malaria and wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. There is no way you can avoid mossie bite. You can spray your room and your body with whatever chemical you can imagine but you will still get bitten. As for the anti-malaria tablet, there is no magic bullet. And as someone had mentioned: Dengue Fever is more lethal than malaria. Do not scratch the bites, I had seen horrendous infection.
2. A cheap full suit(3mm) to protcet from stings under water.

Dengue Fever is more lethal than malaria.
You can't say that.

There is no treatment for dengue, it is certainly lethal in some acute cases but most of the times it is OK (I've already had it once when I was living in South Pacific). It's undoubtely a threat, like also Chikungunya in Africa or Japanese encephalitis, and all those mosquito borne diseases.

On the other side, malaria kills more than 100.000 people per year, 10 times more than dengue.

I'd agree with Luko.

It's not black and white. I suggest the point is doing the best you can to protect yourself, for any threat. Just taking the pill isn't going to protect you from everything if you allow yourself to be bitten, though bites are likely inevitable. It's more a question of quantity control and making your best effort. You can put your seatbelt on or leave it off.

Malaria - CDC - Malaria - About Malaria - FAQs

Versus

Dengue - CDC - Epidemiology - Dengue

Above links provide figures CDC estimates for case and death rates rather than spouting random numbers. Malaria kills far more people worldwide than Dengue.

Here is a interactive map where users can determine the Malaria threat level for the region they are traveling to: CDC Malaria Map Application

Specifically for Indonesia, here's a link to the current Malaria Risk Information and prophylactic agent information:
Current CDC Guidelines:
Chapter 2 - Malaria Risk Information and Prophylaxis, by Country - Indonesia - 2010 Yellow Book | CDC Travelers' Health

1 - Areas with of Indonesia with Malaria
Rural areas of Sumatra, Sulawesi, Kalimantan (Borneo) and Nusa Tenggara Barat (includes island of Lombok)

All areas of eastern Indonesia (provinces of Papua Indonesia, Irian Jaya Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur, Maluku, and Maluku Utara).

None in Jakarta or resort areas of Bali and Java.

Low transmission in rural areas of Java

2 - Drug Resistance
Chloroquine (P. falciparum and P. vivax)

3 - Malaria Species:
P. falciparum 66%

4 - Recommended Chemoprophylaxis:
Atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine
Remainder primarily P. vivax

If your concern stems from experiencing bad side affects from a previous prophylactic agent you may have used, you should consult your doctor on other possible agents that could be prescribed instead, or if there are ways to mitigate specific side affects.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You can't say that.

There is no treatment for dengue, it is certainly lethal in some acute cases but most of the times it is OK (I've already had it once when I was living in South Pacific). It's undoubtely a threat, like also Chikungunya in Africa or Japanese encephalitis, and all those mosquito borne diseases.

On the other side, malaria kills more than 100.000 people per year, 10 times more than dengue.
The way I understand it, the first infection with dengue is relatively benign. It's the second infection by a different strain that can kill you (become hemmorhagic fever). Malaria, however, can potentially stick with you for life. No treatment is 100% effective against the parasite (nor are the preventive medications 100% effective at preventing infection).

Still, one can't say to not bother with anti-malarials just because there is no preventive medication for dengue. If there were an anti-dengue drug on the market, I'd take it in a heartbeat just like I take anti-malarials whenever I'm in a malarial area. Better safe than sorry.

Still, one can't say to not bother with anti-malarials just because there is no preventive medication for dengue. If there were an anti-dengue drug on the market, I'd take it in a heartbeat just like I take anti-malarials whenever I'm in a malarial area. Better safe than sorry.
Yes I agree, though it's up to everyone to chose how they will cope with the risks given they know the level of risk.

Once again I have been living 7 years in a mosquito infested country, no resident could take a preventive medication, I caught dengue once and fortunately kept malaria away. It's easier to keep a long term strategy for nightly mosquitoes such as anopheles (mossie net, repellent, long sleeves from sunset) than handle day mossies like culiens pipex which bears the dengue disease.

Currently, whenever I am going to Asia or South pacific I am not taking any anti malaria medics, but this is my choice. The exception was 3 years ago I took antimalarials in Mozambique (my wife had brought enough Atovaquone) when I saw the number of holes on the mosquito nets in my room and that the resort manager was sweating from fever from 9AM until late at night. Again, that's me.

I wouldn't suggest taking mefloquine while diving as it may lead to disturbing effects, one of my friends had vertigos during the day. Atovaquone/proguanil is much cleaner but very expensive... as for doxycycline, better not expose yourself to the sun.

I don't take anti-malarials in SE Asia. I permethrin treat my clothes & sleep sack and use DEET on my skin.
I will still get maybe 2 or 3 bites in a month trip.
If I contract something, it is going to be plain old bad luck.

Each to his (her) own ... I'll take Malarone in my system over DEET any day ...

40 years ago I wound up with Malaria in S.E. Asia.All I can say is do whatever you can to avoid it.

Well, taking malaria tablets (like malarone for example) when you are not sick, will make you sick for sure. I remember a tourist in west India that took malaria tablets had to stop to take them because he got sick of them, he was so scared of catching malaria after all the rumours he heard on the net.
This is what the doc told me : if u get sick of malaria, take the tablets, that will ease the disease and go straight away to the doctor. That's it !

You can have the tablets with you, but no need of eating them unless you know for sure you got malaria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom