Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is one of my posts from earlier in the thread:

I spoke with Karen Parker US Fish and Wildlife and Caroll Pratt from Florida Fish and Wildlife today. Both returned calls I made to them yesterday. The Feds have been investigating this and continue to but they have less enforcement powers than say the FBI or US Marshalls. Federal law needs an officer to actually witness the incident to take action. Florida may be different. But I was assured that Florida will be looking into this and was even asked if I could be called back for more info. My answer was absolutely. One of the things that is being considered by the feds, my call was not the first one and it seems alot of chains are rattling because of this video and the outrage being expressed, is a ban on Manatee interaction. Currently if they initiate contact humans can reciprocate. However the actions of these individuals and operators may make it so that if the Manatee approach one must back off and not touch them at all. I told both ladies I supported this action. These may be gentle, docile animals but they are still wild animals. Humans have no business touching them if it means *******s like American Pro and others are going to take that little bit of freedom and turn it into outright harrassment. Thanks alot Ron and those of your ilk, you pieces of crap, from those of us who respect the law and the animals. May you rot in the lowest depths of hades. Was also informed that unedited video has been sent to PADI.

This is beyond wrong.... its sick and disgusting...

One thing I was thinking about is these places thay "guarantee" a manatee encounter. That alone should be illegal. In a business sense that puts more stress to make sure they touch something. If not they are going to have a boat load of pissed off people wanting money back cause the manatees didn't want to come see them. So saying that the DM will do anything to bring a mantee to the people.

anther thing I think manatee "tours" should also be illegal. Or regulate them to something else besides having a boat load of people jumping of a boat to see this animal. Maybe if they want to go out on a glass bottom boat but they must stay out of the water. If it happens on accident by someone scalloping or something thats different. Being able to see a manatee should be a privalage and not abused.

Are manatees protected in Florida? If so, an environmentally controlled encounter would be appropriate, something like traveling to a nature preserve. It would be more educationally driven, not so much a commercial venture that violates rules of contact and sanctuary boundaries.

I also deplore this practice. But I also deplore deliberate shark chumming, and anything else that changes the behaviour or feeding practices of wild animals, especially potentially dangerous ones. I've been forced to surface with a student near to sharks in a man-induced feeding frenzy, and it's not a nice feeling.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

ScubaBoard does not tolerate, condone or encourage threats of any kind.

Posts threatening individuals with bodily harm have been removed and the offending poster has been banned from this thread. Further action may be taken.

The thread will be re-opened when final decisions have been made.

Thanks for your patience and we beg your forgiveness for temporarily disrupting this discussion.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread is again open.

Please: no threats or hints of threats.

Do NOT take the law into your own hands!

To report an injured, dead, harassed or orphaned Manatee
Call: 1-888-404-FWCC (3922)
Cellular phone *FWC or #FWC

Please refer to this document: Florida's Manatee Management Plan

There is current controversy about the level of interaction that should be afforded manatees and those who want to swim with them.

There is also controversy surrounding the video and who is in it.

Thank you NetDoc for reopening the thread. Thanks to so many of you who have responded in the best way possible. Economic pressure and voicing your concern by making phone calls to U.S. Fish and Wildlife. Physical threats don't help and put us on the fringe of usefull discourse.

Your comments, letters, and calls have made a difference. Finally, the sale of Three Sisters Spring is almost complete and we can hope that this critical warm water refuge for the manatees will soon be a better protected area where harassment is limited or stopped.

There is much more to do. More education is needed. Tour operators are still breaking rules and still forcing interactions in Crystal Bay. Choose wisely before you book your tour. Do your research.

If you are a school group or a teacher looking to book an educational field trip, watch this video closely and make sure you are not contributing to this sort of "learning experience." The video may be a little long, but it is intentionally uncut and unedited so you can see the way it actually happens.

Well you said the name Anti Pro Divers or something like that...........what happens in public is not protected by privacy laws. You have no right to privacy in public. I heard MIKE , common name in a not so big world, I heard that name at some place I think it was called Anti Pro Divers. If this is such a CONCERN to you, just video tape and document then turn the video over to the enforcement body that deals with such issues. I was real drunk and had taken 20 qualudes but when I visited Crystal River it seemed a joint by the name of Anti Pro Dives had boats like the one in the videos. Who knows, maybe I was in another state brushing my teeth and just imagined such a thing,, well I got no right to privacy in public.....good video, sad that people have to make a living off harassing harmless wild animals.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom