Malaria Prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme:
What about hepatides risk?
:hmmm: You mean...
The histological criteria of chronic hepatides (chronic persistent and aggressive hepatitis)
Most don't bother, just like most don't bother with malaria prophylactics in risk areas, but I do - as I said above. I keep my Hep A and Hep B shots up to date

DandyDon:
The Blood Banks used to disqualify you from donating for a year if you visited the southern end or interior of Cozumel, but I don't know if that is current.

Just got back from Cozumel and my mother went to donate blood last week. The blood bank was fine with her going to Cozumel but when they found out she went to Tulum they said no way for a year.

drl:
You're right that the Yucatan is considered a "malarial endemic area." But I know many people who dive there twice a year or more and no one has ever gotten sick (beyond the occasional Montezuma's revenge). The biggest effect is likely to be if you donate blood, since a visit to the Yucatan means you're deferred from donating for a year. Last I heard, this applies only to the mainland, not to Cozumel itself, but I'm no longer up on these things; since I lived in Europe during the 80s I'm permanently deferred due to the mad cow risk.
Mosquito repellent is definitely recommended if you go inland, but beyond that I wouldn't worry.

Ok we have some conflicting information. I have never been deferred from giving blood due to visits to Cancun and have been there plenty of times. Also I lived in Eurpope 1985-1987 and have never been deferred for that either.

In regards to Malaria I know that quinine helps to prevent and is readily available in tonic water so I make sure to drink plenty of gin & tonics while in Cozumel.
:D

chugmeister:
Ok we have some conflicting information. I have never been deferred from giving blood due to visits to Cancun and have been there plenty of times. Also I lived in Eurpope 1985-1987 and have never been deferred for that either.
The US blood banks do have rules and regs in common, but there are some differences between them, too. Perhaps yours uses a more flexible interpretation?

The one serving West Texas does not disqualify for Cancun, but does for further inland. They used to for inland and southern Cozumel but may have removed that in the last two years for all I know.

And where in Europe you lived may be the factor there. The US used to buy a lot of blood from Europe where supplies are more plentiful to offset local shortages and may still do so.

We really are steering this thread away from the question, but I guess we addressed it well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom