Maldives: staying on the inhabited islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had visited three local islands (Maafushi, Rasdhoo and Dhangethi) and did some diving there.
You may see my photos and welcome to ask me any questions.

2017 Maafushi:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi again

2015 Maafushi:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi local island

Rasdhoo:
Diving Around Local Island Rasdhoo Photos

Dhangethi:
Diving around local island Dhangethi photos (with whaleshark & manta)

Thanks for the info and great pics! Definately helping me feel more positive about visiting. We’ve decided we’ll probably visit both Maldives and North Sulawesi during our next 2 trips to Asia but not sure which we’ll do first :)

I've been to both though in Maldives I was doing liveaboard diving.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in Maldives (I've been 3 times) and I'm returning to North Sulawesi for my third time this March. IMO, you've made a good choice to do both. There's a garbage problem in North Sulawesi though, so hope you're aware of that.

I've been to both though in Maldives I was doing liveaboard diving.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in Maldives (I've been 3 times) and I'm returning to North Sulawesi for my third time this March. IMO, you've made a good choice to do both. There's a garbage problem in North Sulawesi though, so hope you're aware of that.

Thank you. And yes I was aware of a garbage issue in North Sulawesi but thought it affected mainly the Lembeh Strait although I had heard it can affect the area around Bangka Island as well.

I had visited three local islands (Maafushi, Rasdhoo and Dhangethi) and did some diving there.
You may see my photos and welcome to ask me any questions.

2017 Maafushi:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi again

2015 Maafushi:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi local island

Rasdhoo:
Diving Around Local Island Rasdhoo Photos

Dhangethi:
Diving around local island Dhangethi photos (with whaleshark & manta)

Hi @travelem Do you have a favourite out of those islands and do you think any of them would be more suitable with young children? How’s the snorkelling off the beaches?

Last edited:
I did snorkeling on Maafushi, it is very suitable for non-swimmer or children to snorkel. But Maafushi is the most popular or crowded local island. Because Maafushi is the most easy to get to. Besides, daily ferry except Friday. ICOM also runs speedboat transfer a few times everyday.
iCom Tours

ICOM also offers a lot of low-price day tours:
iCom Tours

Rasdhoo is a lot less crowded and still nice to snorkel there.

I plan to visit Fulidhoo next year.

You may see lots of Fulidhoo photos and videos from fulidhoo dive facebook:
Fulidhoo Dive

Thank you. And yes I was aware of a garbage issue in North Sulawesi but thought it affected mainly the Lembeh Strait although I had heard it can affect the area around Bangka Island as well.
I did notice a lot more garbage in the water when I was diving Lembeh. I've never particularly noticed at Bangka but at Bunaken, there were a couple of sites that were terrible. I had started to pick trash out of the water column but eventually realized why the dive guide was looking at me funny. A true shame that should make each of us re-evaluate our own personal usage of plastics and packaging.

I did notice a lot more garbage in the water when I was diving Lembeh. I've never particularly noticed at Bangka but at Bunaken, there were a couple of sites that were terrible. I had started to pick trash out of the water column but eventually realized why the dive guide was looking at me funny. A true shame that should make each of us re-evaluate our own personal usage of plastics and packaging.

I understand that muck diving in accumulated garbage in parts of Indonesia is a special interest to some divers. I was invited to join some dives by locals on a recent trip there. Apparently the muck attracts lots of unusual critters hard to see elsewhere.

Not my thing, but to each their own …

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of Muck. AFAIK the term was coined in Milne Bay PNG due to the mucky substrate not garbage. Milne Bay muck diving is a very different animal to Lembeh Muck Diving - straight out garbage diving would be Ambon.

Depends on your definition of Muck. AFAIK the term was coined in Milne Bay PNG due to the mucky substrate not garbage. Milne Bay muck diving is a very different animal to Lembeh Muck Diving - straight out garbage diving would be Ambon.

This was accumulated garbage around harbours and piers. And "Muck Diving" was the term they used, though it may obviously have other meanings to others …

Like I said, not my thing

I dived with Maldives Passions dive shop on Maafushi.
It is a very nice and professional dive shop:
Maldives Passions (Maafushi Island): Top Tips Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Maldives Passion dive rates:
5 dives package (tank & weight only): 190 US$
5 dives package (including equipment except wet suit & computer): 235 US$
10 dives package (tank & weight only): 365 US$
10 dives package (including equipment except wet suit & computer): 450 US$
15 dives package (tank & weight only): 515 US$
15 dives package (including equipment except wet suit & computer): 640 US$

(Unlike resort, there is no extra dive boat fees)

Back
Top Bottom