Malapascua robbery :-(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daveconc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What a pity. Deed of a few can/might tarnish the image of many others...

US vice consul, friend lose rings, cash in Cebu resort
09/22/2007 | 09:50 AM

What started as a relaxing vacation turned out to be a nightmare for a United States vice consul and her friend, who lost P186,000 in cash and jewelry in a beach resort in Cebu.

Radio dzBB reported Saturday that the police have invited two girls at a nearby beach resort cottage for questioning following the theft.

The report said US vice consul Christine Jackson and her companion Therese Cataro lost the items inside the Malapascua Beach Resort in Daanbantayan town.

It was also a black eye for the tourism industry in the province, which the government is heavily promoting.

Jackson said she lost her wedding ring worth P16,000 and P80,000 cash, while Cataro lost her wedding ring worth P10,000 and P80,000 cash.

Initial investigation showed Jackson and Cataro left their valuables inside their cottage before going for a swim. When they returned, the items were missing.

Daanbantayan is a second-class town with a population of 69,336 people in 13,472 households. The island of Malapascua is part of the jurisdiction of the municipality of Daanbantayan. - GMANews.TV

The post might be somewhat misleading.

It doesn't appear that the Malapascua Beach Resort is on the island of Malapascua where most divers in the area go, but rather a resort on the big island of Cebu that uses Malapascua in it's name. There are only fishing villages on relatively undeveloped Malapascua Island. Certainly not towns of 70 thousand.

That being said it is always good sense to safeguard valuables.

Certaily a bummer to hear that, but also brings to mind. Why is someone carrying around P80,000 in cash! I know, credit cards are not as easy to use in PI, ( but I certainly racked up a bill when I was just there), but there are other methods, and why would you take off your wedding ring to go swimming, especially when it's worth only P10,000 (sorry in all do respect). Seems fishy to me!!!:crafty:

oh ok...sorry...wrong choice of title....english is second language here, robbery/B&E/holdup may mean the same here....apologies....

This kind of theft could have happened anywhere...
Common sense is necessary in Cebu as much as anywhere else.
Cheers,
Liberty

Bummer...

but there are other methods, and why would you take off your wedding ring to go swimming, especially when it's worth only P10,000 (sorry in all do respect). Seems fishy to me!!!:crafty:

I bet her husband is feeling really embarrassed now...:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom