Man murdered during robbery attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a shooting at AKR? I didn't know about that. Recently?

Exactly how this stuff gets going.

This incident had been percolating for quite a while, when...
Over a year ago, on the main island road, at the entrance to AKR, the guards got into it with some local morons.
All parties were known to each other from previous negative encounters.
In the long run, the bad guys came out on the short end of this simmering personal issue.

On April 3 at 10:20pm four robbers with guns attempted to enter Anthony's Key, a Sandy Bay dive resort, assumed to be motivated by personal revenge and robbery. The assailants were confronted at the main entrance by the resorts' security guards and a shoot-out ensued. Henaro Salinas, 24, AKR security guard was shot dead and another security guard was wounded. The attackers fled.

One of the attackers was shot in the incident and treated the following day at the Roatan public hospital. Police were able to follow up on the suspect and arrest the four attackers. They had moved to Roatan from the coast less than a year before.

I don't frequent the Bay Islands forum but am in trip planning mode and someone mentioned Roatan. I stumbled upon the comment and had never heard about this incident and was surprised to see the comment. Thanks for the explanation

Last edited:
I was referring to "shorthand statements" that sometimes get further clouded by word choices that might be less than precise.

"At" versus "on the main road near the entrance to" have drastically different meanings.

It is hard enough to convey information in person, much less through the internet.

Here, in this new age medium, once something gets rolling, the truth (and relevance) are quickly lost by the sensationalistic nature of the first few words.

I did not say you "started something", no~ I said "This is exactly how this stuff gets going". (I was referring to DocIndyDiver's post which generated your follow-up. He read my answer and threw me a "thanks")

Here's how that comment I made pertains to this type of internet thread:

In this matter, 100x more people will remember the phrase "Shooting at AKR", instead of remembering (or even bothering to read) the news report that I went and found on the internet through Google. I remembered the incident well, I just wanted an independent version of it.

...If by "this is how it starts" you mean people strat discussiing places based upon facts...

Therein lies the stumbling point.

Draw the distinction between blindly defending or being excessively defensive about dive destination as compared to printing a lengthy, hopefully reliable story that relates the true incident.

If it came through that way, sorry all over the place, but for these people to make a living isn't hard enough without having to deal with misunderstandings.

I have never been very positive on the internet about full time residence on Roatan (or any other poor country). I believe it is ill advised for most. Here is a good example.

But it has nothing to do with a quiet vacation week at a well secured resort.

But it sure sounded that way, didn't it?

Last edited:
And, since I have "started" something, I'll try and finish it. AND I will Make a few Simple points

I don't know that the recent murder of a North American, Tragic Yes, But stoppng at a dark vacant house at night alone after celebtating has been ill advised for some time a recent shootout in front of AKR, That was NOT Recent political instability, roadblocks, curfews, an AIDS epidemic, a very high incidence of malaria and dengue and the high overall crime rate would keep me from going to Roatan, Are these thing a surprise to anyone visiting a third world country?? Why are so many intrigued with low cost vacations but then offended when they realize they may not be first world? Will you plan on sleeping around? Will you not use bug repellant, will you not take precautions? or that the killing of some drug dealers would keep me from going to Cozumel or the Holloway incident would keep me from going to Aruba (it wasn't Bonaire).

I have a Home on Roatan and live among some of the most trustworthy people I have ever known. Many who hate as much as you and I the negative stuff. It is not a conspiracy thing. There are great places and great people and those I honestly trust with my and my wifes well being, I cannot imagine where we would be had we not discovered this place and I also cannot imagine what we would do if something were to change our opinions of living here. Sure, there are bad things and bad people , if you live somewhere that there are not then so be it, until then everyone should be openminded.
Remember, we can all look at stats and make them mean what we want, Roatan is far from perfect but we all Know that PICKLES are one of the largest causes of death today Proof That Pickles Are Bad For You

Christ, how quickly raw nerves were exposed you wouldn't be making anybody wonder if there was a reason for the sensitivity would you?

How quick a jump is it from when an incident happens such as it did and the rationalization is "Hey, if you live here full time you should expect to get shot once in a while" to when an incident happens at a resort to the rationalization of "Hey, if you come to a resort in a 3rd world country you should expect to get shot once in awhile."

RoatanMan;

Sorry if I read too much into the comment and/or overreacted. Sometimes that happens, especially for me when I am having a frustrating day and would rather be diving. I'll edit my response.

How quick a jump is it...

Like I said, electrons don't lend themselves to accurate expression. :eyebrow:

when I am having a frustrating day and would rather be diving.

Why is today different than any other day at work? Looking at the Island Theme Screen Saver just aint makin' it.

We all work like animals just to pay for the illusion of paradise for 7 days. It is a more reasonable pursuit than working a lifetime with the illusion of retirement in paradise.

How quick a jump is it from when an incident happens such as it did and the rationalization is "Hey, if you live here full time you should expect to get shot once in a while" to when an incident happens at a resort to the rationalization of "Hey, if you come to a resort in a 3rd world country you should expect to get shot once in awhile."

Please elaborate and explain how you came up with these assumptions. i have not read anything in this thread to support your thoughts here.

Back
Top Bottom