Manatee Abuse and Harassment Caught on Tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Marksm.

I know this is 2 years later, but great video. My daughter, son-in-law and grandsons just moved to this are and I was looking for information about viewing manatees safely. This was perfect.

Is March/April a good time of year to see the manatees?

Captain Carl

I know it has been over 3 years since this thread originally started but I was recently pointed in its direction from another thread. I had started the thread under project AWARE after doing some searching for dive shops in my area so I can look into learning SCUBA. The thread was about American Pro's "Manatee Specialty" certification.

OK, at first I was excited. They advertise a specialty diver certification. I never saw it on PADI's site and decided to ask on here. I am very glad I was pointed to this thread. Now after reading the whole thread and watching the videos I am not interested at all in this "certification" and actually think that if PADI really is issuing a card for it they need to take a closer look at it. Does PADI still approve this? They are issuing a specialty dive certification after a one hour "course" (which is just a tourist trip to harass the manatees!) that can then even be applied to master diver status??!!!

I think if PADI and Project AWARE really want a manatee cert it should be done with a lot more knowledge about manatees and their habitats and most importantly the protection and awareness of them. I think Project AWARE is great and think that manatee specialty could be done very well and fit in well to the program, unfortunately this is not the way to do it. I would love to get more involved with AWARE once I get certified. Maybe one day they can shut down this tourist tour sham and create a real certification.

I think tourist viewing of manatees is bad all around. It only really serves the people selling it. A true manatee tour should be a lot more educational and learning and not just a profitable sham. It kills me seeing these beautiful animals treated this way. I have had the opportunity to see manatees in the wild and will never forget it, but it was a true encounter, not something I paid to do, not something with people bothering them, just them in the water. Then again this was almost 20 years ago now.

I wanted to bump this thread because I think it is important and hate to see it die off. It might be over three years since it started and almost a year since anyone posted but it doesn't mean it is lost! Long live the manatees! I hope to be able to enjoy seeing them in our waters for years to come.

I never saw this thread, but I did dive (snorkel) with the Manatees using American Pro in December. I believe they have been under new ownership since this thread started. I am not certain, but if I am right; it would be a shame to use information from a three year old thread to hurt the business of a new company. Maybe someone local can confirm.

Their Manatee certification is about a 1/2 hour (to 45 minutes) and in a classroom environment. No diving is required. While somewhat of a gimmick, it was for an official PADI Specialty card (my first specialty card); but, it was very educational. I am glad I took it, and I did learn a lot (manatees are closely related to elephants and it's not boats' propellers that are hurting them as much as the boat actually crushing their ribs).

American Pro was very adamant about not harassing the manatees and staying away from the roped off protected zones. If I hadn’t seen this thread, I would’ve said American Pro was a very good outfit who ensured no harassment and protected the manatees. But then again, this thread is three years old and (like I said) American Pro may be a whole different company.

It is hard to believe this thread keeps getting revived as if a few instances of bad behavior three years ago is happening constantly. Time to put it to a stop.

I have been doing the manatee snorkel trips for well over 10 years. It is an annual sort pilgramage for my wife and I and we usually do 4 trips a year.

The video was disturbing, no doubt, but let us all remember that the video is a compilation of clips, and some clips even supplied by others. With the number of people visting each year it is not hard to put together a dozen instances of bad behavior, but it gives a way exaggerated, out of proportion, view of the situation.

This nonsense about people "hurting" these "delicate creatures" needs to stop. For the record -- no manatee has been documented to have suffered injury or death due to the snorkelers -- not one. The primary killers of manatees are motor boats traveling at high speed (or, extremely cold winter weather that can actually cause them to die of hypothermia). So, let's be real, please.

It is true that people can go over the top and actually disturb or bother the manatees. However, for the 40 or so trips that I have made, I have observed the following:

The operator I prefer (Birds) has, always, shown the video about how to behave around the manatees. More important, the captains and shop owner also verbally explain just how important it is to float in stillness, with hands folded and feet still. They demonstrate this in the shop.

Wetsuits are mandatory because they assure the people will float and not have to flail. they take kids only if they feel the kids are capable enough in the water, and if the parents supervise. No madly flailing groups of unsupervised kids. The captains are also on top of the group and do not hesitate to intervene if people violate the rules, or even if they just think there are too many people around a manatee.

In 40 trips, I have seen very few instances where anyone in our group actually caused a manatee to swim away. I cannot say the same about other operators. The worst behavior I have seen is from the "do it yourselfers" who rent pontoon boats go on their own. Still, the manatees are thriving in King's Bay.

As for one poster's notion that manatees are "forced" into a "dependent" relationship with people -- what are you smoking??

I can tell you this as a fact -- many manatees like, yes, like, interacting with humans. They are gentle and naturally curious. The approach freely. There is no need to chase them. They do like the occasional scratch and will signal if they want one by rolling over. They do grab you with their flippers. They do this freely. They are not fed. They are not forced. They do not "need" it and are not "dependent" on it. They are in a situation where humans are not their predators and so they do not fear humans in the water. Their curiousity and natural playfullness can then kick in instead of fear. Over the years the Crystal River manatees may have learned that they enjoy the "human encounters" and so seek them out more than manatees in other areas that do not have the same level of exposure. I don't know and I guess no one does, but to depict the encounters as some sort of imposition on the manatees is just WRONG.

It is this chance, to have a mutually positive interaction with a wild, intelligent species, that makes the manatee encounters completely unforgettable. It is one of the most unique experiences on the planet. I have seen, many times, people in overwhelmed by emotion afterwards.

Does anyone really think that stopping this is going to help the manatees' cause?

They also know where their sanctuary boundaries are. If they have had enough interaction, they swim there and can stay in peace. Or, they just move on. King's Bay is a large area and they can outswim a person easily, using no energy at all.

By the way, as the manatee encounters have grown in popularity, so has the manatee population. The encounters, in themselves, obviously do not harm or endanger the species. What does happen is that, when the marine industry starts its never-ending efforts to cut back or abolish manatee no-wake zones, the thousands of people who have a direct knowledge of and emotional connection with these animals turn out to hold the line.

Bird is a well known diver from around the time of the cooling of the Earth. He was one of the orginal mappers of the Peacock Springs system so his cave diving experience pre dates most SB posters lifetimes.

Comparing Birds and the other outfits is apples to anvils.

I have had manatee's swim up to me on my kayak.. these are wild manatees with very little to no human contact. Just like a horse, or a dog or cow if you hold still it will walk over to check you out.

Really bad reputations are hard to shake.. and they should be. A single bad deed should take 100 good deeds to make things right.

Really bad reputations are hard to shake.. and they should be. A single bad deed should take 100 good deeds to make things right.

I disagree with this good always over rides bad 2 to 1 if not more. A single good thought always over rides at least 2 bad thoughts and you get some change if I remember correctly. No doubt this transfers to deeds too.

That was me surfing the manatee in the video by the way he told me it was ok really. I speak manatee didnt I tell you guys before we jumped in the water. He was A ok with me surfing him but he dosent like you that much by the way.

Just in case any one is as much of D bag as the guy in the video that was sarcasum so dont get your panties in a wad.

Odlly though I have had my feet on a manatee when I was a kid swimming in the inter coastal a manatee came up and checked me out gave my toes a nibble and then used my feet as a scratching post and swam away. Scared the shiz out of me untill later when he came up about 7 feet way for air and i figured out what it was. Thought I was going to end up like the girl in jaws. :shocked2:

I do hope that changes were made, people can change and I hope that they do use better practice. I appreciate the update since I have not followed it all these years. I am not trying to stop manatee encounters, just make them more regulated. I am not trying to bash any certain companies, just find out more information about their practices. Thanks to those who have responded, sorry I revived a thread some wish was put to sleep, but I think it is good to update people on what is going on otherwise the only information they can find is the old outdated inaccurate information. Better to revive and update than live with bad news that could hurt those who have changed... am I correct?

I am posting this video which just won the 2008 Our World Underwater Wetpixel/Divephotoguide Film Competition. It is an important message to share with your fellow divers and those who want to dive or snorkel with manatees in Crystal River.

OK. I watched it. What I see in it is mostly Manatees just swimming about. I did see a couple of situations in which swimmers tried to "handle" Manatees despite the fact that the animals didn't want the attention. Those individuals need to be counseled regarding that behavior.

But, I don't see anything in this video that I'd characterize as "sick". The people who see it in this light are most likely the same ones that think all of us need to sign on to "save the planet", the global warming crowd. These people are the ones I'd characterize as "sick".

Wake up, people! Get a clue, and preferably not from CNN (Communist News Network).

I have spent may trips to the Apollo Beach area where the manatees are numerous, many with calves. I feel that if a manatee has a calf that there should be no approach, especially the calves. I get dive certified on the 12th of August. My question is: Do the basic divers courses mention anything about wildlife etiquette while you are 1st learning to dive? I guess I will find out in a couple weeks, if not, maybe that is something that could be added to the training for maybe a half hour block. It is a NAUI course.

I have spent may trips to the Apollo Beach area where the manatees are numerous, many with calves. I feel that if a manatee has a calf that there should be no approach, especially the calves. I get dive certified on the 12th of August. My question is: Do the basic divers courses mention anything about wildlife etiquette while you are 1st learning to dive? I guess I will find out in a couple weeks, if not, maybe that is something that could be added to the training for maybe a half hour block. It is a NAUI course.

I didn't get any from the Instructor, but was diving off a boat and since a lot of us were novices to the area, the DM gave a quick one for us (Group from Jax, FL diving in the Keys).

Best bet is to ask the Instructor about it. My rule of thumb is to just watch and observe less they initiate the contact/play.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom