Diveroid - turning your smartphone into a DC and underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The selfie feature is crucial for the intended audience.

Can't wait for the 1 star reviews because there's no way post to TikTok during the dive.

Right, I'm totally in agreement with you, but the main feature of this housing is that it incorporates a 'mini dive computer', so I guess the appeal (for new-ish divers) would be to have a DC / camera in one package.

"New-ish divers" are exactly the kind of divers who shouldn't be task-loading themselves by taking pictures or having other smartphone features available to them.

The other thing it could be is a personal locator beacon. Not a real one obviously, cell service only no satellite, but still pretty useful. Most people who use this will do most of their diving within a coverage area. Being able to just phone the skipper and say “I’m up and okay but I need a pickup; here’s exactly where I am” without initiating an International Rescue Emergency Response like an epirb does would be super nice.

"New-ish divers" are exactly the kind of divers who shouldn't be task-loading themselves by taking pictures or having other smartphone features available to them.
Agreed. Fundamentally, I don't think it's a good idea for divers to grab a camera until their diving skills are on par with such task loading. Unfortunately, I do see a lot of vacation divers with questionable skills filming and taking pictures underwater.
As I've said in an earlier post:
Still, I can see one upside to this.
Over the years, I've seen so many divers (not very experienced ones I would assume) lose focus on crucial parameters of their dive - depth, time, tank pressure, their own buddy - because they were absorbed into their own camera and whatever shot they were taking at the moment. One advantage I can see from such a device is that they would have constant monitoring of their depth & dive time while filming.

Very disappointing device. Was told it works with iPhone 12 max and it has extremely limited functionality with it .switched to Sealife housing which is amazing. Since the mini didn’t work anyway and the only function was barely photo, this is a huge upgrade. Customer service also won’t admit this

DiveNav, is this you?

Personally, I wouldn't take my phone diving with me, too valuable if something happens to it.

I'd just get a go-pro‍.

That’s what I do now.

Some of us also change smartphones every year or two. I unlocked the older one, put a local simcard to it, whenever I’m overseas, like in Indonesia. So, not only, I can use it as local smartphone, but also as a hotspot for my US smartphone.

The older smartphone can be used for this Diveroid. So if something happens to it while diving, you still have your new smartphone above water in a safe place.

Oceanic is coming out with a similar device, the only downside of the Oceanic is that you will need to subscribe to Oceanic+. If you already have an Apple Watch Ultra, one subscription will cover both devices. They are taking deposits for a release this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom