Maldives: staying on the inhabited islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFOrb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, we’re looking into next year’s family trip in late July/August (kids will 2 & 5 years old) and have narrowed down on Maldives (& North Sulawesi - posted questions on another thread). We’ll probably have 10-12 nights & the budget's £50-100 p/night (US$65-130) for bed & breakfast (A/C preferred but not essential).

Can anyone suggest an island(s) and/or guesthouse(s) that might be more child friendly in terms of facilities and beach/swimming/snorkelling, and also with great diving on the doorstep (not much to ask I know! :wink:).

My research tells me Ari Atoll would be best. The island I’ve mainly been looking at so far is Dhigurah. However, although it would be fantastic to have the opportunity to see some pelagics, it all seems to be very expensive in terms of transport to the islands from Male (apart from the slow ferry but that's not going to happen) and the diving itself…and I’ve read the food's very expensive and not that good and that the island's dirty. I've also read the house reef ain't up to much, and strewth, I’ve seen a particular guesthouse website offering banana boats rides!! …and whale shark trips that seem to involve a search and then a whole load of boats diverging on one that’s been spotted (pardon the unintentional pun) and hordes of people jumping in with the poor thing while its trying to feed. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve jumped in with a whale shark myself for a quick snorkel but that was a random very lucky sighting during a surface interval, not a ‘hunting party’. Am I just being too negative? Perhaps the negative comments I've read are from people expecting picture postcard perfection?? Can anyone give me a fresh perfective or any other ideas, please?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Last edited:
We have been to Dhigurah island and loved it. We also stayed on a resort the previous year and much preferred the local island. There is no booze , which is fine by us, and the food in Boutique Beach was amazing. Sure there is plastic rubbish and it was probably at it's worst when we were there in May. The whaleshark area , starting just outside the harbour , can be busy with snorkelers , some for certain countries cannot swim.

I'm not sure what the new guesthouses cost and obviously Asian countries such as the Philippines and Indonesia are far better value than the Maldives. But the Maldives are way better for big things than many other areas.

Best fishes

@Hoag Thanks for the link. In fact, Fulidhoo was on my radar also and I've previously spoken to a SB member who runs a dive shop there (I believe that article was written by his wife). I kinda started focussing in on Dhigurah cos of the numbers of dive sites close by (so not away from the family too long) and the reputation of Ari Atoll for top diving. The cheap 3.5 hour journey to Fulidhoo seems more bearable and doable than the 8 hour ferry to Dhigurah though and I'm sure the diving is still spectacular. Either way, if we go to Maldives we're going to have to bite the bullet as far as the cost of diving compared to other parts of the world we've dived, including in Europe! Cheers

@Tippytoes12 Good to hear! How was the house reef? Do you think it would be suitable for snorkelling with my son?
A definite plus for me with the Maldives is the opportunity to see bigger stuff and its also kind of on the way home from Thailand (which we will be visiting first to see my wifes family & friends). Also, its our 10th anniversary year and my wife wants to do something special (without completely breaking the bank). But tbh my hearts not in it right now (Maldives I mean, not the 10th anniversary thing! :wink:) but that maybe because I love SE Asia and I'm worried I may be disappointed with Maldives. Plus, I got the Indo bug in Bali/Lombok in May this year :D

1st world problems eh!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like that island - what are typical daily scuba rates for 2 tanks boat dives? Also, how bad to they rape ya on the food? it looks like paradise

No experience from any guest house island, but you get ripped off in the Maldives. Costs are not on par with the quality of the diving. As an over all experience however, pretty much unique. I’m getting ripped off once again this Christmas. Werner Lau Dive Center on Filitheyo know that I’m in a sh**ty position from a negotiation perspective. And they sure as h*ll are taking advantage of it.

Fun dive rates on local island are around USD$40-60 per dive if you have your own equipment and dive 5 dives or above.

If you don't have your own equipment and dive less than 5 dives, expect to pay 10 - 20% more.

Last edited:
@Hoag Thanks for the link. In fact, Fulidhoo was on my radar also and I've previously spoken to a SB member who runs a dive shop there (I believe that article was written by his wife). I kinda started focussing in on Dhigurah cos of the numbers of dive sites close by (so not away from the family too long) and the reputation of Ari Atoll for top diving. The cheap 3.5 hour journey to Fulidhoo seems more bearable and doable than the 8 hour ferry to Dhigurah though and I'm sure the diving is still spectacular. Either way, if we go to Maldives we're going to have to bite the bullet as far as the cost of diving compared to other parts of the world we've dived, including in Europe! Cheers

@Tippytoes12 Good to hear! How was the house reef? Do you think it would be suitable for snorkelling with my son?
A definite plus for me with the Maldives is the opportunity to see bigger stuff and its also kind of on the way home from Thailand (which we will be visiting first to see my wifes family & friends). Also, its our 10th anniversary year and my wife wants to do something special (without completely breaking the bank). But tbh my hearts not in it right now (Maldives I mean, not the 10th anniversary thing! :wink:) but that maybe because I love SE Asia and I'm worried I may be disappointed with Maldives. Plus, I got the Indo bug in Bali/Lombok in May this year :D

1st world problems eh!! :rolleyes:
When we were there in May the weather was quite wet , so we only dived. Don't know what the house reef s like , but the local sites were wonderful full of colour and with masses of fish. The atmosphere , the diving and the accomodation but most of all the food at Boutique Beach were way better for us than the resort we stayed in the previous year. In fact we are going there for a week next month , before a liveaboard , it's really nice.

Back
Top Bottom