Malaysia! Everyone there post here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all. I am currently in Malaysia on a training exercise. I will have about a week to kill and a buddy and I dive. We cannot do overnight anywhere, and must return to the hotel at the end of the day, so we are somewhat restricted. We are in Kuantan now, but from the looks of it, no dive shops at the beach we are staying. Any help? Where is the closest DS we can go to get rental gear, and where can go for a day trip that is close to Kuantan? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The best diving is on the Islands, not easy for a day trip.

Duta Sands Resort Duta Sands Resort, Kuantan: Malaysia Hotel Reservation
They advertise scuba diving.

DE RHU BEACH RESORT De Rhu Beach Resort, Mukim Sg Karang, Beserah, Kuantan, PAHANG - Malaysia Hotel Review
They also offer PADI dive shop.

If you give them a ring maybe one can help you out. The diving on the Islands is great but not much seems to be done from the mainland.

It might be a long day but if you are committed then a day trip to the Islands should be possible.
Tenggol looks to be the closest but getting ferry's etc might be an issue for a day trip.
However private hire should be possible at a reasonable cost.
Redang is a little further north but better served by ferries, there is normally ferries for the locals that run early and late, if you ask nicely.

Remember BARTER the first price for a foreigner is at least twice the best price. They are not trying to rip you off it is just there way of doing buisness and they enjoy the whole process.

Hope this is of some help.

Hello all. I am currently in Malaysia on a training exercise. I will have about a week to kill and a buddy and I dive. We cannot do overnight anywhere, and must return to the hotel at the end of the day, so we are somewhat restricted. We are in Kuantan now, but from the looks of it, no dive shops at the beach we are staying. Any help? Where is the closest DS we can go to get rental gear, and where can go for a day trip that is close to Kuantan? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tenggol is probably the closest. Tioman is not much further. I don't know Tenggol. If you go to Tioman, you'll have to drive south to either Tanjung Gemuk or Mersing and catch the ferry. The first one from Mersing leaves 07:00 - not sure Tanjung Gemuk. You'll get on the island about 08:30 and should be in the water around 09:00. The last ferry off the island is 16:00. You can squeeze three dives. I'm a little out of touch with prices, but was paying MYR75 per dive with my own kit. PM me if you want more details.

Hi all,

Well, I just saw the last post from Yeti and I'm in sort of his same situation, training in Malaysia, but I'm in KL tough, but as a difference, I'll have a whole week off and I'll be able to move around with no restrictions at all :D

I'm looking for some recomendation for some good scuba in Malaysia or the surroundings, what could you recomend me? I have about 9 days available, looking also to get my advanced certification as well as a good and nice relaxing time.

Thanks for your help guys!!!

Haha, I started this thread 3-1/2 years ago in the Asia forum to see if there might be enough members interested in a new sub-forum; don't think we have specific rules on such then - just winging it at the time. It worked, and of course we have had the sub-forum for a long time - but it's nice to see this thread still serving a purpose.

I really need to come dive there someday...!
bananawhip.gif

Really should start a new thread,
However I would recommend Redang or Perhentian.
If you are looking for a chilled out destination then Perhentian Kercil, Coral Beach. Fantastic place but no night life.
Redang has more resorts, night life, etc. Supposedly better diving but that is not my personal experience.
Tioman is another option.
Search this forum for loads of options.
Hi all,

Well, I just saw the last post from Yeti and I'm in sort of his same situation, training in Malaysia, but I'm in KL tough, but as a difference, I'll have a whole week off and I'll be able to move around with no restrictions at all :D

I'm looking for some recomendation for some good scuba in Malaysia or the surroundings, what could you recomend me? I have about 9 days available, looking also to get my advanced certification as well as a good and nice relaxing time.

Thanks for your help guys!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom