Malaysia - east mainland coast islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chikatetsu:
wow guys - that's fantastic. Very quick replies and just what we were looking for.

Following Bubblemonkey's advice I think we'll go for Perhentian and the link to the place that Jason recommended looks perfect as they also do a quick refresher course. Not really related to diving but it is true that alochol is hard to come by on the island?

Yes, it's true. Flora Bay's restaurant doesn't serve alcohol, but sometimes the dive pros have a personal stock of beer, and they might be persuaded to let you have some :wink: Or you can bring in your own. The dive center at Flora Bay has a fridge you can pop of few cans of beer in.

yup Azman wont mind you using the fridge in the dive shop but they wont let you drink it in the restauraunt, its all about respect.

go dive at flora bay and take some beer with you.

oh and tell them Billy says hello.

The local Muslims mostly do no consume alcohol and do not mind if non-Muslims drink to their hearts' wishes. The key is to be respectful to what the local customs entail. Isn't it part of the whole seeing-a-whole-new-world that makes travelling great.

If really the would-be travelers find the scarcity of booze is a MAJOR problem, by all means, that's what Phuket and the Phillippines are for :) But for the rest who think it is part and parcel of seeing a different place with different living and diving environment, they will surely enjoy Perhentian. In fact, I do think Redang and Perhentian are quite overcrowded with tourists anyway. I think they could not be bothered with such trivial matters as long as the holiday is hassle-free and enjoyable.

jiveturkey:
I was able to find alcohol there. For some reason, diving makes me crave beer more than any other sport I do. Ironic isn't it.

So I always have 1 or 2 after a dive. No more that that if I'm diving the next day. Any shop with a fridge will have cans of Carlsberg and Guinness.

yeah, my point exactly. I'm not a Beer Monster or anything but nothing is better than a couple of cold beers in the evening. I've been to Malaysia before but only around Borneo so I just wanted to know about areas with a stronger Muslim influence. Thanks again for all the replies. I've emailed the guys at Coral Sky Divers and if they're full I might be back on here asking about an alternative

Some usefull hints

Look for shops with Chinese writing on the outside, or where the majority of the clientele and staff are Chinese. These shops usually sell beer.

While most of the restaurants I went to on Perhentian did not sell beer, when I asked the waiter politely if they knew anywhere I could get a beer they volunteered to get one for me, and yes they did get a good tip.
On the other hand a loud rude lady who demanded beer never did find out where the source was.
:lol:

I found everyone on Perhentian very polite, friendly and very helpful.
Only about 8 weeks to my next trip to Malaysia

Beer at Perhentian Besar..!

Well, we usually get them at Watercolours for RM 9.00 or you can head to the chinese shop after it for RM 8.00 a can..

At Kecil, you can find it anywhere.. almost.

Yeah for some reason, beer tastes really good after a full days' dive!

If alcohol is an issue, you should try Tioman. It's a duty free island so grog is cheap. I usually dive with this mob:

http://tioman-dive-centre.com/

I was there four weeks ago and saw a mob of about 30 squid.

yeah but the diving isnt as good as perhentian neither is the scenery as beutiful IMHO, but the big monitors are cool.

bubblemonkey:
yeah but the diving isnt as good as perhentian neither is the scenery as beutiful IMHO, but the big monitors are cool.

The ONE site that stands really out at Tioman is Pulau Chebeh. IMO this one islet offers better diving than anywhere in Perhentian. Also, the hike through the jungle (over the mountain) on Tioman is great and the scenery up there VERY beautiful.:D

malaysia-islands:
The local Muslims mostly do no consume alcohol and do not mind if non-Muslims drink to their hearts' wishes. The key is to be respectful to what the local customs entail. Isn't it part of the whole seeing-a-whole-new-world that makes travelling great.

If really the would-be travelers find the scarcity of booze is a MAJOR problem, by all means, that's what Phuket and the Phillippines are for :) But for the rest who think it is part and parcel of seeing a different place with different living and diving environment, they will surely enjoy Perhentian. In fact, I do think Redang and Perhentian are quite overcrowded with tourists anyway. I think they could not be bothered with such trivial matters as long as the holiday is hassle-free and enjoyable.

I agree. I also think alcohol shouldn't be one of the major things what's on one's mind when travelling and/or diving. Way too many travellers are too ignorant about local customs and laws and sometimes behave badly and unrespectful towards the local community. It happens everywhere in Asia, not just in the Muslim countries. :D

Back
Top Bottom