Malaysia - east mainland coast islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HMS ThanEt is apparently marked in nautical charts off Pulau Kaban, West Malaysia near coordinates Lat: 2.6666667, Long: 103.7666667. The wreck is accessible just off Endau.

Bowmouth:
What are in your opinion the 3 BEST dive sites at Perhentian?

tukong laot
sugar wreck (although I have heard we were very lucky with our viz)
tanjun basi

but there are many more awesome dive sites

Bowmouth:
What are in your opinion the 3 BEST dive sites at Perhentian? And do you have any current information (including GPS coordinates) of the HMS Thanat?:D
Bowmouth, actually 2 weeks from now will be my first time diving in Perhentian (I only got certified last year). But I agree that Chebeh in Tioman, thus far, is the best dive site I've experienced. My Chebeh dive photos and report: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/html/tioman/dive/chebeh.shtml

Bowmouth:
What are in your opinion the 3 BEST dive sites at Perhentian? And do you have any current information (including GPS coordinates) of the HMS Thanat?:D

Vietnamnese Wreck - Barracudas, sea pens, tubular anemones.. The swim through is very good.

Secret Reef - loads of bamboo sharks, lion fish. Viz can be poor.

Terumbu Tiga (T3)

just got back last weekend from redang and dived with coral redang. great resort with excellent food. divemasters there are very professional. beer is definitely not a problem. coral has an excellent bar and beer is also available at other resorts, etc. viz was mixed. we had a really good dive at kerengga kecil - where we had schools of barracudas, jacks and treavallis.

dived with coral sky at perhentian about 2 years back. also professional outfit but much more basic. beer is available. sugar wreck is a nice dive but try to go early before crowds stir up the muck. try to also save some time to explore upper structure some nice lionfish there.

tioman is currently a duty free island and beer is readily available and cheaper than coke. chebeh remains a good site.

in terms of accommodation and food redang is best. damn good chinese restaurant at redang beach resort.

I actually stayed at Coral Redang Resort a few weeks ago. The resort is quite a premium, and probably on the same level as Laguna Redang and Redang Beach Resort. The pool side lounge called The Chicak Bar seemed to have unlimited supply of alcohol (I don't drink though, but I smoke after every dive, HEHE).

So anyone else is going to Perhentian this National Day Weekend? :)

Traminer, Justinechn, Bubblemonkey and Malaysia-Islands thanks for your input. I will try to dive all the recommended spots at Perhentian next time I'm there (this coming October). I will be with my "own" boat and so can decide myself where and when to dive. If any of you have any other recommendations/special sites please let me know!

justinechn:
Vietnamnese Wreck - Barracudas, sea pens, tubular anemones.. The swim through is very good.

Secret Reef - loads of bamboo sharks, lion fish. Viz can be poor.

always had terrible viz at vietnamese wreck but have seen some cool stuff there, as for secret reef have only ever done it once and it was awesome 20m viz loads of stuff but so short as its a deepish dive......roll on that Nitrox qualification.

bubblemonkey:
always had terrible viz at vietnamese wreck but have seen some cool stuff there, as for secret reef have only ever done it once and it was awesome 20m viz loads of stuff but so short as its a deepish dive......roll on that Nitrox qualification.

Hey bubble..

I saw in one of your earlier posts, you will be going to perhentian for your IDC in October? Will the weather be good still? I have a couple of friends who went offshore for work and it seems the sea conditions are quite choppy at the moment?

I've got my DM manuals and was planning to get it done before the end of this season. Just started on the reviews. Hehe :D

Back
Top Bottom