Malaysia - east mainland coast islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justinechn

I actually have been to the oil platform on Sep or Oct a few years ago. Indeed, there were days of really huge sea swell and strong wind. I always thought "the monsoon had come early" but it got better a day after than.

I think October for diving is still 50-50 chance. I'll probably just stay at work and collect some money for next year's diving :)

justinechn:
Hey bubble..

I saw in one of your earlier posts, you will be going to perhentian for your IDC in October? Will the weather be good still? I have a couple of friends who went offshore for work and it seems the sea conditions are quite choppy at the moment?

I've got my DM manuals and was planning to get it done before the end of this season. Just started on the reviews. Hehe :D

no, wont be going to perhentian until late February to do our IDC (see my sig), after doing a few fun dives in Thailand:jump: :jump:

Just to round off this thread...

A big thanks to whoever recommended the Coral Sky guys on the Perentians. Our original plan was to just spend a couple of days diving with them and then move off somewhere else but the diving was so good that we ended up spending the whole holiday there. The Dive Masters were really knowledgable and enthusiastic about the sites and the marine life and were also great instructors - I felt I learnt as much during those fun dives as I did during my Open Water course.

As regards alcohol.....

Although it's rarely on the menu, beer seemed to be available in several of the restaurants although, with the crowds of Gap Year Kids there, I found myself wishing the islands were alcohol-free

chikatetsu:
with the crowds of Gap Year Kids there, I found myself wishing the islands were alcohol-free

you wouldnt have had them if you had gone to Flora bay....:mooner:

hey glad you had a good time, I cant wait to get back out there.:D

Just got back from Perhentian.

The dives were good, but was nothing fantastic, except for the sighting of rare bumphead parrotfish and emperor angelfish. Photos coming out soon.

Got some problem at Tokong Laut when this ars*hole (another diver) suddenly had panic attack (his last dive was a year ago). With only one Alu Alu Diver DM, she had her hand full trying to calm him down from 15-20 metres back to the boat within a few minutes. We ended out drifted 500 metres away (yes, very far!) from where we supposed to descend. I wasted 20 minutes at some depth before we were instructed to come back up. Finally managed to do an "actual" dive after some swimming, only for 15 minutes because I ran out of air due to the confusion.

Also due to sudden change in depth, I eventually had equalisation problem. So only managed two dives for that day before decided to retire :(

Oh well, these things happens all the time.

I just got back from Indonesia.. backpacking & diving.. it was amazing!! Will be going to Perhentian to end the season there this Friday. Just want to get in the water! :eyebrow:

Looking forward to the photos.
Pity about the aborted dive, these things happen.
Do they like you to stay with the DM, personally if the site is benign, no big currents, etc, then I prefer to head off with my buddy and do our own thing, especially if I have a camera with me.

Not long now and I will fell that hot malaysian sun on my back roll on October.

victor:
Looking forward to the photos.
Pity about the aborted dive, these things happen.
Do they like you to stay with the DM, personally if the site is benign, no big currents, etc, then I prefer to head off with my buddy and do our own thing, especially if I have a camera with me.

Not long now and I will fell that hot malaysian sun on my back roll on October.
Me too! I was so excited to take photos, I held my buddy's hand tight because we were really lost, imagine, 25 metres deep on my gauge, and we saw nothing! Only when I resurfaced that I saw how far we went astray for 20 minutes underwater, no thanks to that dude.

Anyway, our second dive, Alu Alu sent out 2 DMs, one was personally to take care of that panicky dude (and his buddy wasn't far off in help-me-i'm-scared-of-the-water panic scale).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom