Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Dont' like either program

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Never saw either

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bear summited Everest at the Age of 23. He broke his back in a parachuting accident only a few years ago. He lives on a freakin' barge. He drank the liquid from elephent dung and eats fish straight from the water. He is physically in better shape and I would guess he could dominate Les in a bare knuckle brawl. What I'm trying to say is, Bear is a badazz.

Also, in the recent African Des episode, Les was able to use many parts of a rather large vehicle and brought a massive amount of water with him. Talk about staged.

They both have staged aspects to them, these are television shows for god sake.

Man vs. Wild does for me what I want when I watch tv, it entertains me. Survivorman bores me at times.

fndmylove:
Also, in the recent African Des episode, Les was able to use many parts of a rather large vehicle and brought a massive amount of water with him. Talk about staged.

How is that staged? The whole premise was that he was driving in the desert (which people do) and broke down. It would be more unrealistic to just drop him off in the middle of the desert with only the clothes on his back.

Bear is a fake. That much is clear.

On the other hand, gotta' disagree with the "Les is the real deal" crowd, too. While he does seem to know a bit about survival, he also has a new "wild animals are going to kill me if I'm not careful" comment every week. I am just waiting for the day when he runs out of options and starts talking about how he has to be very careful not to tip off the killer squrrels in the north woods that he is here. :dork2:

Sorry...I am a bit of a survival junkie, and I can't stomach either of these shows. Wish they would put someone on who shares my distaste for the sensationalism...

cancun mark:
I was once given a Canadian Emergency locator beacon: A pack of cards, that came with the instructions that in the event you get lost, sit down and start playing solitare and before you know it someone will lean over your shoulder and tell you to put the black jack on the red queen.

I like it!

Regardless of the pitfalls in both programs they are entertaining and informative for those of us that enjoy being in the wilds! :D

I just watched the Amazon Jungle edition of "Suvivorman" last night. I liked it right up to the point that Les started talking about Jaguars being man-eaters. There are no recorded cases of Jaguars killing and eating men. There are only two cases of Jaguars attacking men, and thats only after they had been shot with rifles. Noted Jaguar biologist Alan Rabinowitz spent many nights by himself tracking jaguars acoustically in the jungle, and never had one so much as growl at him.

DavidPT40:
I just watched the Amazon Jungle edition of "Suvivorman" last night. I liked it right up to the point that Les started talking about Jaguars being man-eaters. There are no recorded cases of Jaguars killing and eating men. There are only two cases of Jaguars attacking men, and thats only after they had been shot with rifles. Noted Jaguar biologist Alan Rabinowitz spent many nights by himself tracking jaguars acoustically in the jungle, and never had one so much as growl at him.

That's my point. Throughout the series, I have seen him petrified of sharks, bears, wolves, coyotes, jaguars.....just waiting for him to talk about proper use of the Holy Hand Grenade in the event you come face to face with the Killer Rabbit. :shakehead:

DavidPT40:

Yet one followed him all the way to that camp or whatever he was at...I'm sure that if you were in the middle of the jungle and saw a jaguar, you'd probably be a little perturbed.

Soggy:
Yet one followed him all the way to that camp or whatever he was at...I'm sure that if you were in the middle of the jungle and saw a jaguar, you'd probably be a little perturbed.

Yessirrieeeee.....and while we're at it, watch out for them killer damsel fish....

DavidPT40:

On a recent drift dive the boat lost site of my flag and when I surfaced I was all alone for about 15 minutes (my buddy had already come up and been picked up by the boat so yes, technically I was breaking the rules but it had been cleared with the capt ahead of time). But even though I know statistically shark attacks on scuba divers are rare, it's not much comfort while bobbing up and down in the Atlantic and wondering if I might be spending the night out there. In the end it was a non-issue but my point is your mind can be your own worst enemy. Jaguers live in the jungle and so do most of the people they would potentially eat. You have to wonder if any attacks would be recorded at all given the areas where the attcks would happen. If I were in the jungle and being followed by a jaguar the research would be of little comfort. That said, I could be way off base because I know nothing about jaguars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom