Maldives: staying on the inhabited islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that muck diving in accumulated garbage in parts of Indonesia is a special interest to some divers. I was invited to join some dives by locals on a recent trip there. Apparently the muck attracts lots of unusual critters hard to see elsewhere.

Not my thing, but to each their own …

Muck diving is so called due to the seafloor in those areas. I don't believe the unusual creatures come because of the garbage but they'll make use of it.

We just stayed on Fulidhoo for 8 nights in January and it was wonderful. We booked everything through Fulidhoo dive and they were amazing at arranging all the details for us, of the diving , transport from the airport and our stay at Kinan retreat guesthouse.
The dives were fantastic and Ali who runs the dive shop with his wife is very professional, the boats is small and I don't think we ever had a group of more than 6 so it wasn't crowded. He has been diving the area for years and knows it very very well.

Fulidhoo itself was lovely and very quiet as it has a population of less than 500 and perhaps a max 50 people staying at guesthouses on the island. The entire island is very clean and incredibly safe. The beach is small but never very crowded , with beautiful sandy bottom only 6-8ft deep at the deepest for as far as you can swim. There aren't big waves because of it's location on the atoll so it would be good for little kids.

At the time we were there a family of 5 with kids age 5-8 was staying at our guest house , they had been there for a month and the kids seemed to be having an amazing time. They had been there the previous year too so it is very family friendly.

The cost itself was very reasonable and the package we arranged through http://www.fulidhoodive.com/ our 15 dives each, 8 nights stay in the best room, and full breakfast and dinner each day. Lunch at the guesthouse would have been $10US each but there was also a few other guesthouses/cafes to eat at too which were a bit cheaper. There is a ferry but the speed boat to the airport only takes about an hour and costs $50 US each. This was one of the reasons we picked the island. We didn't want an 8 hour ferry or an expensive seaplane trip.

Fulidhoo isn't a luxury place to stay but it's a quiet little piece of paradise. The food is limited because most of it needs to be imported to the island but we didn't go there for the food. I would highly recommend a visit to anyone.

We just stayed on Fulidhoo for 8 nights in January and it was wonderful. We booked everything through Fulidhoo dive and they were amazing at arranging all the details for us, of the diving , transport from the airport and our stay at Kinan retreat guesthouse.
The dives were fantastic and Ali who runs the dive shop with his wife is very professional, the boats is small and I don't think we ever had a group of more than 6 so it wasn't crowded. He has been diving the area for years and knows it very very well.

Fulidhoo itself was lovely and very quiet as it has a population of less than 500 and perhaps a max 50 people staying at guesthouses on the island. The entire island is very clean and incredibly safe. The beach is small but never very crowded , with beautiful sandy bottom only 6-8ft deep at the deepest for as far as you can swim. There aren't big waves because of it's location on the atoll so it would be good for little kids.

At the time we were there a family of 5 with kids age 5-8 was staying at our guest house , they had been there for a month and the kids seemed to be having an amazing time. They had been there the previous year too so it is very family friendly.

The cost itself was very reasonable and the package we arranged through http://www.fulidhoodive.com/ our 15 dives each, 8 nights stay in the best room, and full breakfast and dinner each day. Lunch at the guesthouse would have been $10US each but there was also a few other guesthouses/cafes to eat at too which were a bit cheaper. There is a ferry but the speed boat to the airport only takes about an hour and costs $50 US each. This was one of the reasons we picked the island. We didn't want an 8 hour ferry or an expensive seaplane trip.

Fulidhoo isn't a luxury place to stay but it's a quiet little piece of paradise. The food is limited because most of it needs to be imported to the island but we didn't go there for the food. I would highly recommend a visit to anyone.

Thanks for report.
I will go to Fulidhoo in March.

Just suggesting may be worth keeping an eye on the situation given a state of emergency has been declared due to ongoing political demonstrations - not that Islands other than Male are impacted at the moment but your travel insurance company may just consider the whole country as too much risk.

Back
Top Bottom