Malapascua island or Panglao island???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lambster

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
my wife and I are heading to The Philippines in October and we were wondering if it is better to go to Malapascua island or Panglao island(Alona Beach).

Both sound good from what i have read on the net but i thought it would be better with some real diver feedback..
Whats it like in the philippines weather wise in October??

Also, i have just read some travel warnings for some southern parts of the philippines! Whats it like up near cebu?

Regards,

Lambster...

PS. We are more keen on seeing big things....

I just went thru panglao and dove balicasag. Definitely worth it. Big schools of barracuda, one big silver/ gold barracuda, schooling jacks, amazing corals on the drop offs and in the shallows. Although I didn't stay on alona beach, the area is nice with a wide range of hotels, tons of dive shops, and beachside restaurants. Highly recommend it. Cebu an Bohol are safe. (I'm American...). I'm in Dumaguete now and will be in Malapascua later next week. For big stuff, you can't go wrong with Balicasag (island off of Panglao) and Malapascua. You might want to also throw in Apo island as there are suppose to be barracudas, bumphead parrotfish, and napolean wrasses according to the dive shop on Dumaguete.

Packman, I am very interested in how you like Malapascua vs Cabilao/Balicasag area..I have another thread on Malapascua but I am into the big stuff. I am looking to got next September and am interested in your opinion as to which one you like better for the pelagics.

travelnsj, won't know until later this week. Will head out to Malapasuca on Sept 7. Will report later.

big stuff? not in the philippines! malapascua has the treasure sharks. early in the morning with the occasional manta comming by. besides this also small stuff and sharks at gato island. a wreck is also there. the island itself is small and layed back. kind of bounty feeling.

balicasag is nice too (best site in alona area - in my opinion)

alona beach is very special. restaurants and bars in the palm trees at the beach. very cool feeling.

for diving i would go to malapascua und for the relaxed beach life to alona. but don't get me wrong. diving in alona is ok too, but not more. there are better places in the visayas.

safety: no concerne at all. it is absolutely safe there.

lambster:
Hey,
my wife and I are heading to The Philippines in October and we were wondering if it is better to go to Malapascua island or Panglao island(Alona Beach).

I did both Alona and Malapascua 2 years ago. I'm going back to Malapascua this year but not Alona so that pretty much sums up my view. For me Monad Shoal off Malapascua has to rank as one of the 10 best dive sites anywhere in the world (Threshers & Mantas down to nudis mantis shrimps and pygmy sea horses all on one dive!) and justifies the trip by itself. Throw in Gato and Lighthouse and for me its a done deal.

Hi swisstrav,

swisstrav:
big stuff? not in the philippines!

Have you been to Donsol Bay during peak whale shark season? ; )

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi swisstrav,

Have you been to Donsol Bay during peak whale shark season? ; )

Regards,

DocVikingo
those are just pygmy whale sharks...

Hi lambster,

I love Malapascua Island diving for it beauty, diversity & unspoiledness.

I recall the sites mentioned by isurus with great clarity. Lighthouse is an outrageous night dive.

For the big stuff, e.g., threshers, be aware that it's seasonal http://www.malapascua-diving.com/Guarantee.html.

As others have said, both Malapascua and Alona Beach are perfectly safe.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom