Making (Hearing!) Noise Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive primarily in cold water, with a 5mm hood. A combination of the hood and my extreme youth (not) conspire to affect my ability to hear sound underwater. I use a Veo 2.0 dive computer and do not hear any of its audible alarms.

Are there any reliable underwater noise makers / audible signaling devices that I can equip my son and I with that will work effectively at buddy distances through a hood?

Recomendations welcome!

While I appreciate the plug, I would certainly welcome some other opinions /options as well.

Anyone else?

Does it have to be audible? My preference for signaling is with a torch. For a number of reasons relying on noise to get attention is not ideal.

Given the drawbacks with using sound as a signalling medium underwater, I'd definitely recommend more investigation of visual signalling aids.

My personal opinion is that the use of audible signals typically means that visual communication/monitoring/situational awareness between a buddy team is lacking. Therefore, sourcing an audible signalling device is merely addressing the symptom of an underlying problem, rather than attempting to resolve the core problem that causes it.

Whilst I wouldn't use such a device myself, I have encountered divers using 'Scuba-Alert' horns. They are particularly loud.... and annoying.... and guaranteed to alienate any fellow divers in the water with you that day..

Scub-Alert Underwater Horn [AH-150] : AQUATEC USA, Scuba Diving Equipment

75bfbe08de311ce1d67e4fd953a990e2.image.199x200.jpg

I dive primarily in cold water, with a 5mm hood. A combination of the hood and my extreme youth (not) conspire to affect my ability to hear sound underwater. I use a Veo 2.0 dive computer and do not hear any of its audible alarms.

Are there any reliable underwater noise makers / audible signaling devices that I can equip my son and I with that will work effectively at buddy distances through a hood?

Recomendations welcome!

Petsmart (not petco) has a dog training clicker made of white plastic and stainless steel.
Cost is $1.49, works great. Clicker measures about 2 in.x 1 in. x 3/4 in. and has a key chain
which I clip to my left chest D ring.My hearing is not great (67 yrs. old) and it works fine for
me. Try it and remember that sound travels 5 times or so faster under water.
I wear a 7mm hood as I dive only salt water in NH,MASS,and Maine and I have no trouble
Hearing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom