Trip Report Bonaire - March 2022 - some boat diving with Dive Friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This was my eighth trip to Bonaire since my wife and I started visiting in 2009, but the first in which we did a boat dive. On this trip, in addition to plenty of shore dives, we did three 2-tank morning boat trips, for a total of six boat dives. I’m glad we did them, but I doubt we will do boat dives again on future Bonaire trips. My trip reports tend to have themes, and I believe the theme of this one is boat dives.

To me, the shore diving is what makes Bonaire unique among dive destinations. Where else in the world can you conveniently rent a truck with a tank rack, cruise up and down a coastal road marked with yellow stones with the names of dive sites, park, and dive any site that suits your fancy, then exchange your empty tanks in minutes at a dive shop’s drive-up/drive-through station? There may be great shore diving elsewhere, but I can see how this combination of factors has led some to refer to Bonaire as the shore diving capital of the world.

My wife and I stayed at the Den Laman condominium unit known as the Parrotfish, managed by Sunwise. Having read @scubadada's trip reports with descriptions of Den Laman’s units, we decided to give them a try. We generally think of ourselves as budget travelers, and for us this place was somewhat of a splurge. We really enjoyed the spacious 1-br unit and its seaview terrace and now have been totally spoiled by the experience. We booked the dive package with Dive Friends Bonaire, whom we have used for shore diving packages on several previous trips. The onsite DFB location (shared between Den Laman and Sand Dollar) was very convenient, especially for dives at our “house reef,” Bari, from Den Laman’s pier.

But back to the focus of this report—the boat dives. For years we had been meaning to try some boat dives, but with us enjoying the shore diving so much we just never got around to booking boat dives. Were we missing out on something? Our conclusion is no, not really. Some Klein Bonaire sites we visited indeed had a slightly different feel than sites on the main island. But only slightly. The first day we were taken to Edo’s Special and Carl’s Hill on Klein Bonaire. Carl’s Hill felt different in that it was a multi-level dive, going up and down some varied topography; a nice change from cruising along a slope the entire dive. And there was some healthy elkhorn coral (possibly replanted from the coral nurseries). The second day we visited Leonora’s Reef on Klein Bonaire, then to Small Wall over on the main island. We felt neither of these sites were that interesting, though I suppose if there had been a sleeping nurse shark or something in Small Wall’s little cavern it would have been different, but no such luck. The third day we went first to Captain Don’s Reef on Klein Bonaire. We liked that site for its flat area on top where for the later part of the dive we swam around in the shallows. There’s a plaque dedicated to Captain Don. Then we did Nearest Point, so named because it’s the nearest point on Klein Bonaire to the main island’s original hotel, now the site of Divi Flamingo. At Nearest Point we saw squid, and finished the dive by floating around a coral head with an octopus perched on top. Nearest Point’s topography is nice, too—a broad, sloping wall, densely covered with healthy-looking coral. All in all, I would say boat dives to Klein Bonaire are worth doing at least one trip out of, oh I dunno, eight. :wink: I think the dives on this one trip were enough to satisfy our curiosity, and we will not likely do any more on future trips.

With I believe one exception, we had different people each day on the boat. From my recollection, the number of divers ranged from around 6 to 10, and the boats felt spacious enough. Most of our fellow divers seemed inexperienced. DFB apparently tailored the dives to this level of experience. The divemaster (also different each day) stayed mostly at a depth of about 50 feet along the slopes, although in the pre-dive briefing the DM said that anyone with the training/experience to dive deeper would be free to do so. The buddy system seemed to be advocated but not strictly enforced, as I have found to be common in many locations. If someone lacked a buddy, the diver was nominally paired with the DM. Depending on the DM, we were either asked to signal when our tank pressure reached half-full or, more annoyingly, to return a numerical sign when asked our tank pressure. (I never surfaced with less than about 1000 psi on these dives, despite getting dive times of one hour.) One diver consistently dived deeper than the group, though he didn’t appear to be any more skilled than the others, out in the blue, tens of feet above the reef, in a trim angle I’d say was like 45 degrees, with arms dog-paddling and legs bicycling, and waving a small flashlight about in one hand (nowhere close enough to illuminate anything). He was the most memorable example, but several of the other divers exhibited lack of skills as well. Several times I had to duck out of the way of an errant fin kick from an oblivious diver. I believe we met two people who mentioned they had just taken refresher courses. I watched someone apparently having a difficult time recalling how to set up his gear. There were several people diving in shorties, some rented from DFB, and with the water temperature being 79-80F I saw goose bumps and some shivering. (My wife and I dived 5/4mm full suits and we felt they were just enough for the water temps and amount of diving we did; we started feeling chilly on dives late in the day or the night dive.) And as if we didn’t have enough stereotypes, there was the guy who compared everything to the experiences he had diving in the Maldives (“At the Maldives resort we stayed in, it was valet diving”), giving us the impression he hadn’t dived in many places. I have done day-boat dives in other well-trodden places in the Caribbean, such as Cozumel and Grand Bahama, and I don’t recall diving with so many inexperienced divers before. Not a BP/W or streamlined OW rig in sight. These are the “vacation divers” who get spoken of somewhat disparagingly on forums such as ours. Nevertheless, except for the one or two times I cringed when someone’s fin hit the coral, I really didn’t mind the idea of diving with people like this. Rather, it felt kind of refreshing to be reminded that divers come in all stripes. A couple of people mentioned that they do boat diving because the shore diving is getting harder with age or physical limitations. Every one of them we talked to seemed nice, and just happy to be on vacation in Bonaire. I should add that the DFB crew were exceedingly nice, too.

I can only speak to DFB’s boat dives, and I have no way to know if boat dives with other dive ops may be different.

[continued]

[continued]

We did several dives, including some night and twilight dives on our house reef, Bari. Yes, we saw the frogfish mentioned in recent discussions. (I’m not a photographer, so I have no photos to share.) And we even got to do a dive there with @uncfnp and @Soloist, whose last dive day of their trip was the first dive day of ours. We averaged 3.5 dives per day over six days of diving. Other sites we hit on this trip included The Lake, Angel City, Invisibles, Salt Pier and White Slave down south, and Oil Slick and 1000 Steps to the north. We would have hit Salt Pier again had it not been closed to diving for “maintenance.” Closer to home, we hit Bachelor’s Beach, Something Special, and The Cliff. On the northern day, we drove back through Rincon for lunch at the Rose Inn, a tradition of ours.

On the topic of food, we also enjoyed local fare (goat stew) at Maiky Snack, getting take-out at Doner Station after a night dive, a wahoo sandwich from the Kite City food truck, a chimichurri steak sandwich from Julian’s, and a snack of bitterballen from La Cantina/The Brewery washed down with a Bonaire Blonde on our departure day. We also gave Beer & Burgers a try after reading of it in a thread in which someone asked which restaurants offer a beer list with more than just light lagers. I’m particular about how I like my burgers, and I would say they do a reasonably good job. The Dutch and Belgians do know how to cook meat to order; my wife’s medium-rare and my rare burger were dead-on. But most meals we cooked ourselves in the condo. I discovered that leftover smoked chicken from the Royal Kip Tukkie makes excellent chicken salad. We bought way too much food from Van den Tweel, making the most of the opportunity to eat Dutch cheeses and cured meats. We also gave the renovated Zhung Kong supermarket a try for groceries. As has been mentioned in other trip reports, the sign no longer says “Zhung Kong” but rather simply “Supermarket.” They stock the basics, lots of frozen items, and a good selection of Chinese items, but little in the way of fresh vegetables or fruit, not as much of the Dutch specialties as Van den Tweel, and they do not stock regular Amstel, only Amstel Bright. It’s a little neater, but still the old Zhung Kong.

We rented the truck from AB. We had long been using Telerin (Marcolva “Poppy” Henriquez), known for their economical prices and high-mileage vehicles. On this trip we wanted to give Bonaire Truck Rental a try, but they had no vehicles available even several months in advance, so we opted for AB. With the 10% discount available for booking our accommodations through Sunwise, AB’s price was not all that much higher than Telerin’s. We were disappointed that our AB truck was not one of those shiny new ones we had long envied but rather more like what we were accustomed to from Telerin. We were just unlucky, as we saw numerous better-looking AB trucks on the road. Also, picking up the truck at AB’s office took longer than we had expected. Upon getting driven over there in a van, we had to wait in line at the counter behind a couple of other parties, both of whom had some sort of hiccup in their reservations that caused delay (from what I overheard, it sounded like one had given an incorrect address). I prefer Telerin’s procedure, where the truck is waiting for you in the airport parking lot, and you’re on your way in minutes. Drop-off at AB’s office before our flight home went much smoother.

Glad you guys made it and had a good trip. With the COVID-19 testing that's been in place so long, just getting to a destination (then back home) has become less of a taken-for-granted blessing than it used to be.

“At the Maldives resort we stayed in, it was valet diving”
A key I hope people glean from these trip reports is that every destination has its own diving workflow. The shore diving Bonaire is known for is considerably more labor-intensive than live-aboard or 'valet diving' op.s often tend to be. You were discussing the issue in the context of boat diving, not shore diving, of course. Someone wanting a 'valet' experience might try V.I.P. Diving, since that's one of the things they're known for.

The Maldives fan might better stay away from Jupiter, FL, or California diving. That said, considering the destinations frequently by many sporadic vacation divers, it's understandable that they might come to assume valet diving is the industry standard practice.

Something Special
Did you have any trouble finding and getting to it this trip? I had to stop at the nearby Dive Friends retail location nearby, and a staff person walked out with me and explained where it was. Then I had to go figure out how to get to the parking area.

We bought way too much food from Van den Tweel, making the most of the opportunity to eat Dutch cheeses and cured meats.
You're braver than I am. Shopping at Van den Tweel made me feel illiterate, so I was conservative about what to get.

We generally think of ourselves as budget travelers, and for us this place was somewhat of a splurge.
Think you'll 'splurge' in the future? What places do you guys normally stay?

Richard.

What a pleasure to read! I have been eyeing Den Leman for an August vacation. My favorite unit at Playa Lechi is booked, so I am looking at other options. My husband is a beer snob, so it looks like we will have to try some of the places you listed. I love shopping at Van den Tweel. Never too much cheese or Beeterballen:wink: Just don't make my mistake of purchasing un- caffeinated coffee; it took me a couple of days to figure out why I was such a shrew on morning dives.

Hi, Richard. I believe I missed overlapping with your trip by a week. Would be great to dive with you someday.
Did you have any trouble finding and getting to it this trip? I had to stop at the nearby Dive Friends retail location nearby, and a staff person walked out with me and explained where it was. Then I had to go figure out how to get to the parking area.
Parking is usually difficult at Something Special, since it's smack in town. And I'm not sure where the yellow marker stone is; if there is one, it's probably faded. But Something Special and Yellow Submarine are some of our favorite sites. When we're tired and want an easy dive (super-easy entry and exit, no surge, etc.), we might head for one of these sites. Frogfish are often seen at these sites, though we had no such luck.
You're braver than I am. Shopping at Van den Tweel made me feel illiterate, so I was conservative about what to get.
Admission: Wife's first language is Dutch. We're familiar with the products.
Think you'll 'splurge' in the future? What places do you guys normally stay?
The majority of our trips have been as part of a group of 6-10 people, and we get some economy by splitting costs. Last trip, 10 of us rented one of those big houses across from VIP Diving (you have mentioned you stayed nearby and used VIP Diving). On trips where it was just my wife and me, we've stayed at Hamlet Oasis and Buddy Dive. No sea view, for sure. I don't know if we'd splurge again. When we used to visit Asia, we'd stay in budget digs the size of shoeboxes, sometimes with no A/C, for the equivalent of like 30-50 bucks a night, but we have increasingly realized we appreciate more comfortable lodging as we get older. It may be a continuing trend toward more comfort. We'll see how the finances go when I retire.

When I was there in 2019, I used Reef Smart Guides Bonaire to find Something Special; there was a business called Gooodive with a big sign. This time (Feb. 2022), that wasn't there (that I saw). I've had enough drama hunting it over the years, that if you don't mind a minor thread hijack, I'll post about it here.

As you head north on the coast-hugging road (Kaya Gob. N. Debrot), shortly before you hit the Harbor Village/marina area, you may see 2 things; on your left is the next Between2Buns location, and just past that on your right is a Dive Friends Bonaire retail store. I'll describe this from the perspective of having pulled into the Dive Friends parking lot.

Looking across the road, I see Between2Buns, and immediately south of that, the fenced in parking lot (only) for Between2Buns customers. And the Dive Friends staffer told me parking on this roadside isn't allowed.

In between Between2Buns and their parking lot is a little side road I assume goes to the sea, but there are about 3 (concrete?) barriers down that little road, so it's not workable. Bummer.

Just south past their parking lot is another little side road to the oceanfront; at the end it curves sharply left (south), and has an arrow letting you know it's 1-way, so don't take a right. Problem: the Something Special dive site is right of that.

On the right of that little side road is a place you could in theory pull off; it's overgrown, you may scratch your truck's paint on branches, and it feels kinda isolated. How bad do you want to dive Something Special again?

Instead, drive down that little road, and just as you turn left into that curve at the arrow, put your truck into reverse and look in your rear view mirror. You should see this:

IMG_8525.jpeg

I'm not sure, but I think the yellow rock may be on the left and not quite as far as that distant gray car on the left. You see there is room for at least a couple of dive trucks to park here roadside.

From the water, it looks something like this:
IMG_8526.jpeg

You enter and exit to the right of that wall at the far right of this photo. The path, judging from the Reef Smart Guides Bonaire (which says you enter by that white wall), is heading northwest (like I'm doing here), passing across in front of this big building, then doing the dive.

My camera remained in underwater mode, so topside colors can be a bit 'warm.'

Off the top of my head, I don't recall ever diving the Yellow Submarine site.

For Something Special, we went on Sunday morning and parked in the Between 2 Buns lot with several other trucks - they are closed on Sundays! Also, B2B close at 4 p.m. other days, so the parking lot is available after that. Yes, it's a short walk with your tanks down the road and through the 3 barriers, but no worse that some of the other dive sites. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom