Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Dont' like either program

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Never saw either

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grayeagle:
they both must be fakes then. it has been reported that survivorman has staid in hotels and not in the wild the whole time. the producers even admited it.

It was Bear not Les. click here

Survivorman. Hands down. Refering to the episode that Soggy brought up about him diving over the waterfall it was laughable. He spent who knows how long tying leaves together and filing down a rock so he could find out how deep the water was at the bottom of the waterfall. Meanwhile he could have just walked upriver and found a place to cross. Plus, trees and debris go over waterfalls all of the time, just because you throw a rock in the water and it doesn't hit anything doesn't mean you aren't about to skewer yourself on a tree limb that your "depth finder" just missed. The one thing that Les always stresses is conserving your energy and not breaking a sweat in cold weather, everything Bear does is hyper fast as he runs from one spot to another buring unnecassary calories. That guy couldn't survive boy scout camp.

krawdady:
Survivorman. Hands down. Refering to the episode that Soggy brought up about him diving over the waterfall it was laughable. He spent who knows how long tying leaves together and filing down a rock so he could find out how deep the water was at the bottom of the waterfall. Meanwhile he could have just walked upriver and found a place to cross. Plus, trees and debris go over waterfalls all of the time, just because you throw a rock in the water and it doesn't hit anything doesn't mean you aren't about to skewer yourself on a tree limb that your "depth finder" just missed. The one thing that Les always stresses is conserving your energy and not breaking a sweat in cold weather, everything Bear does is hyper fast as he runs from one spot to another buring unnecassary calories. That guy couldn't survive boy scout camp.

Proof that he is a fraud

Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

O2BBubbleFree:
and in case you missed it the first time:

So, northern diver, what do you really thinK? :)

I think I can drink my own piss when I am really thirsty, because I seen it on T.V....:popcorn:

02Bubblefree: why do you have a picture of me as your avatar.....:wink:

northen diver:
02Bubblefree: why do you have a picture of me as your avatar.....:wink:

You didn't know you were on camera when you first found out you can't believe everything you see on TV?

Man vs. Wild bothers me because the show gives bad advice that might get you killed in a survival situation. It is irresponsible. I fear that people watch that idiot and think he is doing what they should do in a similar situation. In one episode he jumps into a ripidly flowing river because it is the fastest means of transportation. In another he decides to go swimming in artic water. I used to like watching just to see what ridiculous **** Bear would do. Survivor man is careful not to give bad advice, but his show can be a little boring. Whenever Les does something that might not be the smartest thing to do just to make the show more entertaining, he points out that he is doing the wrong thing.

jefffalcone:
Man vs. Wild bothers me because the show gives bad advice that might get you killed in a survival situation.
In one episode he jumps into a ripidly flowing river because it is the fastest means of transportation.
In another he decides to go swimming in artic water.
Survivor man is careful not to give bad advice, but his show can be a little boring. Whenever Les does something that might not be the smartest thing to do just to make the show more entertaining, he points out that he is doing the wrong thing.

OK, first off, both shows are on the air to entertain – not really to educate to any great degree.

Bear does some crazy stuff for the entrainment/shock factor first and education second. (They both do) When Bear jumps into a artic lake or freezing river he always preferences by stating, “I don’t recommend this but if you find yourself in a life or death situation, I’ll demonstrate how to get out of this situation. Or “In a life threatening situation you may have too…”. He never says jump into this frozen lake if you want to cool down or drink this elephant dung if feel like a nice refreshing drink.

Les did a show where he was in the Kalahari and he knew he was going to be stranded so he decided it was a smart thing to completely disable his Land Rover, work during the day, build a fire then wait until he was completely out of water before deciding to walk to safety.

Both shows can be picked apart, criticized and mocked. The one thing that gets me to tune into both is I might learn something, one way or the other.

Dave

O2BBubbleFree:
If there is any chance someone will come looking for you, STAY PUT.

:wink:

I was once given a Canadian Emergency locator beacon: A pack of cards, that came with the instructions that in the event you get lost, sit down and start playing solitare and before you know it someone will lean over your shoulder and tell you to put the black jack on the red queen.

I like Survivorman much better though there are times when it does get a bit dull but then again if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere things might get a bit dull. So many of the things I've seen on Man vs. Wild are obviously staged because of the camera angles. With Bear everything seems to be a game and he has a no worries attitude. Les at least at times admits that he is miserable and not having the time of his life.

I agree both shows are for entertainment. But I think Les might actually show me something I might need. I'm not into making 80 ft jumps into white water.

Back
Top Bottom