Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Dont' like either program

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Never saw either

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While Les is whining about having to pack and place his cameras, Bear is squeezing drinking water out of elephant dung...

So what if some of Bear's stuff was staged. Do you think Les would refrain from editing or retaking footage, especially since he's the only one who would know? And I'm sure he has a way of calling in the cavalry if something went south.

O2BBubbleFree:
While Les is whining about having to pack and place his cameras, Bear is squeezing drinking water out of elephant dung...

...while his camera crew watches with an ambulance on call....

So what if some of Bear's stuff was staged.

Staged is hardly the right word for it. Deceiving the audience is more like it. Meanwhile, he's pulling idiotic stunts like jumping off 80 ft cliffs into a white water river that's 40 degrees and explaining it away like it's the right thing to do if in a survival situation.

Do you think Les would refrain from editing or retaking footage, especially since he's the only one who would know? And I'm sure he has a way of calling in the cavalry if something went south.

I'm sure there is editing and I have no doubt that amongst his camera gear is a satellite phone, but the fact is, Les is out there, alone, getting it done without acting like an idiot and further endangering his own life.

Bear = melodramatic liar
Les = Real deal

Soggy:
Man vs Wild His advice and techniques include possibly the worst things you could ever do when put into the situations that he's pretending to be in.

Have you completed the training and been subjected his level of real life survival experience....?? If you have could you point out which techniques and things as you call them which are so bad....please we all could learn from your knowledge.

While I might not have Les' or Bear's )or Soggy's) experience, one thing I do know after many years with the Boy Scouts and about five years with mountain SAR teams...

If there is any chance someone will come looking for you, STAY PUT.

But that would make a pretty boring show. :wink:

O2BBubbleFree:
While I might not have Les' or Bear's )or Soggy's) experience, one thing I do know after many years with the Boy Scouts and about five years with mountain SAR teams...

If there is any chance someone will come looking for you, STAY PUT.

But that would make a pretty boring show. :wink:

This good advice. In the mountains behind my home, hikers get lost and sometime the ending is tragic. They almost always find the spot they camped but the hiker had left. If it was me, I'd build a huge fire, lots of smoke and wait it out. Probably get a fine for the fire, but fine, a least I'd be alaive to pay it!

Just remember folks, they are both just TV shows, made for our entertainment!

Dave

Teamcasa:
... I'd build a huge fire, lots of smoke and wait it out. Probably get a fine for the fire, but fine, a least I'd be alaive to pay it!

Just remember folks, they are both just TV shows, made for our entertainment!

Dave

One of the guys that was on my Alpine SAR team always said, "If I get lost, look for the biggest tree in the woods, ON FIRE, and I won't be far away."

^^^^^ :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Dave

There is on aspect about Bear Grylls show I do not like. Its the extreme closeups and shakiness of the camera when Grylls is supposedly going on rough or hazardous terrain.

For example: Grylls was walking on the lava fields of Hawaii. He was on a safe, solid path when he decided to start walking on the semi-molten parts. The cameraman starts shaking the camera around so much and zooming for extreme closeups that it looked like The Blair Witch Project. Yeah we get it Bear, you're supposedly jumping around molten lava. Each episode has a part like that, and its purely theatrical. There are no life-saving tips in what he is doing (jumping around lava, climbing down a waterfall, swimming under a submerged brush pile, climbing through tunnels in a glacier), and it is so staged that I find it insulting.

I'm not saying Bear is a liar, but he just might be. He tried to fudge a para-glider world record. He claimed to have flown a para-glider higher than anyone else in the world, but when he landed, it was shown that his altimeter has froze up halfway into the flight. So how would have known how high he went?

Survivorman is much better.

texdiveguy:
Have you completed the training and been subjected his level of real life survival experience....?? If you have could you point out which techniques and things as you call them which are so bad....please we all could learn from your knowledge.

The one that caught my attention was when Bear recommended (and supposedly did) drink his own urine which goes against what Les said in his Kalahari episode (and consistent with what I was taught) although clearly there are differing camps on whether one should or should not do this.

Kimberly, Australia
World Premiere Friday, July 6, 9 p.m. ET/PT

More than 5 million visitors come to Australia’s outback every year -- but hundreds need rescuing in this land of extreme heat, snake bites and cyclones. Host Bear Grylls travels to Australia’s Kimberly region, which is roughly the size of California and a mixture of huge scrub deserts, dry riverbeds and red sandstone cliffs full of deep gorges. Bear puts himself in the position of a lost tourist to demonstrate how to prevent sunstroke, find bush tucker and explain why drinking your own urine could save your life. He also identifies what you can eat in the outback. During his journey, Bear builds a shelter in the middle of a lightning storm and confronts Australia's deadly saltwater crocodiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom