral or herd the manatees with his boat.

- The Capt. appeared to be very knowledgeable about the manatees and seem to have a genuine appreciation and respect for them

On the negative side:

- We had ten people on our boat, including three children, and one very overweight lady who could not swim at all and struggled to wade through the shallow (neck height) water upright and breath through her snorkel, she would grab and anything close (including other snorkelers) for support. Two of the younger children (8-10) couldn't float and did a lot of thrashing around, the Capt. eventually made them float on life jackets. I felt uncomfortable with that many people being around the manatee, even when the manatee approached the group. I understand that ten is actually a low number and that more people come in the winter.

- The Capt. would swim along side the manatee (but not holding on to it as best I could tell), I was of the understanding that you were supposed to remain stationary and let the manatees come to you.

- I returned to the boat early because I felt that their were too many people around the manatee (their were two other boats in the same spot - another American Pro boat, and one form another operation)

- American Pro also carries divers on the same boats. The divers apparently (their were none on ours, but two were on the other American Pro boat) are left to their own devices. I'm assuming the interaction rules are no different for SCUBA divers, so what's the benefit of using it for this purpose?

- I don't recall any mention of a ten foot hold off from the manatees

We had the most contact with what the Capt. described as a two year old calf that left its nearby mother and approached us. This manatee repeatedly surfaced among our group and would nose up to your face mask and roll belly up for petting. I do see the concern about the animal becoming dependent on human contact.

I am disturbed and disgusted by the actions depicted in the video posted by the OP, but what's not clear to me is how much of what is included is being done by American Pro. Don't get me wrong, I will probably avoid American Pro on any return trips (because of what has been posted on ScubaBoard), I just didn't witness the same behavior from either American Pro employees or other snorkelers. American Pro seems to have a larger number of boats operating and they also seek to generate extra revenue off the sales of DVD recordings of the tours, which probably causes them to go to extra lengths to get their customers on camera with the manatees. I know this is a hostile forum for American Pro, but I would like to see them adequately respond to the issues raised here before I would consider going back out with them.

I did observe numerous other commercial and private boats violating the no wake rules in the area of manatees. I also observed another manatee tour operator following a manatee into (as in blocking the path out) a cove with their boat.

Has anybody ever been cited or fined for the behavior in the OP's video?

I was unprepared for the excitement of interacting with a manatee, I only went along because someone else in the group wanted to to it. However, I came away wanting to do it again. I just want to be sure and do it in a responsible manner and to not support anyone that is operating without the best interests of the manatees. The touch (manatee initiated)/no touch issue is confusing for someone new to the issue.

How many of the manatee tour operators put an employee in the water versus just dumping their customers in unsupervised?

Thanks Backscatter for an excellent post. The reason we bring this message to the public is in the hope that it will alter behavior, by individuals and companies. There can be a great variation of experiences from trip to trip and captain to captain as well as from one company to another. I am encouraged by your “positive side” comments. I hope this is a trend and reflects a real change in attitude.

As you noted there are still many areas of concern even when there is an attempt to follow the rules. Passive observation is the only respectful way to deal with wildlife. Consider that the tour boats were searching the bay for manatees and not that manatees were coming to the swimmers and you see the real flaw of the experience. Do the manatees really want to be with us or do they just make the best of a bad situation?

The only way to know is to be totally passive. There is no need to swim out to a manatee. Simply get is the water some distance away. If the manatee wishes to interact it can easily approach on its own.

Thanks again for posting, These posts do matter.

Keep wildlife wild, please do not touch.

I wouldn't say this is thread is particularly hostile to American Pro, only that they have had many observed infractions of rules. Since they are perhaps the largest and most high profile with their huge operation on Route 19, it stands to reason that they might have more opportunity to break the rules. I have criticized them myself. I also have to say that they have a pretty good dive operation and I've worked with some of their instructions and dive masters. Personally, I still lean towards Bird's for EVERYTHING dive and manatee related and even get my tanks filled there to give them as much business as I can.

To answer the question about SCUBA divers in the water in manatee areas - some manatee tours do take a couple of divers with them. Dives, however, are usually scheduled later in the morning and in the afternoon when the manatees have moved away from the springs. Manatees do not seem to like the bubbles from SCUBA tanks and move away from divers. I have never had a manatee approach me when I was using a tank.

King's Spring is the only area with sufficient depth in the area to conduct training dives for open water divers. It is used extensively in late morning and afternoon for that reason and for vacationers who want to get a dive in. It's really not a great dive but for anyone who has not been around fresh water spring, it's a bit interesting so worth at least one visit.

Manatees don't seem to mind divers using rebreathers but usually that type of gear would only be used by professionals (mostly photogs and videographers) who want to get footage of 'natural' manatee behavoir. Those people generally aren't entering the water with the intent of interacting with the animals, just photographing them, but are often taken up with a curious manatee, some of whom can't seem to resist a camera (I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille!).

So that's my two cents on the diving around CR.

I'd like to see something come of this since when it first came up I called Florida Fish and Wildlife, and few other agencies down there and spoke to district heads and others whose titles I cannot remember. I also called PADI and asked them why this was allowed and were they aware of the actions on the film. And why a supposed 5 star center was getting away with it. I now know it is because of the money they get to print the "Manatee Diver" cards but they would not give me any kind of answer. Fla officials found it noteworthy that they were getting calls from Pittsburgh about this. They took down my name, phone number, and links to this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom