Malaria Prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As of now I'm still looking for that elusive dive travel destination, and I have several questions about one of the most prominant destinations of them all, Cozumel. According to all of those travel medicine websites, Mexico, and especially Quintana Roo province where Cozumel is, is rampant with malaria, hepatitides, various hemorrhagic fevers, and most other tropical maladies known to man. It seems that divers love Cozumel and Cancun regardless. Anyway, if I visit Cozumel, I'm probably going to stay in one of the hotels on the island between the city and the southern hotel zone (Presidente maybe), and plan to visit the popular tourist attractions on the mainland between diving days. Would I have to use any medical precautions like malaria prevention or hepatitides shots, or will a cavalier attitude, a lime, and some bugspray be enough? Do travelers to Cozumel usually take any kind of medical precautions? Is there really anything to worry about? Also, I know this is kind of a redundant quesiton, but here goes, is the diving in Cozumel really that good?

Thanks for your help
-Mantasscareme

Mantasscareme:
As of now I'm still looking for that elusive dive travel destination, and I have several questions about one of the most prominant destinations of them all, Cozumel. According to all of those travel medicine websites, Mexico, and especially Quintana Roo province where Cozumel is, is rampant with malaria, hepatitides, various hemorrhagic fevers, and most other tropical maladies known to man. It seems that divers love Cozumel and Cancun regardless. Anyway, if I visit Cozumel, I'm probably going to stay in one of the hotels on the island between the city and the southern hotel zone (Presidente maybe), and plan to visit the popular tourist attractions on the mainland between diving days. Would I have to use any medical precautions like malaria prevention or hepatitides shots, or will a cavalier attitude, a lime, and some bugspray be enough? Do travelers to Cozumel usually take any kind of medical precautions? Is there really anything to worry about? Also, I know this is kind of a redundant quesiton, but here goes, is the diving in Cozumel really that good?

Thanks for your help
-Mantasscareme

Yes, the diving really is that good, and in all my visits to Cozumel (something on the order of 25 since 1978) and in a long time hanging out in this forum and others, I've never heard of anyone having an encounter with any of the maladies you list. I don't take any extraordinary health precautions beyond not drinking the tap water.

Cozumel is not on any list requiring malaria or hep prophylaxis. If you want to be sure you can check the CDC web site but I have never had to take any or give my patients any going there.

Mantasscareme:

Thanks for your help
-Mantasscareme

You're right that the Yucatan is considered a "malarial endemic area." But I know many people who dive there twice a year or more and no one has ever gotten sick (beyond the occasional Montezuma's revenge). The biggest effect is likely to be if you donate blood, since a visit to the Yucatan means you're deferred from donating for a year. Last I heard, this applies only to the mainland, not to Cozumel itself, but I'm no longer up on these things; since I lived in Europe during the 80s I'm permanently deferred due to the mad cow risk.
Mosquito repellent is definitely recommended if you go inland, but beyond that I wouldn't worry.

drl:
You're right that the Yucatan is considered a "malarial endemic area." But I know many people who dive there twice a year or more and no one has ever gotten sick (beyond the occasional Montezuma's revenge). The biggest effect is likely to be if you donate blood, since a visit to the Yucatan means you're deferred from donating for a year. Last I heard, this applies only to the mainland, not to Cozumel itself, but I'm no longer up on these things; since I lived in Europe during the 80s I'm permanently deferred due to the mad cow risk.
Mosquito repellent is definitely recommended if you go inland, but beyond that I wouldn't worry.

Cozumel is not on the malaria list as Dr. jpomerantz confirmed. Before I moved here, I went to the travel clinic in Austin and got all necessary vaccinations, updated my tetanus and got my hepatitis vaccinations. They gave me malaria pills just in case I was traveling outside of Cozumel/Cancun area (ie: Belize, south American, etc.), but NOT to use in Cozumel.

There have been some cases of Dengue fever here, but not epidemic cases.

Interestingly enough, the week after Emily, one of the doctors from the Mexican equivalent of the CDC was here in Cozumel to assess the mosquito situation after the hurricane. I had the pleasure of speaking to him and his wife (also a Dr.) and was pleased to learn what they are doing to improve the mosquito problem and to prevent epidemic cases of Dengue fever and other mosquito borne diseases.

Trucks spray every night throughout the island (with a new chemical that is not harmful to man or animal) and is quite effective for the mosquitoes. In addition to this, they have placed numerous magnetic type devices all over the island that each covers up to 5 acres. This is an experimental thing they are trying...so we don't know if they actually work yet.

In October 2001, I was diagnosed with a very mild case of dengue (like a REALLY bad flu), so I was very interested to hear of all of this. They also explained to me that the hemorrhagic dengue fever is very rare, and only occurs if you get dengue a second time and it is a different string of dengue. A single dengue virus is not hemorrhagic, it is when your body carries two strings and they counteract each other to produce the very dangerous hybrid of the virus combination. However, they have only seen one string of Dengue here, so that was very positive news for me  This is how I understood it anyway.

Point is, you shouldn’t need any shots that you shouldn’t have even living in the USA. My best advice for staying healthy while vacationng in Coz is:
1. Be prudent but not overly paranoid about what/where you eat
2. Stay well hydrated with water (all water served is bottled water as is ice)
3. Don’t overindulge on the alcohol
4. Wear plenty of sunscreen (biodegradable please)
5. Have fun!!!!

The Blood Banks used to disqualify you from donating for a year if you visited the southern end or interior of Cozumel, but I don't know if that is current. I've been going to Central America every year, so can no longer donate. You do want to spray well before going to the south end, as the skeeters are wicked.

For Coz and if I ever do the Yucatan coast, I just consider the same precautions I use in Texas, i.e. up to date Tetanus, Hep A, Hep B shots, don't touch the dogs and cats or any other animals, stick to recommended restaurants, and maybe add a quart of Gatorade to your daily intake to ensure hydration.

Any further inland or south and I do take the malaria prophylactics suggested for Latin America - the once a week pills with few problems. A temporary pharmacist in my home town tried to substitute the other meds for the malaria found overseas, but I rejected the pills. The owner came over the next day to apologize. :)

I have donated blood 3 times since my trip to Coz in July 2004. They ask where I've been and I tell them. No problem

Steve - 3 gallons of blood donated and counting ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom